Good FaceBook Post - Page 2
Like Tree11Likes
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Good FaceBook Post

Quote Originally Posted by fmunk View Post
    Cavanaugh is being interviewed for a very important job, yes?

You say that you don't know him... so if you were interviewing him for a job, wouldn't you want to know all there is to know about him? his background? and anything that might offer insight into his character? above and beyond what he says to you to make himself look fit for the job? This isn't very different from what you might go through if you interviewed for a job. Heck, some civilian jobs (private or public) require background checks. Every time you apply for a credit card or loan, the potential lender runs a background check on your credit history... right?

So, that's what this is all about. We are all now finding more about him, whether we like what we see or not. You can't shit on the process just because you don't like what's coming out. If you say you don't know him and want to know? Well, there you have it.

History, whether personal or national, can yield different characterizations when you adjust the span of time you look at. When it's a position that is as important as a seat on the SCOTUS... "he was a very nice guy in the last few years" is simply and laughably not good enough.

Rhetorical... You've probably done things in your youth that you're not proud of, right? While you've matured, does it mean that you're less guilty of those things?
    Allegedly, he's had a plethora of FBI background checks in the past....and none of this was an issue until now. Obviously, this process is now highly politicized (always has been). To think lies and innuendo aren't being played to get a desired result is to not be honest about how corrupt the country has become.

As was said in Unforgiven "We all have it comin'"...doesn't mean you're not qualified for a job.

I do agree that he lost any semblance of impartiality he had with his outburst about how grotesque the process has become and what it's done to his reputation and his family. That said, I think it unlikely in the extreme not to have those feelings if put through that type of scrutiny. The fact that he didn't hold his tongue says he's more independent than the career politician calculating winning the seat over making the statement. Not sure that's a bad thing, frankly.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

Cavanaugh is being interviewed for a very important job, yes?

You say that you don't know him... so if you were interviewing him for a job, wouldn't you want to know all there is to know about him?
    Actually, I'd want to know how he'd do the job.

So I'd spend time reading the decisions he's written (his actual work history as it applies to this position).

Worrying about things he might or might not have done 20 years ago makes zero sense in this context. Especially given that we cannot prove or disprove anything about them. The fact that the process is focused on them points out a huge flaw in the process.

> Rhetorical... You've probably done things in your youth that you're not proud of, right? While you've matured, does it mean that you're less guilty of those things?

I don't think those things have any relevance to my ability to perform a specific job today.
    Last edited by TomAiello; 10-02-2018 at 10:14 AM.
    Sean K. likes this.
    - Tom Aiello
    [email protected]

...I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

You can't shit on the process just because you don't like what's coming out.
    I'm not.

I'm shitting on the process because it is a shitty process.

If the goal is to determine his fitness as a Supreme Court justice, why are we talking about teenage partying? Why the heck aren't we reading actual judicial decisions he's authored--which is exactly what he would be doing at the Supreme Court?

Given that we have an entire written work history for this "job applicant" to analyze and discuss, why are we not analyzing and discussing it? Why are we allowing ourselves to be distracted by some impossible to prove, decades old allegations?

I want to know how he feels about the 4th Amendment, where he stands on Eminent Domain, what his views are on Federal Supremacy, what he thinks the proper breadth of the Commerce Clause is...the list goes on.

I really don't care about what someone is accusing him of doing as a teenager, given that it is basically impossible to prove or disprove those allegations.

The political circus is about distracting the people from the actual, important, underlying issues. And it's succeeding massively in this case.

Instead of asking him "did you do this thing when you were a teenager" I'd be asking "what's your view on the Court's reasoning in Korematsu?"

The system is failing to ask the really important questions, and in so doing it's failing the people of the United States.
    Merlin and Sean K. like this.
    - Tom Aiello
    [email protected]

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

This is the kind of discussion that we ought to be focused on: https://fee.org/articles/the-constit...supreme-court/

Sordid reality TV style "he said, she said" may get ratings, but is it really the right way to select a Supreme Court justice?
    - Tom Aiello
    [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by TomAiello View Post
    I'm not.

I'm shitting on the process because it is a shitty process.

If the goal is to determine his fitness as a Supreme Court justice, why are we talking about teenage partying? Why the heck aren't we reading actual judicial decisions he's authored--which is exactly what he would be doing at the Supreme Court?

Given that we have an entire written work history for this "job applicant" to analyze and discuss, why are we not analyzing and discussing it? Why are we allowing ourselves to be distracted by some impossible to prove, decades old allegations?

I want to know how he feels about the 4th Amendment, where he stands on Eminent Domain, what his views are on Federal Supremacy, what he thinks the proper breadth of the Commerce Clause is...the list goes on.

I really don't care about what someone is accusing him of doing as a teenager, given that it is basically impossible to prove or disprove those allegations.

The political circus is about distracting the people from the actual, important, underlying issues. And it's succeeding massively in this case.

Instead of asking him "did you do this thing when you were a teenager" I'd be asking "what's your view on the Court's reasoning in Korematsu?"

The system is failing to ask the really important questions, and in so doing it's failing the people of the United States.
    Exactly. Couldn't have said it better....may actually steal it if you don't mind (obviously I'll credit you).
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

I don't mind at all. Steal away.
    Sean K. likes this.
    - Tom Aiello
    [email protected]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsors