From my Daughter's School Newsletter
Like Tree15Likes
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: From my Daughter's School Newsletter

From my Daughter's School Newsletter

This was written by the lead grammar school teacher at my daughter's school, and was the opening piece in this month's school newsletter:

In the Business of Citizen-Making

The Founding Fathers were thoroughly and classically educated, even if not formally so. How did their classical knowledge affect their thinking about the new nation? For one thing, they had a rich appreciation and respect for the lessons of history which was born out in their writings and debates about how to construct an American Republic. Patrick Henry stated, “I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided and that is the lamp of experience. I know of no way of judging of the future but by the past.”

The founders combed the annals of the past for examples of governments that worked well – and for those that did not. They knew well before the philosopher George Santayana was born to say it, that “those who do not know history are condemned to repeat it.”

America’s Founding Fathers, replete with a core classical mindset, understood that this nation would flourish only by preparing its youth in self government and the responsibilities of civic life. Xavier wholeheartedly agrees with Governor Silas Wright’s words as he addressed the 1845 legislature.

“On the careful cultivation in our schools, of the minds of the young, the entire success or the absolute failure of the great experiment of self government is wholly dependent; and unless that cultivation is increased, and made more effective than it has yet been, the conviction is solemnly impressed by the signs of the times, that the American Union, now the asylum of the oppressed and “the home of the free,” will ere long share the melancholy fate of every former attempt of self government. That Union is and must be sustained by the moral and intellectual powers of the community, and every other power is wholly ineffectual. Physical force may generate hatred, fear and repulsion; but can never produce Union. The only salvation for the republic is to be sought for in our schools.” (The Making of Americans, Hirsch)

It is tempting to look back on the education of the Founding Fathers and think that what they did is too difficult for students today. That would be a terrible mistake. Yes, they enjoyed some advantages over us, mostly in terms of having fewer distractions, but that is something we have the power to control. The fact is that we have advantages they didn’t.
    - Tom Aiello
    [email protected]

...I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

Too bad more educators don't feel this way. Congrats on having a seemingly good one, Tom.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

Quote Originally Posted by TomAiello View Post
    This was written by the lead grammar school teacher at my daughter's school, and was the opening piece in this month's school newsletter:
    Great sentiments, but (ironically) there are numerous grammatical errors.

EDITED to remove numerous of grammatical errors of my own. :-)
    Last edited by hoppes-no9; 02-03-2014 at 01:28 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by hoppes-no9 View Post
    Great sentiments, but (ironically) there are numerous of grammatical errors.
    LOL....I wondered how long that would take. And more irony....the grammar police said "numerous of" grammatical errors.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

Quote Originally Posted by Sean K. View Post
    LOL....I wondered how long that would take. And more irony....the grammar police said "numerous of" grammatical errors.
    Dammit! How did that happen? Fuck me.

Anyways, it is heartening to hear someone in the school systems saying this. My kids are in Catholic schools, and (so far) have not been subjected to liberal brainwashing regarding our (lack of) rights and responsibilities as citizens, and the delusional, misinformed ramblings of our founding fathers.
    Last edited by hoppes-no9; 02-03-2014 at 01:29 PM.
    arcwolf6 likes this.

Great sentiments, but (ironically) there are numerous grammatical errors.
    Many of the errors were created by my cut and paste from a color .pdf document. The built in OCR had a lot of trouble, and I spent some time fixing weird conversion errors, but I know I missed some.
    - Tom Aiello
    [email protected]

...I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

Quote Originally Posted by TomAiello View Post
    Many of the errors were created by my cut and paste from a color .pdf document. The built in OCR had a lot of trouble, and I spent some time fixing weird conversion errors, but I know I missed some.
    OK, I give. I'm a turd for pointing it out.

Thank you for posting it.

Red face

.....Dammit!............... Fuck me.

............ My kids are in Catholic schools...............
    HeHeHe.......
    arcwolf6 likes this.
    hope for the best, prepare for the worst, and make hay while the sun shines!

God, I love you guys !! LOL
    TexasChris and arcwolf6 like this.
    When Mad Max comes... I'll be waiting !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Carpenter View Post
    HeHeHe.......

You see why my kids need good influences in their lives....

:-)
    Carpenter likes this.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sponsors