Rounds not locking into the bolt?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rounds not locking into the bolt?

Rounds not locking into the bolt?

I just got a new barrel and bolt from RA because my last ones were causing all my brass to have a flared neck because they were apparently not seated in the barrel properly. (see my thread in the problems forum a few topics down titled "Flared neck on all ejected brass" for details)

So I put in the new barrel and bolt and took it to the range yesterday and while it will load a round, it will not fire a round or extract the round from the chamber. Watching the mechanism it doesn't look like the round is 'locking' into the bolt...

Any advice/input before I contact RA?

Jack A Sol

Re: Rounds not locking into the bolt?

you'll get some lengthy explanations and advice following this I'm sure. best I can do is guess that either the extractor is incorrect/missing or the bolt is bad somehow.

Best advice you'll get on repairs is that you need to send the WHOLE GUN IN for warrantee work. that way they can check it as a system before they send it back. this site is littered with people who refused to do that and had no end to problems as a result.

good luck.

:duh: :duh: :duh:

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by WatchoutforStobor View Post
    :duh: :duh: :duh:
    Tell me about it, lol.

If it's not firing, it would sound to me like the extractor is there, but as you said the round isn't seating against the bolt face. Essentially, the case is getting stuck on the lugs. The lugs will push the round out of the mag and into the chamber, but the cartridge base/rim isn't sliding past the extractor to rest against the bolt face. That's why the firing pin isn't striking and the round won't extract.

I think that's odd to say the least. What caliber are you using? If I remember correctly it's 5.56 that was bulging brass from your previous thread. To the best of my knowledge, the 5.56 is the smallest diameter (under 10mm) cartridge rim of all the calibers the XCR is chambered in (even smaller than the new 5.45x39). So I doubt that you got sent a bolt for a different caliber. So it is either out of spec, or the extractor isn't lifting and sliding over the rim.

If you want to try to check it on your own, PM Don't_Tread_On_Me and ask him to email you the armorer's manual. Then look up how to remove the extractor from the bolt.

The only other cause I can think of would be another chamber that is too large. Basically the round gets pushed so far into the chamber that the rim isn't sticking out. The bolt interfaces with the extension and locks, but the round is too deep in the barrel to grab.

Have you noticed if the rifle seems to be out of battery at all? Have you tried the forward assist function? Although, I might test the forward assist with an empty case...in case it gets stuck, I'd hate to have you trying to unstick a live round.
    Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Pull the bolt,then try to snap a case under the extractor.Look to see if the boltface fits the cartridge your using.For instance a 7.62x39 case will not fit into a 5.56x45 bolt face.If you have a 7.62x39 extractor on a 5.56 bolt,the 5.56 case should still go under the extractor but you won't get reliable extraction.When you say the gun will not fire,do you mean the hammer falls but you get no primer detonation...or nothing happens at all?

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things: the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks nothing worth a war, is worse.... A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.----John Stuart Mill

If a 5.56 round will not at least fit into the bolt face you probably have an out of spec bolt,because any of the other extractors the XCR is chambered for should allow the 5.56 to fit under it.

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things: the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks nothing worth a war, is worse.... A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.----John Stuart Mill

Thanks for the reply.
    The rounds fit into the bolt face, not sure why they are not 'locking' into it though.
    When I pull the trigger, the hammer falls but the round does not go off (and there are no marks on the primer).

So they do snap under the extractor? When you chamber a round does the bolt go all the way into battery?

They will snap under the extractor when the bolt is out of the gun, but not when it is in the gun.

Not sure if the bolt is going all the way into battery...will check in a few minutes here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsors