XCR Broken Firing Pins Poll

View Poll Results: How Many XCR Firing Pins Have You Broken?

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll

53 85.48%

8 12.90%

1 1.61%
  • 3+

0 0%
Like Tree13Likes
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: XCR Broken Firing Pins Poll

XCR Broken Firing Pins Poll

It seems like that broken firing pins is a pretty common problem with the XCR even with the updated pins. I haven't broken any yet, I have maybe 1K through my rifle which came with the updated pin. I just wanted to take a poll to see how many have experienced this problem. This is my go-to rifle for a number of reasons, but I'm not sure if it will continue to be if I'm worried about my firing pin going bad on me when I need it most.

If you have broken an XCR firing pin, please post how many rounds you had through it at failure. Thanks!
    BADDFROGG likes this.

Re: XCR Broken Firing Pins Poll

I own 2, one has 3800 the other 1900 I have had zero problems so far.
    Walking through the waste land formally known as the USA

I own 2 also, both with the updated pins, I would say 1000 to 1500 rounds in each, and no issues with the pin (knocking on wood).

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

I've got over 5K rounds through a couple with the "updated" firing pin....no problems....but I too am a little concerned about hearing of all the broken ones. Have a spare bolt and get some additional spare pins, JIC....at least that's my plan now.

Sean
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

For those that maybe wondering, the firing pin is the same for the "L" calibers. Don't know if they are using the same in the "M".

"Be Vigilant and Safe!!"
    "Molon Labe!!"
    "It Is A Weak Man Who Urges Compromise!!"

I have @ 2k rounds through 5.56 kit and 1k through 7.62 kit. No problems with pin. I have extra bolts and pins so not worried.
    Riding, Shooting, or Golfing...you pick and I will be there.

I have the one that broke recently. In all fairness, I have gotten all of my XCR parts used, so I have no idea of the round count.
    hope for the best, prepare for the worst, and make hay while the sun shines!

About 2000 rounds on my L model. I am still rocking the old school firing pin.

Am I rolling the dice by not upgrading? If I upgrade, do I need a new bolt too?
    BADDFROGG likes this.

I have a 5.56 bolt that has seen aprx 9500 rounds, another that has just broke 1000 and a 7.62x39 that is hovering around 6000. All are the new design. All still running like a champ.

Now that I have commented on this one of them will break. :tinhat: That's what happen when I commented on the cracked op rod thread.
    BADDFROGG likes this.
    "Tis better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt." - Pres. A. Lincoln

Out of all my XCR's, I've had one pin breakage, and that was with the new-style pin.
    I had about 5K through that one at the time IIRC, and it still functioned just fine. Because I had cleaned it not that long before Alex found the broken pin, I question if it had broken AFTER I cleaned it - I always work the action several times after reassembly to spread the lube and function check. That makes the most sense to me, because I never had a malf.

Anyway, Alex found it and Terra (the lovable Queen of the Universe) replaced it right then and there - he told me at the time that they'd had a bad run of pins, where some of them had a ridge left after the machining process that wasn't polished out. That ridge created a stress riser, and that's where they were breaking. Not many of them had failed from that batch, but it was noteworthy that the known failures were pretty much located in that batch.

And no, the -M uses a completely different pin than the -L. Personally, I prefer the way the -M bolt is made to the way the -L bolt is made. At one time, Alex said something about possibly taking the bolt design retro to the -L. I'd be all for that.
    BADDFROGG likes this.
    Do you really think we want laws to be observed? We want them broken. There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. When there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be crimes that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws. Who wants law-abiding citizens? Pass the kind of laws that can’t be observed, enforced, or objectively interpreted - and you create a nation of law-breakers.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Sponsors