Canada bans all assault weapons? - Page 2
Like Tree8Likes
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 22

Thread: Canada bans all assault weapons?

  1. #11
    XCR Guru Sean K.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    21,862
    Quote Originally Posted by fmunk View Post
    Put your orders in for those spare parts, folks!
    Or your full up rifle/pistol....
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

  2. #12
    XCR Guru TomAiello's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Twin Falls, Idaho
    Posts
    5,828
    What's RA's business model? Losing half their market definitely doesn't sound good. I wonder if they will be able to compensate?
    - Tom Aiello
    [email protected]

    ...I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

  3. #13
    XCR Guru fmunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Kahleefonia
    Posts
    3,253
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAiello View Post
    What's RA's business model? Losing half their market definitely doesn't sound good. I wonder if they will be able to compensate?

    Without knowing what goes on inside, I'd say first order of business is thorough cost analysis to identify what design changes can be done and what manufacturing changes are needed to lower cost, lower retail price and increase volume. It's a crowded marketplace already, with more stuff coming once the world recovers (like the Bren 2). Pretty hard to be competitive where they've priced their guns. Plus, market preference now is light weight. XCR is many things but "light" it is definitely not. Being one of the very few platforms that actually has caliber exchange capability, continuing to play on that strength wouldn't hurt: like revising the barrel retention design to have tool-less barrel change capability.
    Last edited by fmunk; 05-02-2020 at 12:31 PM.
    Fool-proofing serves only one purpose: identify bigger fools.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #14
    XCR Guru Sean K.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    21,862
    Quote Originally Posted by fmunk View Post
    Without knowing what goes on inside, I'd say first order of business is thorough cost analysis to identify what design changes can be done and what manufacturing changes are needed to lower cost, lower retail price and increase volume. It's a crowded marketplace already, with more stuff coming once the world recovers (like the Bren 2). Pretty hard to be competitive where they've priced their guns. Plus, market preference now is light weight. XCR is many things but "light" it is definitely not. Being one of the very few platforms that actually has caliber exchange capability, continuing to play on that strength wouldn't hurt: like revising the barrel retention design to have tool-less barrel change capability.
    Catch 22....tool-less will weigh and cost more.
    fmunk likes this.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

  6. #15
    XCR Guru fmunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Kahleefonia
    Posts
    3,253
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean K. View Post
    Catch 22....tool-less will weigh and cost more.
    If they can cut cost and and weight elsewhere. What I was getting at is people are generally lazy and end up not changing calibers or just own multiple rifles. Tool-less would be a value-added trait at current price levels.
    Fool-proofing serves only one purpose: identify bigger fools.

  7. #16
    XCR Guru Sean K.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    21,862
    I wonder how an XCR designed to take rock in AK mags would fair. Probably no better than x39 Galil or M+M Industries M10X....but it sure should.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

  8. #17
    XCR Guru Sean K.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    21,862
    Quote Originally Posted by fmunk View Post
    If they can cut cost and and weight elsewhere. What I was getting at is people are generally lazy and end up not changing calibers or just own multiple rifles. Tool-less would be a value-added trait at current price levels.
    The weight is really in the operating system...and I don't see how you drop the weight there significantly without seriously compromising the overall strength.
    RobertSlaughter likes this.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

  9. #18
    XCR Guru TomAiello's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Twin Falls, Idaho
    Posts
    5,828
    I think an AK mag XCR would probably be a market failure, unless it could compete very well price wise with the x39 Galil. If you're not already part of the XCR platform, there's no real reason to go with the XCR instead of the Galil, especially if you are worried about ongoing support if RA has financial issues.

    I wasn't aware of the M10x...is it popular at all? Looks pretty cool if you're an AK guy and want a "modern" version of an AK. MSRP beats the XCR, but I still think the average buyer is likely to go with the Galil (or just an AR variant at half the price).

    RA is a high end niche manufacturer. In that space I'd bet that "add value" will sell better than "cut cost". Really price conscious shoppers are already just going with off the shelf AR builds in the $600-$800 range.
    Sean K. likes this.
    - Tom Aiello
    [email protected]

    ...I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

  10. #19
    XCR Guru fmunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Kahleefonia
    Posts
    3,253
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAiello View Post
    I wasn't aware of the M10x...is it popular at all? Looks pretty cool if you're an AK guy and want a "modern" version of an AK. MSRP beats the XCR, but I still think the average buyer is likely to go with the Galil (or just an AR variant at half the price).
    It got a lot of press when originally announce. Then, suffered long delays. Price went up along with delays. They still make and sell them, but effectively DOA.

    Quote Originally Posted by TomAiello View Post
    RA is a high end niche manufacturer. In that space I'd bet that "add value" will sell better than "cut cost". Really price conscious shoppers are already just going with off the shelf AR builds in the $600-$800 range.
    And being a small operation with now reduced market, I don't see how they can be profitable without cutting cost that doesn't hurt them even more (like production capacity and customer service).
    Last edited by fmunk; 05-02-2020 at 03:43 PM.
    Fool-proofing serves only one purpose: identify bigger fools.

  11. #20
    XCR Guru Sean K.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    21,862
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAiello View Post
    I think an AK mag XCR would probably be a market failure, unless it could compete very well price wise with the x39 Galil. If you're not already part of the XCR platform, there's no real reason to go with the XCR instead of the Galil, especially if you are worried about ongoing support if RA has financial issues.

    I wasn't aware of the M10x...is it popular at all? Looks pretty cool if you're an AK guy and want a "modern" version of an AK. MSRP beats the XCR, but I still think the average buyer is likely to go with the Galil (or just an AR variant at half the price).

    RA is a high end niche manufacturer. In that space I'd bet that "add value" will sell better than "cut cost". Really price conscious shoppers are already just going with off the shelf AR builds in the $600-$800 range.
    XCRs (if you shop around) are already in the Galil ACE price point....but I see what you're saying.

    My friend has an M10X. Biggest thing is the company is not really supporting it by offering any of the things they said they would....like shorter bbls or pistol configs. It's a nice rifle....and if you mod an ALG AK trigger for it, that makes it even better. It's pretty heavy though. I'd wager heavier than an XCR by a good margin. And...you can pick them up for around $1200.

    Yep...RA is niche and high end. Doesn't bode well in this market; especially if Canadian guns start flooding in at low prices.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsors

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •