Weird range experience
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weird range experience

Weird range experience

Took my XCR out to the range after getting a new bolt from Terra. I'm not getting punctured primers anymore but still getting "cratering/dimpling" as seen here https://xcrforum.com/index.php/topic,4221.0.html. If all is normal then I can live with that.

The strange event I experienced was a two-round burst. It happened after switching to get setting 2 from gas setting 4 with Hornady 55 gr FMJ/BT. This ammo did not cause any other problems and I only had the "burst" once. I've inspected the rifle and haven't found any problems or obvious damage.

Has anybody else had a similar experience? Any clue as to the cause? My best guess was the lower gas setting didn't cycle the bolt hard enough, didn't allow the hammer to reset and it just followed the bolt back home to fire the newly chambered round, not sure if this is even possible. I was getting a little bit of trigger slap. I guess its possible that my follow through was interrupted by the trigger reset and under recoil I fired another round while thinking I was just holding the trigger to the rear. Did that make sense?

Other than that the rifle shot really well. No cycling issues and its a lot of fun to plink with.

Re: Weird range experience

Old ttrigger or new?

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things: the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks nothing worth a war, is worse.... A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.----John Stuart Mill

I had the exact same thing happen to me during some training today!

I chalked it up to awesome trigger reset and and the rifle rebounded me into shooting another round right after.

I've had it happen to me on other rifles too, so I'm not too worried about it.

The interesting thing is I got the whole thing on video and slowed it down too.

I'll post the video as soon as it gets to youtube.

A fool takes no pleasure in understanding, but only in expressing his opinion. - Proverbs 18:2

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

That sounds like slam fire. The manual states the firing pin assembly is broken or spring is not working (page 41). Also says to cease firing. I don't know what the risk is aside from unintentionally firing rounds.
    Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyChryst View Post
    That sounds like slam fire. The manual states the firing pin assembly is broken or spring is not working (page 41). Also says to cease firing. I don't know what the risk is aside from unintentionally firing rounds.
    I would agree with you if it happened consistently.
    A fool takes no pleasure in understanding, but only in expressing his opinion. - Proverbs 18:2

It probably just had a weak reset and when you released pressure to let the trigger reset it fired again. Happens every now and then with one particular gun I have. If it doesn't do it all the time I wouldn't worry about it. When the XCR first came out mine had a trigger that for some reason liked to just go full auto. It happened with only 5 rounds in the mag but the trigger wouldn't reset. Even in those days (pre Terra) Alex had a new trigger to me in a day. I sent the old one back in, never heard what was wrong but never had the problem again.
    Don't confuse enthusiasm for competence

Want more grip for your M&P Pistol? Send me a message.

New trigger. Thanks for the replies.

I didn't think to check the firing pin but I'll give a gander and see what it looks like.

Jack A Sol

sounds like a pretty simple doubling caused by "bumping" the trigger.

wouldnt hurt to check out the sear and firing pin tho.

Yes cratering of the primer is still normal, if you start punching primers or piercing primers, THEN you need to worry.

I agree with Jack-O, I think I did what he said in this video only the first part. But, I like to think it was planned...
    Changed music...

Considering you turned the gas up right before it happened which would normally result in more recoil, and it only happened once, I would guess you unintentionally bump fired it. But definitely still check the trigger and verify proper operation of the disconnector.

That guy, he said I should be oblong and have my knees removed. But I don't trust him, he plays the banjo.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsors