new XCR failure to cycle
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new XCR failure to cycle

new XCR failure to cycle

First to clear up what i have here is a "XCR-L" that has the upper of a XCR~SBR (I believe)

last May(2010) I had a Class 3 Dealer order a SBR~XCR. 8 months later, with no news on the forms, I started hammering my dealer to find out whats taking so long. Turns out Robinson never filed the paper work, and would do so now. I had already been waiting 9 months by this time, and said "If they don't just put a long barrel on the thing and send it out, keep it!" So a week later I get this.

spent 100 rounds, with out a single cycle. Tryed on all setting.

Ammo type:
    Federal Ammunition
    5.56x45mm
    62 Grain Ball FMJ

I thought maybe it just needs to be broken at first but by the end of the day, with out even a hint of it trying to cycle, started to think something is wrong.

I've read through the "problem" section on the forms most problems guys are having, isn't happening on this rifle.

As far as i can tell it just like a XCR-L with a SBR upper for a 10" barrel.

But perhaps Robinson didn't put the right parts into my SBR to make it a fully functioning XCR-L 16".
    Maybe it has the wrong buffer spring. (I.e. for a 7.62 or 6.5, i don't know)
    Gas piston may be the short. Perhaps was left in from the SBR.
    Or just a manufacturing fault some where in the rifle I can't detect.

I have made sure that gas is getting to the piston.
    I heard people where having problems with the gas block coming loose, and moving on them, but mine is snug, and locked in good. On one of these picture I used a pipe cleaner and pushed it through the gas block, into the barrel. To insure it's properly aligned, and free from obstructions.

The Gas tube has 6 holes on it. i know it is supposed to, but just feeding you guys some info here.
    The piston sits at the 3 hole from the top. When to bolt all the way forward.

Thought maybe the Piston should seat all the way up to the gas block, and not 2 holes away form it

The manual cycling is smooth, and I really like it.(Just like it a lot more if it would do it on its own.)

Any information would be help full, had this less then a month, would like to show it off.
    But its embarrassing showing off this [s]simi~auto[/s] Bolt action rifle.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails new XCR  failure to cycle-overall.jpg   new XCR  failure to cycle-gas-block.jpg   new XCR  failure to cycle-gas-knob2.jpg   new XCR  failure to cycle-barrel-01.jpg   new XCR  failure to cycle-overall.jpg  

new XCR  failure to cycle-gas-block.jpg   new XCR  failure to cycle-gas-knob2.jpg   new XCR  failure to cycle-barrel-01.jpg  

Re: new XCR failure to cycle

Also I forgot to add.

The Gas knob has a little play in it not much, it's also in the pictures.

When in battery the head of the piston should sit just inside the hole in the back of the gasblock.From what I can tell by your information,you have the wrong piston length

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things: the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks nothing worth a war, is worse.... A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.----John Stuart Mill

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

That's frustrating! :duh:

Been there, done that. :P

It sounds like maybe they threw the 16" barrel on but didn't change the piston head to 16" length. It would be a pretty simple fix, if you can get them to mail the right part quickly.

Good luck.

"If they don't just put a long barrel on the thing and send it out, keep it!"

Well there's your problem.... 8)

They did EXACTLY what you told them to do... :duh:

Unfortunately what you should have said was, "If they don't just put a long barrel AND long piston head on the thing and send it out, keep it!"

Now the daunting question you have to ask yourself.... Did they INTENTIONALLY do it, taking your words literally just to piss you off, or did they do it completely by mistake? You'd think a test firing would be pretty standard after making such a change....

zeb777....PM sent....KermitZ

To: rusirius

Ya I guess I'll just have to hold their hand.

They cant seem to File proper paperwork, why would I expect them to give me a fully functional rifle that I payed $1300+ for.
    Guess I'm not paying for quality, here.

But all joking aside. I'm really and not pleased with the failure to at least, test fire it before they "put their stamp of approval" on a item.

And: KermitZ

Thanks, I'll get the info you requested sent later today.

Here is the length of the Gas piston

10-1/4 inches.

This the normal length for a 16" barrel?
    --------------------------------------------------------------

Also added a picture of where the piston sits inside the gas tube.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails new XCR  failure to cycle-oprod.jpg   new XCR  failure to cycle-gas-tube.jpg   new XCR  failure to cycle-oprod.jpg   new XCR  failure to cycle-gas-tube.jpg  

Bingo. You found the problem. This is my piston from the 16" system.

Do what you've always done, get what you've always got. ----- Have gun. Will travel.

:duh: looks like RA missed that one. You have the mini piston, straight -L pistion is longer. No wonder it won't cycle. Thankfully it's an easy fix, but it shouldn't of happen in the 1st place.
    "Tis better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt." - Pres. A. Lincoln

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsors