Casings ejecting with crescent moon dent at mouth/neck
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By navalbeaver
  • 1 Post By Sean K.

Thread: Casings ejecting with crescent moon dent at mouth/neck

Casings ejecting with crescent moon dent at mouth/neck

Hi all,

I just recently bought an XCR-L and shot it for the first time the other day. I had the gas set on 5 and then turned it down to 4 and put about 50 rounds through it at 50 yards with both 55 and 62 grain.
    All shell casings were ejecting out about 20-30 feet, with a dent on one side at the mouth/neck area looking like a crescent moon. Is this normal? Should I worry about this potential issue damaging my rifle? I just want to make sure I get it checked out or resolved before pumping anymore rounds through it.

Any help is much appreciated as this is my first rifle!

Thank you!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Casings ejecting with crescent moon dent at mouth/neck-5e1ac66d-bccb-4b3a-b9fb-c3f5cd15db57_1599494071585.jpeg   Casings ejecting with crescent moon dent at mouth/neck-2c144e00-6c56-4249-a70b-5fe57e4c45e5_1599494097515.jpeg  

Did you go to 3?

I've seen some minor deformation in the case mouth on mine but that looks like a lot. Try turning down the gas and see what happens.
    RobertSlaughter likes this.

Thanks for the reply naval. I didn’t get it down to three but plan to try 3 down to 1 next time I shoot. Based on what I’ve read, this could be a common occurrence from the xcr if gas is too high and ejection is more violent that it needs to be. Does that line with your experience?

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

I think Nate is spot on. It sounds like you're running your gas setting too high.I usually run on 2 or 3, but mine is the type one has system.
    "Spes Mea in Deo Est"--My hope is in GOD
    The antidote for fifty enemies is one friend.--Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by mjorin View Post
    I think Nate is spot on. It sounds like you're running your gas setting too high.I usually run on 2 or 3, but mine is the type one has system.
    Agree with what the others have said. Ejection should be 8-12 feet. Turn down the gas until you get to that point. I've had several XCRs that bent the case mouths on ejection when the gas is set higher. I don't typically worry about it too much since I shoot a lot of steel case and won't be reloading it, but will run a higher than necessary gas setting since I hardly ever clean or oil my guns and reliability is more important than extra recoil impulse to me.
    RobertSlaughter likes this.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

Sponsors