Supreme Court Vacancy
Like Tree6Likes
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Supreme Court Vacancy

Supreme Court Vacancy

Is anyone following this circus?

I'm really interested to see who Trump nominates. I've started reading some of the decisions written by the 'short list' contenders. I'd really like to see another originalist on the court.

If I was religious, I'd be praying for Justice Thomas' health every single day. It's my fondest wish that he's eating a lot of vegetables and doing a reasonable amount of cardio. People talk about Scalia a lot, but in my reading, it's Thomas who has been the best contributor to the court's jurisprudence in my lifetime.
    - Tom Aiello
    [email protected]

...I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

Quote Originally Posted by TomAiello View Post
    Is anyone following this circus?

I'm really interested to see who Trump nominates. I've started reading some of the decisions written by the 'short list' contenders. I'd really like to see another originalist on the court.

If I was religious, I'd be praying for Justice Thomas' health every single day. It's my fondest wish that he's eating a lot of vegetables and doing a reasonable amount of cardio. People talk about Scalia a lot, but in my reading, it's Thomas who has been the best contributor to the court's jurisprudence in my lifetime.

I'd guess it would be Barrett. But we'll see.

Agreed on Thomas. Amazing to think the Anita Hill charges almost cost him the seat.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

Thomas is a God send. A judicial genius.
    Sean K. likes this.
    "Spes Mea in Deo Est"--My hope is in GOD
    The antidote for fifty enemies is one friend.--Aristotle

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

It's interesting to see the amount of Catholic bashing going on in the media (and the US Senate) right now. I thought that had ended in the 60s, with Kennedy. I'm trying to imagine the outrage if she was Jewish or Muslim.

I honestly think that some of the written questions asked of Barret by the Senate judiciary committee during her 7th circuit confirmation hearings violate Article 6.

You can find the questions on the Senate Judiciary website and they are fascinating (and honestly quite disturbing) to read. (example: https://www.judiciary.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/Barrett%20Responses%20to%20Feinstein%20QFRs.pdf)

Senator Harris' questions in some other confirmation hearings (with Catholic nominees) are particularly relevant given her current high profile as the democratic vice presidential nominee. (article: https://www.nationalreview.com/corne...holic-bigotry/)
    Last edited by TomAiello; 09-22-2020 at 10:49 AM.
    Sean K. likes this.
    - Tom Aiello
    [email protected]

It's interesting to see the amount of Catholic bashing going on in the media (and the US Senate) right now. I thought that had ended in the 60s, with Kennedy. I'm trying to imagine the outrage if she was Jewish or Muslim.
    It is interesting since Biden & Pelosi claim to be staunch practicing Catholics! Muslim outrage? The Squad and their Minnesota faction would not allow it. It would be hard to go after a Jew as well since the Dems nominated RBG who was Jewish. I think it would have been funnier than shit if Trump had a qualified black women to nominate. Hypocrisy would know no bounds!!
    When the difference between life and death is a matter of seconds, the police are only minutes away!
    (not knocking police, just gun grabbers)

I'm really curious to see how Mike Lee's positive coronavirus test effects this. If he's going to quarantine for 10 days, there is no way Mitch McConnell will call a vote during that time. I'm curious to see if the Judiciary committee starts interrogating (which I think is the correct, if not commonly used term) the nominee without him, or if he gets teleconferenced in somehow.
    Sean K. likes this.
    - Tom Aiello
    [email protected]

I'm working so I've watched very little of the hearings, but from what I've seen Judge Barrett is really doing well. Her composure is making some of the senators (like Senator Klobuchar, for example) look almost unhinged in their attempted attacks.
    Sean K. likes this.
    - Tom Aiello
    [email protected]

I'm working so I've watched very little of the hearings, but from what I've seen Judge Barrett is really doing well. Her composure is making some of the senators (like Senator Klobuchar, for example) look almost unhinged in their attempted attacks.
    Some of the questioning is absolutely ridiculous! She seems to have remained calm and composed throughout though. I liked the “note pad” part if you saw that...it’s likely around on the U toobers somewhere...here tis...

This is a good one, especially the first 3 minutes...

Last edited by willpgn; 10-14-2020 at 04:47 PM.

It's not really questioning. It's grandstanding.

Every Senator has indicated how they will vote _before_ listening to the nominee speak.

Given the fact that everyone has already made up their minds, there's no real reason to hold the hearings aside from political theater. It's laughable that the democrats (who've all already decided how they will vote) are complaining that the process is 'rushed'. If you've already decided, why do you need a hearing or any discussion? Just vote and be done with it.
    Sean K. likes this.
    - Tom Aiello
    [email protected]

That second video is interesting. I find Senator Cruz quite impressive (I registered Republican in 2016 so I could vote for him rather than (now-)President Trump) and he comes off well, and makes a good point, there.

Senator Durbin reallly seems like the grown up in a party of adult sized children to me. I'm not a fan of his party generally (or of his political goals specifically), but they should have more like him.
    - Tom Aiello
    [email protected]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsors