Vote to Amend the 2nd Amendment....

Thread: Vote to Amend the 2nd Amendment....

Vote to Amend the 2nd Amendment....

Ah...democracy in action.

Amend the 2nd Amendment? Who should bear arms?

Amend the 2nd Amendment? Who should bear arms? Betty and Robert Bailey of Millstone Township, N.J., hold signs during a Second Amendment rally outside the Statehouse in Trenton. (Mel Evans / Associated Press) Travel Deals $69 -- Philly: 52nd-Floor City View Dinner for 2 See all travel deals » CONSTITUTION DAILY Last updated: Wednesday, September 4, 2013, 1:16 PM

Does the Constitution need a new amendment to better define the right to bear arms? Vote now in our “Next 10 Amendments” project! The National Constitution Center’s Next 10 Amendments project is asking Constitution Daily readers to vote about 10 possible changes to the Constitution through the amendment process. We presented 10 topics for discussion starting this summer and the online debates were moderated by Chris Phillips, research fellow of the Center for Programs in Contemporary Writing at the University of Pennsylvania and executive director of the nonprofit organization Democracy Café. We also asked readers to suggest wording for proposed amendments, which went to our editorial board. And after reading the comments and suggestions, we have 10 proposed amendments for our readers to consider. Do you approve or reject the Right To Bear Arms amendment as proposed here? Approve 355 (6.2%) Reject 5334 (93.8%) Total votes = 5689 So exercise your civic duty, join the discussion and check back on Constitution Day to see what America has to say about our founding document. CURRENT VOTE: Better defining the constitutional right to bear arms.

PROPOSED AMENDMENT: “Because a well-regulated National Guard and Reserve, and well-regulated Federal, state, and local public safety departments, are necessary to the security of our free states and our free nation, the rights of citizens, while serving in their capacity in the aforesaid organizations, to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.”

VOTE ABOVE AND HERE.
    Read more at Amend the 2nd Amendment? Who should bear arms?

"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

Who is this dolt? When you work for the "aforesaid organizations" you are not a citizen, you are the government. I hope that is tongue in cheek...haven't gone to the link.
    Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyChryst View Post
    Who is this dolt? When you work for the "aforesaid organizations" you are not a citizen, you are the government. I hope that is tongue in cheek...haven't gone to the link.
    AAAAnd there it is......a Classic example of the "them and us" mindset.
    Do what you've always done, get what you've always got. ----- Have gun. Will travel.

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by TexasChris View Post
    AAAAnd there it is......a Classic example of the "them and us" mindset.
    I don't get what you're saying...

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyChryst View Post
    I don't get what you're saying...
    After a reread, I think I misunderstood what you are saying...could you clarify?
    Do what you've always done, get what you've always got. ----- Have gun. Will travel.

PROPOSED AMENDMENT: “Because a well-regulated National Guard and Reserve, and well-regulated Federal, state, and local public safety departments, are necessary to the security of our free states and our free nation, the rights of citizens, while serving in their capacity in the aforesaid organizations, to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.”
    The "rights of citizens, while serving...the aforesaid organizations" is incongruous. When you work for those organizations, you aren't a citizen anymore; you are the government. The moron that wrote that needs to pull his head out of his ass. Is he really trying to say the government shall not infringe on the government? Again, I haven't gone to the link, so maybe the guy is being facetious. But I have a feeling he is just an idiot.

tk
    I don't think either of you guys get it -- They want to replace the Second Amendment with what is above. In other words, only police, soldiers, guard and reservists would have a RKBA.

The proposal has been rejected on the very site where it was created.
    The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed -- where the government refuses to stand for re-election and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake free people get to make only once." Judge Alex Kozinski, 9th District

Oh I understand what they're proposing. It just astounds me they can claim the people on the list are "citizens" with a straight face.

tk
    gotcha.
    The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed -- where the government refuses to stand for re-election and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake free people get to make only once." Judge Alex Kozinski, 9th District

Sponsors