Bolt Peening on lug - Page 2
Like Tree4Likes
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bolt Peening on lug

Before you shoot the new bolt....make sure the fixed ejector is properly aligned and tight. If not, you could end up with two peened bolts.
    Mechanic likes this.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

The bolt is certainly not the cause of the damage. Until you're certain the cause has been addressed, I would not allow the bolt to drop home. You might try sliding the BCG (no recoil spring) back and forth in the upper so you can watch the bolt as it meets the ejector.

You didn't include pics of the carrier that show the engagement surface well, nor the face of the bolt. With that kind of damage on the bolt, I'm guessing the carrier is also damaged.

Good luck.
    "Don't Tread On Me!"
    -- (reiterated without permission) Rich Hornay

It's not the ejector. It's tight. There is no damage to the carrier. Robarms said it was a bad bolt and was not the updated geometry.

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by menzzer37 View Post
    It's not the ejector. It's tight. There is no damage to the carrier. Robarms said it was a bad bolt and was not the updated geometry.
    It's not a matter of simply being loose though....did you check to make sure it is properly aligned to the groove in the carrier (with the bolt installed)? If you haven't, do the test Mechanic mentioned (though I usually just take the lower off the upper, flip the upper upside down on a table and drag the carrier bolt and piston assembly out via the recoil spring). The "official" test by RA was that if the recoil spring came out of the piston/recoil rod, then there was drag in the system somewhere that could lead to short strokes....but it will also tell you (as you'll be able to see it happen) if the ejector isn't properly aligned to the groove in the bolt/carrier.
    Mechanic likes this.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

Good luck with that!
    "Don't Tread On Me!"

Ejector is aligned with the groove and is smooth in operation. Took out and shot a couple hundred rounds, good to go. Why do I need luck?

Ejector is aligned with the groove and is smooth in operation. Took out and shot a couple hundred rounds, good to go. Why do I need luck?
    I'm glad it's working for you. I'm quite curious about the "updated geometry".
    "Don't Tread On Me!"

Quote Originally Posted by Mechanic View Post
    I'm glad it's working for you. I'm quite curious about the "updated geometry".
    Me too....wonder if the BCG change necessitated a bolt "geometry" change too?? Wonder if an old BCG bolt got mixed in with the new BCG in his rifle? I had no idea they might be different.

They look identical. I also have a 300blk in the micro config and it looks the same as well. Wonder if it didn't get heat treated. I could do a hardness test to check. I'm guessing it's 4140? Should be between 40-50 HRC?

They look identical. I also have a 300blk in the micro config and it looks the same as well. Wonder if it didn't get heat treated. I could do a hardness test to check. I'm guessing it's 4140? Should be between 40-50 HRC?
    Is the 300blk an old style BCG and bolt though?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsors