Jefferson Quote I'd Not Read Before......
Like Tree9Likes
  • 4 Post By Sean K.
  • 1 Post By TexasChris
  • 1 Post By TomAiello
  • 2 Post By TexasChris
  • 1 Post By Sean K.

Thread: Jefferson Quote I'd Not Read Before......

Jefferson Quote I'd Not Read Before......

Probably very old news to some. Verified at monticello.org....though they seem to "hide" it as it only came up via a "spurious quotes" section wherein it is briefly legitimized/mentioned while denying another "internet" Jefferson quote.

Here it is from a prospectus Jefferson wrote [COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.75)]for his translation of Destutt de Tracy's Treatise on Political Economy in a letter to Joseph Milligan in April, 1816:[/COLOR]

"To take from one, because it is thought his own industry and that of his fathers has acquired too much, in order to spare to others, who, or whose fathers, have not exercised equal industry and skill, is to violate arbitrarily the first principle of association, the guarantee to everyone the free exercise of his industry and the fruits acquired by it."

And a good one from Lincoln:
    “If we except the light and the air of heaven, no good thing has been or can be enjoyed by us without having first cost labor. And inasmuch as most good things are produced by labor, it follows that all such things of right belong to those whose labor has produced them. But it has so happened, in all the ages of the world, that some have labored, and others have without labor enjoyed a large proportion of the fruits. This is wrong, and should not continue. To secure to each laborer the whole product of his labor, or as nearly as possible, is a worthy object of any good government.”
    Last edited by Sean K.; 04-20-2019 at 01:07 PM.
    bgreed, TexasChris, Merlin and 1 others like this.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

Their web site is super disorganized. I think that they just have more material than they can possibly organize--Jefferson was very prolific. So I think it's probably neglect, rather than malice, which hides some of the material there.
    - Tom Aiello
    [email protected]

...I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

Quote Originally Posted by TomAiello View Post
    Their web site is super disorganized. I think that they just have more material than they can possibly organize--Jefferson was very prolific. So I think it's probably neglect, rather than malice, which hides some of the material there.
    ....something else that has been on my mind a lot. Collusion is always an easy explanation, I am understanding more and more that this can be not only a comforting avenue of thought but also, the path of least resistance.

Not that collusion and conspiracy do not exist, but a coincidental, or mutually beneficial spontaneous alignment of motivation can often read as much more happening than what actually is........

...if you're the type looking for answers though, this is a terrifyingly necessary perspective.

The only conclusion is that all challenges must be approached from the ground up, tabula rasa.....and that carry over from previous experiences or thoughts must be done with absolute care, as they carry with them the potential to weigh the outcome, by an exponentially increasing multiplier, toward chaos.

....as a creature of habit.....this is probably the hardest thing I'm currently trying to do.

Acknowledge that today is not yesterday.....in all ways.
    Last edited by TexasChris; 03-02-2019 at 06:04 PM.
    Sean K. likes this.
    Do what you've always done, get what you've always got. ----- Have gun. Will travel.

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

Another possible conclusion (which is much less comforting) is that you must treat society _as if_ it were a unified system actively conspiring against you at all times.
    - Tom Aiello
    [email protected]

I've emailed them in the past about another quote that they flubbed. As you said, might not be malice, but the person I corresponded with seemed a little miffed that I'd questioned it in the first place. One thing they did note that would support the former theory is that their search engine is pretty damn specific. Left out a comma in one portion and that's why it couldn't find the quote....supposedly.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

We should start a thread with good quotes.
    TexasChris likes this.
    - Tom Aiello
    [email protected]

We should start a thread with good quotes.
    I agree!
    "Spes Mea in Deo Est"--My hope is in GOD
    The antidote for fifty enemies is one friend.--Aristotle

Another possible conclusion (which is much less comforting) is that you must treat society _as if_ it were a unified system actively conspiring against you at all times.
    Tom, I've pondered on this for a few days now, and all I can say is this....though I'm trying like hell to close the gap, you're always somewhere between 3, and 30 steps ahead of me...and it's a thing I'm grateful for. I'll continue to think on this and with any luck, one day I'll be able to stand on the shoulders of ideas like this.

If I really get down to it, I'm as grateful for the people I've disagreed with (though I certainly could have done it with more grace) as much as I am the people with whom I share similar thoughts. Disagreements have allowed me to inventory, catalog and vet my own philosophies.....ultimately leading to a greater understanding of self.

I flourish as the dumbest guy in the room.....and get bored very rapidly when I am not.....which is probably why I keep coming back. I've learned so much about so much, and for this guy, learning is a hiccup away from communion with the divine. I don't ever want to quit learning.

I've said it before but it's a fact bears repeating.....being exposed to the minds and ideas that that have collected in this space has been a huge net positive in my life.
    Sean K. and Merlin like this.
    Do what you've always done, get what you've always got. ----- Have gun. Will travel.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasChris View Post
    Tom, I've pondered on this for a few days now, and all I can say is this....though I'm trying like hell to close the gap, you're always somewhere between 3, and 30 steps ahead of me...and it's a thing I'm grateful for. I'll continue to think on this and with any luck, one day I'll be able to stand on the shoulders of ideas like this.

If I really get down to it, I'm as grateful for the people I've disagreed with (though I certainly could have done it with more grace) as much as I am the people with whom I share similar thoughts. Disagreements have allowed me to inventory, catalog and vet my own philosophies.....ultimately leading to a greater understanding of self.

I flourish as the dumbest guy in the room.....and get bored very rapidly when I am not.....which is probably why I keep coming back. I've learned so much about so much, and for this guy, learning is a hiccup away from communion with the divine. I don't ever want to quit learning.

I've said it before but it's a fact bears repeating.....being exposed to the minds and ideas that that have collected in this space has been a huge net positive in my life.
    Feel the same way......shame to see our membership dwindle like it has.
    Merlin likes this.

Sponsors