Weird Vertical Stringing
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Weird Vertical Stringing

Weird Vertical Stringing

I am experiencing some weird vertical stringing. After searching around here can't find an answer or question to what I am seeing. I have a .223 XCR with a 18.6 Hbar. Tried 2 different sources of ammo.

Handloads with 60 grain Hornady vmax over 25 grns, 26 grns, and 27 grns of powder. All were hand measured on a digital scale so they are spot on.

Second was 55 grain FMJ Winchester white box.

Both ammo sources string vertically bad. Horizontally they are within 1.5 inch at worst, most closer then that to each other. Vertically they are spread over 2- 4 inches. Historically I could never shoot the rifle to get this type of accuracy out of it. But now I got a good scope and a good trigger pull, my groups have significantly tightened up.

All shots were off the bench at 100 yards. Holding breath at natural pause. Before and after the shot the scope was still sighting in on the target. I even played with the gas off and still got vertical stringing. I always run the gun on setting 1, after break in have never had to turn up. Let the rifle cool between shots of 5 or when barrel felt warm to touch. barrel nut was tight(I know not this cause had this come loose once before and it went all over, up down, side to side and back again).

I don't expect bench rest accuracy but if they could group vertically like they do side to side I would be ecstatic. I love the rifle and how it works, but am continuously frustrated with accuracy out of it. Has anyone else experienced this or have some suggestions?

Re: Weird Vertical Stringing

Perhaps you barrel is loose? Perhaps your optics are loose?
    Fio para bellator - be the Prepared Warrior

I remember an older post that was titled almost the same. I looked and couldn't find it. I want to say it was Eric Cartman, but I could be way off. If I am able to find it, I will post a link. Or maybe someone else will recall?
    hope for the best, prepare for the worst, and make hay while the sun shines!

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

I remember that other Thread .
    I think Tara suggested taking off the flash hider and checking if the barrel was crowned or not. :duh: I think... that was a while and copious amounts of beer ago. ;D
    When Mad Max comes... I'll be waiting !!!

Well thanks for the replies. I'm taking from the lack of replies and information that this doesn't happen with many guns and may be some sort of weird shooter induced error or something goofy with my rifle.

Will continue to test and have other shoot my rifle and see if they can duplicate. Hopefully someone on here with a great explanation will chime in.

AK Bert, Was your rifle shooting good before? Have you taken your barrel off reciently? I would remove the barrel, inspect it, and reinstall being careful to the removal/installation instructions. Should fix your problem I would think. If not, I would immediately call Robinson for their input. Good luck.
    Fio para bellator - be the Prepared Warrior

Vertical Stringing is due to hot loads or a chamber that is too tight.

This is why you have to load for each barrel, what will work near maximum for one barrel, most likely will not work for another barrel.

What powder are you using? 26-27 seems to be about 2 full grains too high. Back off 2 grains and I am sure the stringing will stop.

What kind of muzzle device do you have and how long have you been using it?
    The above text may or may not represent the views of the XCR Forum, LurpyGeek, or various personalities contained therein. May not be reproduced without the express written consent of Major League Baseball. Keep out of reach of children. Consult a doctor before reading. May cause drowsiness, itching, apathy and vomiting. Do not resume sexual activity while operating heavy machinery. Thank you and good day.

I know the chamber is tight. One of the reloads would not chamber but worked fine in another 223 rifle.

I was using 25-27 grains of varget. This is right inline with Hogden and Hornady Reloading data(which I think are the same). I want to think the ammo is good because I used 2 different sources and they both did it. One source was factory Winchester 55 FMJ white box.

Never been able to shoot the rifle accurate enough to get these types of results. Mostly never had a good scope on it and so with iron sights only ever saw big groups(4+) at 100 yards. Which to me was to big to tell anything definitive. I want to say it just started, but thats only because I have just noticed it. Again I may have just noticed it because I was never able to achieve this level of precision before. I have not removed anything recently. The scope and barrel are on tight.

Are you positive it's not shooting technique? Vertical stringing can be caused by a lot of things that are shooter induced.
    The XCR has a (pardon my french) shit cheek weld if you have the factory tube folder.

According to "Fred's Guide to Becoming a Rifleman" (Appleseed's guiding handbook to an extent)....it says vertical stringing can be cause by failure to hold breath or erratic breathing while squeezing the trigger; eye relief not constant; improper vertical alignment of sights.

Probably NOT your problem.....but something worth considering.

Sean
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Sponsors