Lazy bolt close = non seated rounds/jam

Thread: Lazy bolt close = non seated rounds/jam

Lazy bolt close = non seated rounds/jam

My bolt closing is very inconsistent. Its sometimes closes crisply, but not crisp enough for me. I would say most of the time it closes lazily and slowly or half way, not seating the round. I've never seen a firearm that doesn't slam the bolt closed. The magazines don't matter, I used the same one, or different ones (Magpul, Lancer, C-Products) and sometimes I can load and fire, and other times, I get a double-feed. Twice I have jammed this so bad that a rod had to be used to get the 2 rounds out, and it looked ugly. Prior to this, I have never used a rod on any firearm.

I always have what look like metal splinters on the inside too. My other guns just have carbon residue. I don't know if its shaving off or hitting something it shouldn't be?

It has 700-800 rds through it. I bought it when it had 360 rds through.

Does it need to break in more?

Thank you

Re: Lazy bolt close = non seated rounds/jam

1. Are you using enough lube? I would make sure the thing is dripping right now.

How does it feel when you just cycle the action? Smooth? When you press the Bolt Hold Open does the bolt go forward like you would think it should or does it feel like it is hanging up?

What ammo are you using?

Don't confuse enthusiasm for competence

Want more grip for your M&P Pistol? Send me a message.

Quote Originally Posted by caribdreamin View Post
    My bolt closing is very inconsistent. Its sometimes closes crisply, but not crisp enough for me. I would say most of the time it closes lazily and slowly or half way, not seating the round. I've never seen a firearm that doesn't slam the bolt closed. The magazines don't matter, I used the same one, or different ones (Magpul, Lancer, C-Products) and sometimes I can load and fire, and other times, I get a double-feed. Twice I have jammed this so bad that a rod had to be used to get the 2 rounds out, and it looked ugly. Prior to this, I have never used a rod on any firearm.

I always have what look like metal splinters on the inside too. My other guns just have carbon residue. I don't know if its shaving off or hitting something it shouldn't be?

It has 700-800 rds through it. I bought it when it had 360 rds through.

Does it need to break in more?

Thank you
    The stuck casings sound like the typical tight/sticking chamber POSSIBLY. What are you running the gas setting at?

As for the bolt....sounds like it's hanging up somewhere. If there isn't anything obvious and cycling it by hand is smooth......take the lower off of the upper and place it upside down on a table. Now, grab the recoil spring by the latch and see if you can slide the op rod/bolt/carrier out of the upper without those 3 parts dragging in the receiver to the point where the recoil spring starts to pull itself out of the op rod.

If there's enough drag that the recoil spring/latch assembly is pulling out of the op rod before the bolt/carrier exit the upper receiver....it's possible that you have a warped op rod (welded wrong at the factory) and this is binding in the upper possibly contributing to the slow bolt closure....

What serial number is the rifle?

At 7-800 rounds, it should be broken in. Have you made sure the bbl is properly installed? Might also check the bolt hold open to make sure it's not up too high and possibly dragging on the carrier slowing down the bolt as it's being driven home.

I can't think of anything else right now to look for.

Sean
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

Wow. A couple things going on there. What does your BHO look like? Two pins perpendicular to each other or a wedge? Any signs of undue wear on it?

Have you inspected the recoil spring? How does the action move without a mag in?

Check the bolt. I've heard someone here got the wrong caliber bolt once. I don't think they're marked so you'll just have to check the fit of a round. Although small shavings are common (for me anyway), splinters sound bigger than they should be.

Also like Aziator asked, how well lubed is the rifle? The bolt able to cam freely in the carrier?
    Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Check your barrel screw and the ejector screws are all tightened down well. Disassemble, clean and look for spots of excessive wear on the barrel extension, bolt, carrier, upper and hammer.

It should be running otherwise smoothly by that point.

That guy, he said I should be oblong and have my knees removed. But I don't trust him, he plays the banjo.

Quote Originally Posted by Underground View Post
    Check your barrel screw and the ejector screws are all tightened down well. Disassemble, clean and look for spots of excessive wear on the barrel extension, bolt, carrier, upper and hammer.

It should be running otherwise smoothly by that point.
    Oh, and that reminds me....make sure the carrier isn't dragging on the ejector. You may have to loosen the two bolts and adjust it to make sure it's not hitting.

Sean
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

I'm betting on a crooked op rod foot.
    Resident Forum Slut

Sponsors