GOA: 80% Lowers & Frames Now "Firearms"
Like Tree8Likes
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GOA: 80% Lowers & Frames Now "Firearms"

GOA: 80% Lowers & Frames Now "Firearms"

Rogue ATF Agents are Cracking Down on Legal Guns in Anticipation of Biden Administration

"Honest citizens should enjoy the right to assemble their own firearms for lawful purposes, and they should be able to do so without being terrorized by their government." -- GOA's Erich Pratt, AmmoLand, December 11, 2020

On Thursday, federal agents raided the headquarters of Polymer80, one of the largest manufacturers of homemade firearm accessories.

For years, Polymer80 has been producing “80% complete” lower receivers which the ATF determined to be incomplete and non-regulatable by the ATF as firearms. These receivers require holes to be drilled and surfaces filed before they become an actual, usable receiver, hence the term 80% receiver.

You might have heard an anti-gunner refer to a completed homemade firearm as a “ghost gun” before.

According to the ATF in numerous letters to Polymer80, their 80% receivers did not require a manufacturers license, the unconstitutional Pittman-Robertson tax, a serial number, or a NICS check before purchase.

Anti-gunners have been advocating for a ban on homemade firearms for years, even recently appealing to the Trump Administration.

Once again, the ATF appears to be reversing its longstanding interpretive guidance and is arbitrarily redefining a crucial term to enact a gun ban.

ATF is Expanding its Crackdown

AmmoLand News broke news yesterday that ATF is raiding more companies than just Polymer80:

The ATF did raid or show up at other companies that sell other kits that include 80% part kits, barrels, and slides that are not Polymer80. AmmoLand News sources inside the ATF say that the agency is now considering 80% kits with all the parts needed to finish a pistol as a firearm. None of the companies had any warning on the change to ATF’s regulations before actual agents showed up making attempts to retrieve customer information.

Apparently, the ATF now considers an 80% lower receiver sold with a parts kit -- such as the one offered by Polymer80 as a Buy Build Shoot Kit -- to be a firearm requiring a background check. .

But the statute defining a firearm hasn’t changed.

What did change?

ATF is arbitrarily redefining firearm using interpretive guidance. Acting Director of the ATF Regina Lombardo must feel emboldened by the apparent victory of presidential candidate Joe Biden.

In November, she even began working with the “Biden Transition Team.”

Her reported priorities? Pistol braces and 80% receivers.

But this is more than cooperating with a transition team. Lombardo has begun advancing the Biden-Harris gun control agenda during the Trump Administration!

Take action and tell President Trump to fire Acting Director of the ATF Regina Lombardo and her anti-gun subordinates responsible for this anti-Second Amendment attack on homemade firearms.

These anti-gunners have got to go!

In liberty,

Aidan Johnston
    Director of Federal Affairs
    Gun Owners of America
    RobertSlaughter likes this.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

More to the story (can't edit the somewhat misleading thread title):

https://www.ammoland.com/2020/12/atf...#axzz6gRyl2n3A

Apparently, it's Polymer 80's "buy, build, shoot" kits that are the problem, b/c while they are still 80% at time of sale, everything needed to assemble a working firearm (after machining is complete) is included.

https://www.ammoland.com/2020/12/mot...#axzz6gRyl2n3A
    Last edited by Sean K.; 12-12-2020 at 04:15 PM.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

Check out hank strange's new videos on it pretty interesting I'll link the video in a minute.

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

Has any of the ATF agents or ATF itself attribute activity to the incoming administration? I've yet to see any admissions or public statements. Yet the "reporting" keeps linking the two. Let's not forget which presidency the bumpfire stock ban occurred under.
    Sean K. likes this.
    Fool-proofing serves only one purpose: identify bigger fools.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean K. View Post
    Apparently, it's Polymer 80's "buy, build, shoot" kits that are the problem, b/c while they are still 80% at time of sale, everything needed to assemble a working firearm (after machining is complete) is included.
    If that's the case, I don't think the title is misleading.

