Caution to NRA Members on Prospective Board Member: Brandon Webb
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Caution to NRA Members on Prospective Board Member: Brandon Webb

Caution to NRA Members on Prospective Board Member: Brandon Webb

Sipsey Street Irregulars: NRA Board candidate Brandon Webb is a "wolf in sheep's clothing."

NRA Board candidate Brandon Webb is a "wolf in sheep's clothing."

This just in from a reader:
    MV,
    Brandon Webb is a former Navy SEAL (who goes to lengths to remind people of it), who's written some books about how he was a great instructor; and recently made an announcement to run for the NRA board in 2015.
    It may just be a publicity stunt - the more one reads about this guy, the more frayed the edges of his stories look; but on the other hand, he's also a writer and publicity hound who might get some attention, and may have some financial backing because he speaks in leftist code, calling civilian firearms ownership a "sport", talking about "compromise" with no specifics, and throwing around things like "common sense" ... and more overtly, saying "idiots shouldn't own guns", and that there should be mandatory training. Helps that he used to be an instructor... and tried to get an huge range complex built east of San Diego.
    It's a long, long post because there are a lot of quotes.
    Links to much more of his "compromise" derp are throughout the post, but I copy/pasted some screenshots from original locations for a sample.
    After he started calling gun rights folks "crazies" on twitter, he asked for PMs to volunteer to debate him, one guy sent a pretty vehement one, and Webb responded thus, publishing the private message, too:
    Classy, no?
    Dunno if you know of the guy, but on the off chance you do, reading the words for what they say, over and over, and over and over - because he's consistent, shows that he's basically pretty much a statist control freak on the gun rights issue, and will readily dismiss anyone who resists his ideas as "crazy" and "fanatics". Regardless of personal opinion, it's pretty clear by what he wrote over and over again, in various ways.
    The phrase that keeps coming to mind with regards to compromise and government, especially with gun grabbers is "just the tip, baby".
    There's a lot to the post, and several other links, including to one where Webb talks about the necessity for compromise after Sandy Hook.
    MAC/Sturmgewer at Military Arms Channel/The Bang Switch has a long post about keeping Webb off the board of directors, and Soldier Systems posted Webb's response to "crazies" and asked what people thought of it. Both are linked in the long Patriot Perspective blog post.
    There's also a very, very informative thread on AR15.com about Webb here.
    There's a lot of discussion and conclusions reached - some mirror mine - that he seems to think he's better than everyone, that he's an elitist who believes in control and organization and regimented structure - because that's how he was introduced to firearms. Because of that, he doesn't view mandatory training or licensing as a gateway to confiscation, but as "common sense compromise"... because he doesn't know firearms outside of a very structured military setting. And he also doesn't understand that the Second Amendment is a bulwark against tyranny, and that it creates the armed society that creates polite society and stability... He views it as "sport".
    And that's probably the nicest way to analyze it.
    It'd be really interesting if Bloomberg or somebody threw money behind him, as he talks in gun-grabber code.
    I'm a veteran Marine, and based on the sources I've read, I'm pretty sure I have more time in combat than Webb, which makes some things seem plainer to me - the SEAL card doesn't awe me into obsequiousness. I've seen his attitude play out in bad-tempered military instructors before - arrogance, throwing out credentials all the time, lots of bluster, and avoiding pointed questions... and a lot of it comes from a haughty stance of them thinking they know best and thinking they should always be in charge, and accompanied by violent rejection of criticism.
    - ShortTimer

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________________________

My favorite response to the story on Sipsey (From Matthew Bracken no less):

Matt Bracken said... Just because a guy was a SEAL it doesn't mean he's a patriot or gives a damn about the Constitution. Plenty of SEALs get out of the military and transition directly to any state, local or federal SWAT team that will have them. What many of these guys love above all is the adrenaline rush that comes with kicking in doors and throwing flashbangs. Their attitude toward the Constitution is, "The department has lawyers to worry about that shit. I'm an operator, and my job is pulling triggers."
    December 15, 2013 at 8:52 AM
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

The NRA better make sure their board and their staff doesn't get infiltrated.

Remember what happened to Guns & Ammo magazine when anti gun rhetoric comes out. The backlash is swift and severe.

I'm going to play the devil's advocate, as I listened to an interview with Webb yesterday. He does run his chops about being a SEAL constantly, yes- however he owns/runs/partly owns (or something) a media company which focuses on the military so I suppose it makes sense in most cases. In listening to a podcast from his SOFREP.com site yesterday about this very issue he highlighted:

- that compromise can simply include speaking to people, not just yelling "everyone is going to take our guns". Whether or not everyone is really out to get you, now and again you have to talk about things, and I agree with him that the NRA seems to wall itself up and yell at the media with soundbites.

- "mandatory training", is not about gun purchases, his point was that the NRA should become a leader in firearms safety training courses, which would allow RANGE staff to be confident that a shooter knows how to not kill themself or someone else by accident, but outside a range training is up to you.

- he is against mental health or gun owner data bases.

- the NRA should try to focus the attention on legislation which looks at the real problems- mental health specifically- not just say "don't take our guns", but say "guns aren't the problem, AND HERE IS HOW TO FIX THE REAL PROBLEM".

- he admitted that he has had a few beers, then responded to things on the internet in a very poor manner.

- he stated that the NRA needs to look at how to get MORE members and appeal to younger people, rather then just look at keeping their current members, they need to grow.

Is his platform the answer? I don't know, but I agree that LaPierre dropped the ball in a big way after every mass shooting since he has been president of the NRA, and that the NRA needs new blood- which is made obvious by the fact that more gun laws are happening, the strategy needs to change or the situation will get worse.

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by acco View Post
    his point was that the NRA should become a leader in firearms safety training courses...
    Who does more firearms safety training than the NRA at this point?
    - Tom Aiello
    [email protected]

...I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

Quote Originally Posted by TomAiello View Post
    Who does more firearms safety training than the NRA at this point?
    No idea, I'm just quoting his comments.

No one does more training....that's the point.

This guy is a lying sack of shit that's now trying to cover his tracks so he can still get on the board. He's got an obvious case of "the only ones" syndrome....apparent from his elitist attitude in those posts. He will sell our firearms rights away at a whim.

I do agree that LaPierre has been ineffective...however, he was just PROVEN right at Arapaho HS when he said the only thing that will stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with one. Personally, I think the NRA sux. I think GOA is a much better model and Larry Pratt is a much more effective debater than LaPierre....we need someone well versed that can go on the attack after these shootings, not him and haw and talk about compromise. Many gun owners are simply through backing up on our gun rights.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

When drunk most people's inhibitions and walls come down, so it probably did in his case and now is trying to CHA (cover his a$$).

"Be Vigilant and Safe!!"
    "Molon Labe!!"
    "It Is A Weak Man Who Urges Compromise!!"

Hadn't read all of those links before, and they paint a messy picture. I'm not impressed with some of his comments, and it does appear that he is changing his position.

...perhaps if the NRA accepts him....people will finally see the NRA for what they've always been....the pied piper of the pro gun movement whose actual purpose has always been to peacefully lead gun owners to their demise...dancing and singing all the way.
    Do what you've always done, get what you've always got. ----- Have gun. Will travel.

Quote Originally Posted by acco View Post
    - that compromise can simply include speaking to people, not just yelling "everyone is going to take our guns". Whether or not everyone is really out to get you, now and again you have to talk about things, and I agree with him that the NRA seems to wall itself up and yell at the media with soundbites.
    “Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.” ― Mark Twain

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” ― George Carlin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsors