Case neck damage
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Case neck damage

Case neck damage

Has anyone else noticed case neck damage during the break in period? I finally was able to get out and shoot my new XCR today and put about 320 rounds of 5.56 through it. Probably 30% of the cases we picked up had one or more dents in the side of the neck. One we found had a little bit of the lip torn back.

I only experienced one malfunction out of the lot and that was a failure to eject. It had started to feed the next round and jammed on the empty sideways. Easily cleared, no other problems.

It was tossing brass about 13-15' with the gas setting on 3.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
    That guy, he said I should be oblong and have my knees removed. But I don't trust him, he plays the banjo.

Re: Case neck damage

Try a lower gas setting,they just might be coming out to hard/fast and mashing the neck/case on the ejection port or shell defelector on the side.Ideal ejection distance is about 8-10 feet.

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things: the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks nothing worth a war, is worse.... A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.----John Stuart Mill

Mine does that. I bend them back out before running them through the sizing die. Only takes a minute.

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

DSM

That brass is still pretty hot and soft when it gets shot out the ejection port, easier to damage. Unless it is really banged up (meaning smashed flat because I stepped on it) I just run them through the sizing die. Hornady dies have a good, tapered button that smooths them back out.
    When have any of our plans ever actually worked? We plan, we get there, all hell breaks loose.

Mine puts a slight dent in about 10% of them, I'd say, which I believe comes from contact with the shell deflector. The sizing die takes care of it, no problem.

Like someone said, now that you have run the "break in procedure", you should turn the gas down; that might make a difference for you.

Ok, the one I saw that was torn kind of worried me a bit, but none of that seemed to interfere with functioning. I'll turn the gas down next time and see how that does.

Thanks.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
    That guy, he said I should be oblong and have my knees removed. But I don't trust him, he plays the banjo.

it's typical during breakin. It's just how it ejects the shell. That, or you're shooting next to a wall/something hard and they're denting as they hit.
    Resident Forum Slut

Well they were just landing in the short grass so it's happening in the rifle. What I did find odd was that while most cases (of the ones that were dented at all) had a single dent in the neck while others would have 2 or even 3 around the circumference. They were all dented to pretty much the same degree.

DSM

Brush out the chamber real good, you might have some gunk stuck in there. You might try turning off the gas and firing a shot to see if it is internal or just part of the ejection.
    When have any of our plans ever actually worked? We plan, we get there, all hell breaks loose.

I'm still in the break-in period, running gas setting 4, and I'm getting a very consistent dent in every single neck. However if I strap on my brass catcher I get none! That suggests to me that the dent is occurring when the case hits the ground, but given how consistent it is I find that hard to conceive....

What gas settings are people typically using for standard .223 loads on 11" barrels after "break-in"?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsors