Bolt Won't Close/Pierced Primers
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bolt Won't Close/Pierced Primers

Bolt Won't Close/Pierced Primers

If your bolt won't close sometimes, check both your primers and look for little brass slugs in the barrel extension (sometimes smashed flat).

WHEN LOOKING AT THE PRIMERS IF THERE IS A HOLE IN THE PRIMER WHERE THE FIRING PIN HIT, STOP SHOOTING YOUR RIFLE IMMEDIATELY.

What is happening is that the firing pin hole has a sharp edge and the pressure of the primer against the bolt face cuts a little slug of primer out and leaves the hole. The slug from the primer can get caught in the action.

The fix is very simple. We very slightly break the edge of the firing pin hole. Don't do this yourself unless you know what you're doing. If you break the edge too much, you can ruin you're bolt.

DO NOT SHOOT AGAIN UNTIL FIXED.

Symptoms are that the bolt closes sometimes but not others. I'll post some pics as soon as I can. We can fix the bolt in 20 seconds.

If you have any questions, email or call our service department. 801-355-0401 or [email protected]

Thanks,

Alex J. Robinson
    Manager
    Robinson Armament Co.

Re: Bolt Won't Close/Pierced Primers

No problems of any kind yet, Alex. And that's with both my 5.56 & 6.8 SPC caliber(s). It greets & eats everything I have feed it so far, with good results. Thanks for keeping us all in the loop. 8) ;D :2cents:
    Fio para bellator - be the Prepared Warrior

As I think of weird problems that we've encountered, I'll try to post them here an our website.

The XCR is such a solid platform that there are few problems. When we do have problems, I want it easy for anyone to diagnose and fix the problems.

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

Here is a picture of what Alex is talking about.

The case on the left has a hole punched through the primer. It rarely happened to me, but there it is. One out of 500 (mostly Radway) cases checked. Perhaps the Federal case has softer primers than Radway.

I had the same thing happen in my rifle on Tuesday at the range. It was leaving a very high dimple on the primer cup. Knocked a hole right through one. Sending back my bolt in the AM to have them look it over. I also noticed when I turned the gas down to setting 2 or 3 the dimple was less apparent. Primers are CCI 400's.... I also noticed it wasn't doing it as bad when I shot LC factory ammo with a military primer.

P.S. The rifle shot some great groups!!!

Load data
    50gr VMAX
    CCI [s]200[/s]400 primer
    26.5gr TAC powder
    Guat 5.56 brass
    Seated to max length for PMAG's

This is .2 grains under book because guat is a thicker brass which will increase pressure.

Sending my bolt in to Robarm cured my problems. I love this rifle!!! No more cleaning after every shoot like my AR15.

CCI-200 are large rifle primers-will not fit .223 casing. Maybe CCI-400?

Correct!!! CCI 400

Jack A Sol

Guy's Part of what Alex is saying here comes from my kaboom. One of the first warning signs that should be given serious consideration is if the bolt locks forward and you have to forcibly pull/slam it back. I had this happen twice right before my failure, If this happens I reccomend AT THE LEAST, field stripping it, inspecting brass and checking bolt tightnesses.

my .02

I had the bolt locking issue. Each time I stopped shooting to clean and inspected the rifle. I have to admit that I never took notice of any brass discs but really didnt' know to look for it.

I sent my upper in. Once RA inspected it, Terra asked if I had primers with punched holes. I had never noticed any and only found the one after inspecting all of my spent brass. The only thing is I didn't keep all my brass, so I don't know how often it happened. My guess is it only takes one to cause a bad day.

Inspect your brass. :2cents:

Simple fix. :rapidfire:

I checked some of my Radway brass, and it's got these signs. So how do I do it, Dremel?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponsors