I kind of regret buying the XCR...
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I kind of regret buying the XCR...

I kind of regret buying the XCR...

Brand new rifle and had "broken it in" a little with 50 rounds or so and a few hundred dry fires. I took it to a tactical class and all I had was problems... first trigger reset problem follwed by lots of FTE and double feeds. Good thing I brought my LWRCi AR -- not a single problem (so the mags are OK). There were a couple of other XCRs in the class and only one of them made it through the class without a problem.

I like the ergonomics of this rifle but honestly, I don't trust it. My LWRCi worked out of the box, my Noveske worked out of the box, my Glocks worked out of the box. I know many of you love your rifle and many have had no problems but given the number of others who have had problems and the "tuning" required to a new rifle, I am not sure this rifle is ready for prime time.

Should I sell this rifle (although I don't feel that good pawning off a problem weapon to someone else)? If not, how does one rebuild confidence in something that your life could depend on?

Re: I kind of regret buying the XCR...

RobArms recommends 3-400 rnds on gas setting 4 for the initial break in. Do you know what setting you were on? Did you check the ejector and gas block screws were tight? Did you properly adjust the barrel bolt 250 in lbs? From the sound of it, Im guessing you have the older trigger. All that takes is a honing stone to the contact points on the trigger to smooth her out and correct the failure to resets.

Even if the rifle does have issues other than break in, you can rest assured Terra (employee at RobArms) will get you taken care of. It would probably help if you contact her directly via email or call the office. This should be your first step.
    "When your life depends on it, you will not rise to the level of your expectations, but rather fall to the level of your training."

Oh and what kind of ammo/magazines were you using? I know you stated that they worked fine in your LWRCI.

Ill give you $750 to take that unreliable, piece of $h!# off your hands ;D
    "When your life depends on it, you will not rise to the level of your expectations, but rather fall to the level of your training."

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

Not to mention BEFORE you go to any kind of shooting class,you should have function tested your rifle for reliability.A class is no place to find out your rifle isn't 100%.If it's not,the issues should be addressed before attending.As mentioned on other threads here,the problems you see posted are a small portion of XCR owners.You don't always hear how many run well.If you can't get it to run,as mentioned,Terra will make it right.Robinson customer support is Class A.

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things: the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks nothing worth a war, is worse.... A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.----John Stuart Mill

I know how you feel man, a gun that does not work right out of the box can really get you down. I had problems with the XCR myself, FTF, FTE, crappy trigger, ejector coming loose, and light primer strikes. All of these issues have since been resolved and now I trust the gun 100%.

I too was about to give up on the XCR but then I came on this forum and with the help of Terra and others, I got my gun working the way it's suppose to. I guess if it was not for Terra I might have sold my XCR too.

For first 400 rounds I recommend shooting NATO ammo on gas setting 5 and also make sure it is well lubed. The XCR seems to be tight from the get go so you will have to break it in a little to get everything moving smoothly. All my FTE and FTF happened before the first 100 rounds because I ran her dry and did not break her in on the highest gas setting with hot ammo like was suggested by Robarms.

For the ejector, they now come loctited from the factory, but mine was not and it caused all kinds of misfeeds because of cases FTE. Once I properly put it back in place with red loctite she has not given me problem since.

The crappy trigger is now replaced with a new trigger that is just as nice as my Giselle. Good triggers are well worth the money, and even though the new trigger feels like a "match" trigger, Robarms claim it is a "combat" trigger, so at least you have some assurance it will be reliable through the years (unlike match triggers).

My LPS problems occurred after my Bill Sprinfield trigger job and even then only with Wolf ammo. Not a big deal to some, but I shoot Wolf a lot so it bugged me. The LPS problem disappeared once I got the new trigger.

Another thing I would recommend is if you ever take the barrel off is to make sure it goes back in properly seated. I have heard problems from others, FTF, FTE, if the barrel was not properly seated. Might also want to run the gas tube holes up as some claim it runs better that way.

Good luck and I hope you get her working.

Jack-O is out for the moment, but will return shortly :ninja:

Quote Originally Posted by sierraglock View Post
    Brand new rifle and had "broken it in" a little with 50 rounds or so and a few hundred dry fires.* I took it to a tactical class and all I had was problems... first trigger reset problem follwed by lots of FTE and double feeds.* Good thing I brought my LWRCi AR -- not a single problem (so the mags are OK).* There were a couple of other XCRs in the class and only one of them made it through the class without a problem.

I like the ergonomics of this rifle but honestly, I don't trust it.* My LWRCi worked out of the box, my Noveske worked out of the box, my Glocks worked out of the box.* I know many of you love your rifle and many have had no problems but given the number of others who have had problems and the "tuning" required to a new rifle, I am not sure this rifle is ready for prime time.*

Should I sell this rifle (although I don't feel that good pawning off a problem weapon to someone else)?* If not, how does one rebuild confidence in something that your life could depend on?

Sorry to hear that you had all those problems.

It is very disappointing, for sure, when you are trying to learn skills and the rifle throws you off.

I too have had a shit load of problems even with* a properly "broken in" rifle.

It's my opinion that there seems to be some quality control issues with a percentage of rifles leaving the factory and if you have one of those it will take a period of time to iron out the various issues.

I've had my rifle five months and have had to send it back to the factory twice and I have had to replace my hammer spring twice and other parts were replace because of consequences of out-of-spec parts.

I don't mind really, I'm interested to get the gun going to see if it will finally work semi-reliably and can have the money in the gun without worrying too much about selling it. Is my trust in the rifle affected? Yes.

I also have a couple of back up guns that work out-of-the-box that I can rely on as you do.

There are going to be many people here trying to find fault in you, the "operator", but do not take it to heart.

If you want to ride out the problems and send the gun in and spend quite a lot of time trying to figure out the problem to get it working only to have, in the back of your mind, that the rifle might fail again so I better use may solid gun for serious defensive use and training you might consider selling it and moving on.

If, on the other hand, you want to ride out the problems and have the gun around for fun knowing that your going to have to baby it to get it to run for any period of time, then keep it knowing that.

Putting on my flame proof suit now!

A fool takes no pleasure in understanding, but only in expressing his opinion. - Proverbs 18:2

Mr Riggs, you have been very patient with your XCR. I don't know if I would have been as patient as you

Quote Originally Posted by EricCartmann View Post
    Mr Riggs, you have been very patient with your XCR. I don't know if I would have been as patient as you
    Well, right now, I'd grab my Noveske for everything and anything important.

The XCR is going to take a while to get back in my good books.

But, I must say, Terra has been excellent and I look forward to getting my new barrel back to put it through the paces again.
    A fool takes no pleasure in understanding, but only in expressing his opinion. - Proverbs 18:2

DSM

Sucks dude, really does. But, what I say, and before you do anything else, strip the rifle down and check for anything wrong (BMW=Broken, Missing, Worn) and then run 2-300rds of good quality ammo through it to see what shakes loose from the whole situation. Maybe it "fixes" itself, or, you'll be able to paint a better picture of what's happening in there to help RobArm get your rig back up and running. Try different mags too, as many as you have, I've seen on here that some XCR's don't like PMags. Maybe it's other mags too?
    When have any of our plans ever actually worked? We plan, we get there, all hell breaks loose.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Sponsors