Nominee for Historical Quote that Best Applies to This Year....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Nominee for Historical Quote that Best Applies to This Year....

  1. #1
    XCR Guru Sean K.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    21,372

    Nominee for Historical Quote that Best Applies to This Year....

    "It is natural for man to indulge in the illusions of hope. We are apt to shut our eyes against a painful truth, and listen to the song of that siren till she transforms us into beasts...For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth, to know the worst, and to provide for it." - Patrick Henry



    But, I'm admittedly biased.

    ***EDIT*** edited title to more accurately reflect the sentiment.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

  2. #2
    XCR Guru dont_tread_on_me's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    virginia
    Posts
    5,623

    Re: Nominee for Quote of the Year....

    I'll second that.Henry most definitely had an eloquence that echoes through the generations of Americans who can still appreciate what his words mean.He along with some of the other founders spoke with an inspirational spirit that you can still feel to this day.they gave us the gift of living in the greatest nation this planet has ever known.My shame,as an American is knowing that we have not lived up to their sacrifice and legacy.I fear it may be too late already to save out great republic,and I certainly hope I'm wrong,but what would you do if you were called on in these "times that try men's souls" to once again as Americans to stand up and answer Liberties call?

    THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as FREEDOM should not be highly rated. Britain, with an army to enforce her tyranny, has declared that she has a right (not only to TAX) but "to BIND us in ALL CASES WHATSOEVER" and if being bound in that manner, is not slavery, then is there not such a thing as slavery upon earth. Even the expression is impious; for so unlimited a power can belong only to God.
    Thomas Paine



    War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things: the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks nothing worth a war, is worse.... A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.----John Stuart Mill

  3. #3
    Super Moderator Underground's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Posts
    6,142

    Re: Nominee for Quote of the Year....

    Shouldn't quote of the year be from that year?

    I think it might be "Bring de amberlamps."



    That guy, he said I should be oblong and have my knees removed. But I don't trust him, he plays the banjo.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    XCR Guru Sean K.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    21,372

    Re: Nominee for Quote of the Year....

    Quote Originally Posted by dont_tread_on_me View Post
    I'll second that.Henry most definitely had an eloquence that echoes through the generations of Americans who can still appreciate what his words mean.He along with some of the other founders spoke with an inspirational spirit that you can still feel to this day.they gave us the gift of living in the greatest nation this planet has ever known.My shame,as an American is knowing that we have not lived up to their sacrifice and legacy.I fear it may be too late already to save out great republic,and I certainly hope I'm wrong,but what would you do if you were called on in these "times that try men's souls" to once again as Americans to stand up and answer Liberties call?

    THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as FREEDOM should not be highly rated. Britain, with an army to enforce her tyranny, has declared that she has a right (not only to TAX) but "to BIND us in ALL CASES WHATSOEVER" and if being bound in that manner, is not slavery, then is there not such a thing as slavery upon earth. Even the expression is impious; for so unlimited a power can belong only to God.
    Thomas Paine
    Funny.....Paine didn't seem to believe in God. Not that there's anything wrong with that belief.....just kinda odd how he phrased the last part.

    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

  6. #5
    XCR Guru Sean K.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    21,372

    Re: Nominee for Quote of the Year....

    Quote Originally Posted by Underground View Post
    Shouldn't quote of the year be from that year?

    I think it might be "Bring de amberlamps."
    Good point....

    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

  7. #6
    XCR Guru Difranco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Republic of Cascadia
    Posts
    2,403

    Re: Nominee for Quote of the Year....

    Shouldn't quote of the year be from the year we are nominating for?
    Visit Minute of Angle Forums
    A truth’s initial commotion is directly proportional to how deeply the lie was believed. When a well-packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations, the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic.

  8. #7
    XCR Guru Sean K.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    21,372

    Re: Nominee for Quote of the Year....

    Quote Originally Posted by Difranco View Post
    Shouldn't quote of the year be from the year we are nominating for?
    Well, that was Underground's argument....but the spirit in which this was posted was: What historical quote fit our current economic/political situation the best?

    The confusion is my fault....I just liked the quote, so I put it up under the original title on the website I stole it from.

    Sean
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

  9. #8
    XCR Guru Difranco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Republic of Cascadia
    Posts
    2,403

    Re: Nominee for Historical Quote that Best Applies to This Year....

    You don't have to come and confess
    we're lookin' for you
    we gon find you


    Visit Minute of Angle Forums
    A truth’s initial commotion is directly proportional to how deeply the lie was believed. When a well-packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations, the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic.

  10. #9
    XCR Guru Sean K.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    21,372

    Re: Nominee for Historical Quote that Best Applies to This Year....

    Quote Originally Posted by Difranco View Post
    You don't have to come and confess
    we're lookin' for you
    we gon find you

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMtZfW2z9dw
    ROFLMAO! Too funny.

    Sean
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

  11. #10
    Rifleman SGT. MAC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    175

    Re: Nominee for Quote of the Year....

    Quote Originally Posted by Sean K. View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Underground View Post
    Shouldn't quote of the year be from that year?

    I think it might be "Bring de amberlamps."
    Good point....

    Yes, this is the quote of 2010.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsors

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Great Quote I'd Never Heard Before:
    By Sean K. in forum Politicking
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-09-2013, 01:11 AM
  2. Quote of the Day
    By TomAiello in forum Politicking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-04-2012, 11:17 AM
  3. Penn Jillette Quote
    By admin in forum Politicking
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 10-25-2011, 03:16 PM
  4. Relevant Quote from Ayn Rand:
    By Sean K. in forum Politicking
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-23-2010, 06:15 PM
  5. 2012 Presidential Nominee
    By terrorist hunter in forum Politicking
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 08-22-2009, 10:00 PM