Bolt stuck open three times today
Like Tree15Likes
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bolt stuck open three times today

Bolt stuck open three times today

At the end of three mags today the bolt jammed open. It didn't seem to be the bolt catch/ release it was stuck. Had to pop it open and physically push it forward. Cycled fine fired fine.

Its a new xcr-l in 5.56/.223. Shooting Winchester 223 50 grain I believe. I had followed a slow break in and these were just nearing the 100 round point.

Any thoughts on what to check? Seemed to bee some scoring/ wear on the bottom of the bolt carrier.

Had some strong trigger slap on gas setting 4 and just dialed to 3.

Thanks for any guidance...

test out the rifle at different gas settings to see if you can make it happen again. Maybe just the break in period? Please describe the trigger slap you are getting. At all settings?

Check the ejector bolts to make sure they are not loose. Also take a look at the operating rod and bolt for any gouges to see if there was anything rubbing there as well.
    DocB likes this.

"Be Vigilant and Safe!!"
    "Molon Labe!!"
    "It Is A Weak Man Who Urges Compromise!!"

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

HI Guys... thanks for the input. I'll check it over in detail tonight (I didn't have time to check last night) but from the quick field disassemble I noted some noticeable wear/scratches along the bottom of the bolt carrier. The bolt release seemed to be working just the bolt stuck about 1-2 mm behind that point. Previously during the first 60 rounds I kept it on gas setting 4 and was having the trigger smack my finger enough to make it sting for a few seconds. After unjamming it I could manually cycle it over and over without it sticking. All 20 shots 4X5 went off without issue just at the end when the bolt holds open it was "stuck" open. I'll pull it apart and shoot a picture of anything I come across.

Check your buffer too. Some have been finding in the newer guns that the gas did not need to be at 4 to start the break in.

"Be Vigilant and Safe!!"
    "Molon Labe!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
    Check your buffer too. Some have been finding in the newer guns that the gas did not need to be at 4 to start the break in.
    With the buffer am I just checking for obvious damage? Thanks again for your advice and direction. It is greatly appreciated.

Canadian Eh,
    I have a Cdn Spec XCR-L in 6.8 SPC. I didn't have the problem of the bolt sticking open, but I really echo Merlin's comments. (Look to see if there are any signs of wear on the buffer if they are minor, turn down your gas and order a new buffer so you'll have one "just in case". If the buffer has obvious signs of wear, I would order a couple new ones, replace the existing one and have a back up.) When I was breaking in my XCR, by 150 rounds, my buffer was chewed up and gone. I replaced it and dialed the gas back to 2 and now, the only problem I have when I take it to the local range is getting that silly smile off my face when I shoot it! Congrats on your purchase and have fun.
    Hoag
    "Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few." ~ Sir Winston Churchill after the Battle of Britain.

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Eh View Post
    With the buffer am I just checking for obvious damage? Thanks again for your advice and direction. It is greatly appreciated.
    What Mr. Hoag said. If the buffer is eaten up, parts may have gotten stuck in the 'action'. Don't forget to make sure your ejector bolts are snug but do not Hercules it are you will be sorry.

"Be Vigilant and Safe!!"
    "Molon Labe!!"

Could it have been a mag that had the mag catch slot cut too low and was holding the mag too high in the receiver? That might explain the scratches on the bottom of the bolt. I had a similar issue with an AR-180B, but it was the mag catch, not the mags that were out of spec.

Finally got time to strip it, clean and inspect it. The deflector is solid. The buffer shows no wear, It was all a little dirty but nothing jumped out except the light wear on the bottom of the bolt carrier and bolt. The marks were gold/brass colored rather than just silver from wearing the black coating on the surfaces. Here are some pictures: Bolt stuck open three times today-bolt-carrier2.jpgBolt stuck open three times today-bolt-carrier1.jpgBolt stuck open three times today-photo-2-.jpg Any thoughts? The bolt hold and release seems to work well it just seemed that when firing the bolt got stuck back and wouldn't release forward.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sponsors