A legal item ought to be legal on it's own merits, by itself. it should not matter what other legal items are also owned by the person owning it.

Imagine how ridiculous it would be if tires were legal--unless you also owned hubcaps.

This is the kind of pseudo-logical rabbit hole that happens in firearms regulations all the time.

Legality of ownership of any single thing should rest on that single thing--not on what else you might own or do.
    - Tom Aiello
    [email protected]

...I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

Quote Originally Posted by fmunk View Post
    Has any of the ATF agents or ATF itself attribute activity to the incoming administration? I've yet to see any admissions or public statements. Yet the "reporting" keeps linking the two. Let's not forget which presidency the bumpfire stock ban occurred under.
    The ATF is a power unto itself that doesn't want to be accountable to anyone, ever. I think it's more likely that the ATF is taking advantage of confusion (i.e. their supervising authority is too busy playing political games to pay attention) to advance it's own agenda.

I don't think the ATF is likely to be any more or less accountable to a Biden administration than it would be to a Trump, Obama, or Bush administration. It is the nature of these self-sustaining bureaucracies to evade oversight from elected officials (or anyone else). That's not just the ATF (not by a long shot) either. All government agencies behave this way to a greater or lesser extent.
    - Tom Aiello
    [email protected]

...I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

Quote Originally Posted by TomAiello View Post
    If that's the case, I don't think the title is misleading.

A legal item ought to be legal on it's own merits, by itself. it should not matter what other legal items are also owned by the person owning it.

Imagine how ridiculous it would be if tires were legal--unless you also owned hubcaps.

This is the kind of pseudo-logical rabbit hole that happens in firearms regulations all the time.

Legality of ownership of any single thing should rest on that single thing--not on what else you might own or do.
    Which is why I said "somewhat". I hadn't read the full story from the source...just the GOA email when I originally posted the thread. My fault for not being more thorough.

Quote Originally Posted by TomAiello View Post
    The ATF is a power unto itself that doesn't want to be accountable to anyone, ever. I think it's more likely that the ATF is taking advantage of confusion (i.e. their supervising authority is too busy playing political games to pay attention) to advance it's own agenda.

I don't think the ATF is likely to be any more or less accountable to a Biden administration than it would be to a Trump, Obama, or Bush administration. It is the nature of these self-sustaining bureaucracies to evade oversight from elected officials (or anyone else). That's not just the ATF (not by a long shot) either. All government agencies behave this way to a greater or lesser extent.
    It certainly hasn't been accountable to Trump's....judging by the brace/Honey Badger fiasco. Let's not forget (not that anyone here has) that Trump supported not just banning bump stocks, but suspension of habeas corpus when he said (paraphrasing) "seize the guns first, due process second". He's no ardent supporter of the 2A or the USC. Hell, I'm not sure he's even read the thing.
    fmunk likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean K. View Post
    It certainly hasn't been accountable to Trump's....judging by the brace/Honey Badger fiasco. Let's not forget (not that anyone here has) that Trump supported not just banning bump stocks, but suspension of habeas corpus when he said (paraphrasing) "seize the guns first, due process second". He's no ardent supporter of the 2A or the USC. Hell, I'm not sure he's even read the thing.
    Boggles my mind that people still blindly support him. He's clearly not informed and no steadfast supporter of pro-2A causes. Instead, at any given time, he only cares about how many people he can fool into supporting him and sending him donation dollars. There is nothing in his calculus other than his self. He is a con-man. He is a grifter. Has been all his life. Name any other sitting president who actually has lost a business fraud case during his term. I'm talking about cases on Trump University and Trump Foundation. The man took charitable donations... to BUY A PAINTING OF HIMSELF. This is like Louis XIV level of shenanigans.

Caveat, I'm an independent.
    Last edited by fmunk; 12-13-2020 at 02:33 PM.
    Fool-proofing serves only one purpose: identify bigger fools.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsors