This just happened: Heli-Coil wants to leave town?!
Like Tree2Likes
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This just happened: Heli-Coil wants to leave town?!

This just happened: Heli-Coil wants to leave town?!

How can I fix this?? This is the one for the case deflector.

Fool-proofing serves only one purpose: identify bigger fools.

You have to pull it and install a new one. You'll likely need to buy the tap and install tool....pull the old one by grabbing with needle nose or similar and wind out....then tap very carefully...install the new one with lockign compound (most likely)
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

I'd also tap with tapping fluid like Tap Magic.....but you can sub regular oil instead. Just something to lube it...even WD40 would work in a pinch. Make sure it's an STI tap for the correct size helicoil (or other brand) coils.
    Last edited by Sean K.; 08-16-2019 at 10:04 PM.
    Merlin likes this.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

Thanks times three, Sean. I wonder if I should chance sending to RA since I don't know the specs and would have to invest in new tools just to fix this one thing...

Quote Originally Posted by fmunk View Post
    Thanks times three, Sean. I wonder if I should chance sending to RA since I don't know the specs and would have to invest in new tools just to fix this one thing...
    Yeah...the tool isn't cheap usually. Though if you go with an offbrand, it's less expensive.

If I had the one you needed, I'd do it for you (used to do Helicoils on the Apache all the time)....but I don't have the kit anymore.

I would recommend watching a few youtube vids on helicoil installs...it's super simple. You can do it...and the tools can be bought at your local NAPA generally speaking.

**EDIT** Is this the helicoil INSIDE the upper that holds one of the ejector bolts or on the outside where the "omni" buffer or case deflector goes? The outside one shoudl be simple. The inside will require loctite 242?? IIRC on the number for small bolts.
    Last edited by Sean K.; 08-16-2019 at 10:31 PM.

It's the outside one holding the omni buffer/deflector. RA parts page only has their part number and $2 pricing. Any idea what size tap?
    Last edited by fmunk; 08-16-2019 at 10:39 PM.

It's the outside one holding the omni buffer/deflector. RA parts page only has their part number and $2 pricing. Any idea what size tap?
    Nope...without pulling it, I wouldn't know. I'm guessing something like a 10-32 or smaller.

If you want...you can send me the upper and I'll fix it.

I'm just thinking the cost of shipping it may not be worth it.

If Nate's buying it...he may not even care.

How can I fix this?? This is the one for the case deflector.

Had the same thing happen to me on my L-Pistol. I shipped it back to RA, they had it back to me in just over a week with a new helicoil, red loctited in from appearances. Holly took care of me.
    fmunk likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsors