The Government is Growing Quite Bold.... - Page 3
Like Tree20Likes
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Government is Growing Quite Bold....

And an even better article with three suggested steps to move toward a better system of policing:

https://mises.org/wire/three-ways-la...n=fee_partners
    Sean K. likes this.
    - Tom Aiello
    [email protected]

...I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I'd agree with all those.....qualified immunity is a biggie. If we are all allegedly equal under law, a peace officer should be held to nearly the same standard as I would be as a civilian to use deadly force or to be held liable for my mistakes.

I think another thing that would be helpful is body cams and felony charges for any tampering with that video.

There's a lot of layers to this onion. We need to look at recidivism and rehab, right restoration, policing for profit, civil forfeiture, RICO statutes, etc....so much of this has been intertwined over 5+ decades and it's going to take a lot to unwind the damage done.
    RobertSlaughter and bgreed like this.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

Quote Originally Posted by Sean K. View Post
    I'd agree with all those.....qualified immunity is a biggie. If we are all allegedly equal under law, a peace officer should be held to nearly the same standard as I would be as a civilian to use deadly force or to be held liable for my mistakes.
    I actually think that professionals should be held to a _higher_ standard than amateurs.

For example, a commercial drivers license generally has a much lower blood alcohol limit imposed than a normal "civilian" license.

In law enforcement, the professionals get tax payer funded training, special allowances with regard to what type and function of weapons they can carry, and many other special privileges. With these privileges ought to come a _higher_ degree of accountability and _higher_ expectations for performance.

Do we expect professional football players to meet lower standards than weekend flag football teams? Why do we expect law enforcement professionals, who demonstrably carry the power of life and death over private citizens, to meet _lower_ standards than those citizens? It really doesn't make any sense.

> There's a lot of layers to this onion. We need to look at recidivism and rehab, right restoration, policing for profit, civil forfeiture, RICO statutes, etc....so much of this has been intertwined over 5+ decades and it's going to take a lot to unwind the damage done.

Definitely. The incentives baked into our system are all wrong. Changing those underlying incentives has to be one of the first steps to meaningful change.
    Sean K. likes this.
    - Tom Aiello
    [email protected]

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by TomAiello View Post
    I actually think that professionals should be held to a _higher_ standard than amateurs.

For example, a commercial drivers license generally has a much lower blood alcohol limit imposed than a normal "civilian" license.

In law enforcement, the professionals get tax payer funded training, special allowances with regard to what type and function of weapons they can carry, and many other special privileges. With these privileges ought to come a _higher_ degree of accountability and _higher_ expectations for performance.

Do we expect professional football players to meet lower standards than weekend flag football teams? Why do we expect law enforcement professionals, who demonstrably carry the power of life and death over private citizens, to meet _lower_ standards than those citizens? It really doesn't make any sense.

> There's a lot of layers to this onion. We need to look at recidivism and rehab, right restoration, policing for profit, civil forfeiture, RICO statutes, etc....so much of this has been intertwined over 5+ decades and it's going to take a lot to unwind the damage done.

Definitely. The incentives baked into our system are all wrong. Changing those underlying incentives has to be one of the first steps to meaningful change.
    I often say the same thing....someone that has the power of the state backing them up to and including on pain of death should be held to a higher standard....which is why I don't see body cams as infringement of their right to privacy when acting in the capacity of LEO (as just one example).

100% right about the incentives. Justice and the truth aren't the main thrust for prosecutors....it's their win/loss record that determines if they will be given a judgeship (well, and the political games they play) or how they will be perceived if they run for office in another capacity.
    TexasChris and bgreed like this.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

To go off topic, thanks for the info on Prescott, Sean. My daughter and I took paddle boards out to Watson Lake yesterday afternoon and had a great time. People here are friendly, the town is functioning normally, despite riots and plagues elsewhere, and we're having a great time.
    Sean K. and TexasChris like this.
    - Tom Aiello
    [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by TomAiello View Post
    To go off topic, thanks for the info on Prescott, Sean. My daughter and I took paddle boards out to Watson Lake yesterday afternoon and had a great time. People here are friendly, the town is functioning normally, despite riots and plagues elsewhere, and we're having a great time.
    Glad to hear it. Like I said, probably my favorite town in AZ....of course, compared to ID, it's pretty freakin' ugly, lol. I envy your location, my friend.

My part of Idaho isn't that pretty. Except down in the Snake River Canyon, where I spend a good bit of time.
    Sean K. likes this.
    - Tom Aiello
    [email protected]

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsors