Police Perpetrated Massacre After Katrina

Thread: Police Perpetrated Massacre After Katrina

Police Perpetrated Massacre After Katrina

Not sure if this has been up here before, but it's pretty amazing. I can't believe this isn't all over the news throughout the world.

"Hunter, 33, said a New Orleans police sergeant fired an assault rifle at wounded civilians at close range after other officers stopped shooting and after it was clear that the police were not taking fire. He also says he saw another officer in a car fire a shotgun at a fleeing man's back, although the man did nothing suggesting he was a threat to police. That man, 40-year-old Ronald Madison, who was severely mentally disabled, died of his wounds."

The actual artilce is much longer and more detailed:
    http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/..._brutalit.html

The worst part is that if those people had been armed and were able to defend themselves, it would have turned into "police defend themselves" in the media whether they were guilty or not.

Re: Police Perpetrated Massacre After Katrina

Check this thread. https://xcrforum.com/index.php/topic,6573.0.html

All the info I've seen on this was about the cover-up. No one has come out and said the situation was totally out of control, these officers should be fired. Instead, it seems the only reason they are in trouble is for getting caught lying about it and planting evidence.

So it was on this board. This article is different than others, in that now they are clearly prosecuting the officers for the massacre itself, not just the coverup. It appears that now that they have broken their silence, some justice can be done, hopefully.

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by acco View Post
    So it was on this board. This article is different than others, in that now they are clearly prosecuting the officers for the massacre itself, not just the coverup. It appears that now that they have broken their silence, some justice can be done, hopefully.
    Ya, I read about the case again yesterday. This is progressing through the court system now....

It appears most of the officers involved will be fighting it.

Sean
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

tk

Quote Originally Posted by Sean K. View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by acco View Post
    Ya, I read about the case again yesterday. This is progressing through the court system now....

It appears most of the officers involved will be fighting it.

Sean
    I was reading the new account from the guy who pled guilty, and it just made me sick. Some of it is poor communication, some of it poor training, and some just sounds like they were just out of control. And then just decided to lie about it all and fabricate evidence to try to -- literally -- get away with murder. That police force has been plagued by corruption since it was founded, 200 years ago.

Any wonder they thought there was nothing wrong with confiscating everyone's guns? I betcha these guys can't even spell "CONSTITUTION."

tk

The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed -- where the government refuses to stand for re-election and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake free people get to make only once." Judge Alex Kozinski, 9th District

This is a pretty old thread but I thought a follow-up was in order. Looks like some of NOP are being indicted for some shootings and the attempted coverup.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/07/13...est=latestnews
    Semper Fidelis

As someone from the area who went through Katrina and the aftermath, I can tell you that this is but one of many, many interesting incidents. I don't have any inside or personal info on the incident on the bridge as featured in this thread and I am not saying it didn't happen as reported. But this was certainly not the only shooting done by local or federal agencies. The point of my post here is to underline what can happen so very quickly when there is a breakdown in the social fabric in the wake of a major incident. The loss of life was not entirely due to the storm. Looters were shot, gangs ran wild, gun battles resulted, shit happens. I LEO friend relayed to me a point where law enforcement were calling for ammo and AR mags because they were running short in the New Orleans metro area. That's a lot of shooting.
    "Don't be buffaloed by experts and elites. 'Experts' possess more data
    than judgment. Elites become so inbred that they produce hemophiliacs who
    bleed to death the moment they are nicked in the real world."

"It's not being fast, nor even accurate, that counts the most. It's being willing.
    Most men, regardless of cause or need, are not willing. They'll blink an
    eye or draw a breath before they pull the trigger. I won't!"
    John Books (played by John Wayne) , The Shootist

More cops charged in post-Katrina bridge shootings

Four New Orleans police officers face possible death sentences as part of a federal indictment that accuses them in separate shootings that killed two and wounded four others in the chaotic days after Hurricane Katrina in 2005.
    Tuesday's indictment, the culmination of a lengthy inquiry into an incident that helped define the dysfunction of post-Katrina New Orleans, also named two police officials who are charged with lesser counts of obstructing the inquiry.

"In the days following Katrina, the people of New Orleans were relying upon law enforcement to protect public safety," Assistant U.S. Attorney General Thomas Perez said. "The officers indicted today are accused of abusing their power ."

CORRUPTION CASES: New Orleans cops up against wall
    MORE: Ex-cop pleads guilty to Katrina coverup

The most serious charges center on the alleged actions of Sgt. Kenneth Bowen, Sgt. Robert Gisevius, Officer Robert Faulcon and Officer Anthony Villavaso.

The four are charged first with shooting into a group of six unarmed people who were walking across the city's Danziger Bridge on Sept. 4, 2005, in search of food and other scarce supplies, killing James Brissette, 17, and wounding four others.

A short time later, according to court papers, the officers fired on two unarmed brothers while they were on their way to check on a relative's property. Ronald Madison, a severely disabled 40-year-old man, was fatally shot in the back. The indictment alleges that Faulcon shot Madison and charges Bowen with "stomping and kicking" the victim while he was wounded but not yet dead.

Madison's brother, Lance Madison, 49, was later arrested and accused of attempting to murder police officers, according to court documents. He was held three weeks before a judge ordered his release.

The indictment accuses the officers' supervisors, Arthur Kaufman and Gerard Dugue, of conspiring to cover up the crimes.

Frank DeSalvo, the chief attorney for the New Orleans police association who also is representing Bowen, said government prosecutors had simply assembled information to support their "own opinion of what happened." "It's a shame they have taken this position," he said. "We're going to play the cards we've been dealt and we'll deal a few of our own."

The indictment comes after five other New Orleans officers pleaded guilty earlier this year to participating in a conspiracy to obstruct justice and cover up police behavior in the aftermath of the shootings.

James Letten, the chief federal prosecutor in New Orleans, said Tuesday's indictment offered "compelling evidence" against officers who "abused their power in committing violent crimes against unarmed citizens they were sworn to protect."

"Be Vigilant and Safe!!"
    "Molon Labe!!"
    "It Is A Weak Man Who Urges Compromise!!"

Sponsors