XCR Forum banner

A cops perspective

931 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Mechanic 
#1 ·
PoliceOne is the most eye opening website. The amount of insight you can instantly gain into the mindset of the those who don the uniform is dizzying. You could psychologically evaluate the whole organization just based on the titles of the articles....This article however, was something I've long suspected....that there are clearly defined, not unspoke, but very clearly delineated boundaries that separate "us" from "them" in their minds, in their behavior and in the courts system. The author, a "seasoned" veteran, drops some sage advice on rookies: Citizens are either idiots who don't know the law, or liars. If you really want to know just how bad it is....poke around on this site a few times a week....read their articles, tips and tricks.

3 challenges that blindside rookie cops (and how to survive them)

1. Change
Change can occur in a number of ways, and often when you least expect it. Maybe you’ve been on the night shift for a couple of years and now finally have enough seniority to stay right where you want to be: a graveyard keeper, working zombie squad.

But one night you show up at briefing and find out that you’ve been bumped off your shift. You’ve been transferred to day shift or some other assignment you despise. Maybe you have to work with a new sergeant who you may dislike.
Sometimes bad things like this happen.
I’ve seen cops handled these things the right way and I’ve seen cops handle them the wrong way. My advice to you, rookie, is to take it in stride. Ride out that change you didn’t want.
You will make it through.
Things are always changing in a department, always evolving, and just like that bad change you didn’t expect, a good one will occur down the line if you just stay the course.
2. Rejection and/or Coming Under Investigation
You knew when you started out that you would be a good cop, always do things by the book, and have integrity and honesty. Internal affairs investigations were for those “bad apple” cops, not you.

But then that day comes when you are our mowing your yard on your day off and you get a call from the Captain ordering you to come downtown and meet with internal affairs investigators. A million questions are going through your mind.
Ride out the storm, you may only be a witness, or it may be a routine follow up from a dishonest citizen, or from an honest citizen that simply doesn’t know the law or can’t relate to our often cold, shallow demeanor derived from dealing with, well, citizens.
If you have done nothing wrong and know it, then be patient and this too shall pass.
3. Promotion
You are probably asking yourself why promotion makes this list. Promotion is a good thing, right?

Being promoted is what 99 percent of us want to achieve in our career, and it should be. But with each rung of the ladder you step upon, you may endure some culture shock.
You may come across problems, obstacles, and personnel — and personal! — issues you never even knew could exist before you put the chevrons or butter bars on your uniform.
Those softball buddies distance themselves from you because they don’t trust you anymore.
Guess what? It’s all part of the job.
Don’t lose faith in your fellow officers or your friends — just concentrate on being an example as a supervisor and everything else will fall into place.
Obstacles will occur in every cop’s career, but with a positive attitude, perseverance, and integrity, you will live through them and you will become a mature, seasoned veteran.
Who knows, you may have the opportunity to coach an FNG of your own one day.

See less See more
#2 ·
Chris, I read this and "20 undeniable truths of law enforcement" that you wrote. I don't think it is unreasonable to be upfront about the fact that this isn't a desk job, and it will change your life. I was never a cop, just infantry, and I generally distrust all forms of authority. What I've read on both these pages seems to be "Think ahead, keep your head, and try to keep perspective", which is in my mind about the best thing I could ask to see. You generally post some pretty good stuff but I'm not seeing what you find objectionable, and I certainly didn't see "Citizens are either idiots who don't know the law, or liars." I did see a comment about not trusting a witness, which I interpreted to mean "Listen to the witness, trust the facts" (blind optimism?). Am I missing your point entirely, or could you dumb it down a bit for me?

#4 ·
I have no misconceptions that it's not the prettiest job....but I think sometimes it's made less pretty by those with a vested interest in it appearing as grimy as possible....what disturbs me here is the list of possible explanations for an IA probe.....Naval is spot on,

"or it may be a routine follow up from a dishonest citizen, or from an honest citizen that simply doesn’t know the law or can’t relate to our often cold, shallow demeanor derived from dealing with, well, citizens."

So an IA probe is either a routine followup from a dishonest citizen (a liar) or from an honest citizen that simply doesn't know the law (an idiot) or a citizen that doesn't understand that whatever action, policy or behavior they are complaining about is actually the result of dealing with other citizens.

I'm not anti cop, but I'm very anti our current LEO model....I'm very anti this mindset (that we are discussing). I'm very anti militarization. When I look at the problems we have today with innocent people being killed, the rabid enforcement of drug laws (or really, any laws) I automatically look to mindset and training....what is encouraged? What attitudes are cultivated in the officers? What does the culture create?

Division, disgust and animosity. What kinds of people does this attract? What kinds of people will be drawn to a work environment like this?

Don't get me wrong, there's a lot of good advice in there, but it's universal...it has nothing to do with the costume you wear or which particular box you show up to at work. Office politics? Assholes? Dickhead customers? These are common in all lines of work because they're common to the world....where things get scary, is when one group of people gets guns and gets a carte blanche pass to kill "us" when they feel like it. Then suddenly these jaded attitudes begin to manifest as numbers....under a column headed "should still be alive."

So I ask those questions....and I see reasoning like this and I have my answer. A group of people who have nothing but disdain for those they are to protect, which, I forgot, the gun isn't there to keep us safe, it's to keep them safe.

#3 ·
I think TC was referring to #2
"or it may be a routine follow up from a dishonest citizen, or from an honest citizen that simply doesn’t know the law or can’t relate to our often cold, shallow demeanor derived from dealing with, well, citizens."

It's not real blatant but you can make an easy connection that the author may feel that "citizens" (deragatory?) are below him.

My other favorite line;

"My advice to you, rookie, is to take it in stride. Ride out that change you didn’t want."

Did he have to reference "rookie" again?

PS. Last time I got pulled over was for something that wasn't illegal in the state of FL. Cops know all the rules too.

#7 ·
Was it for driving with your hands at 10 and 2? That could be suspicious and may indicate you are smuggling Cuban cigars to citizens that are not allowed to indulge in the finer things reserved for those above the law.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.