Benjamin Franklin - we could use a man like him again
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Benjamin Franklin - we could use a man like him again

  1. #1
    Super Moderator Underground's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Posts
    6,142

    Benjamin Franklin - we could use a man like him again

    The more bits and pieces I read from him the more I think he would have been a great guy to hang out with. He was exceptionally perceptive regarding the key issues of the day, innovative, a patriot, and apparently quite the charmer with the ladies.

    I've been reading through the Silence Dogood letters and thought I'd share a set of paragraphs that seem especially relevant to current issues. The more things change... as they say.

    Firstly, I know we've had the discussion here before regarding the value of higher education, and many made the observation (correctly so) that attending a college or university alone does not impart knowledge.

    [b]May 14, 1722 • Silence Dogood #4
    I fancy'd I was travelling over pleasant and delightful Fields and Meadows, and thro' many small Country Towns and Villages; and as I pass'd along, all Places resounded with the Fame of the Temple of Learning: Every Peasant, who had wherewithal, was preparing to send one of his Children at least to this famous Place; [b]and in this Case most of them consulted their own Purses instead of their Childrens Capacities: So that I observed, a great many, yea, the most part of those who were travelling thither, were little better than Dunces and Blockheads. Alas! alas!
    Secondly with the passing of the recent bill, and all the building encroachments on our rights this one seemed right in line with today's concerns.

    [b]July 9, 1722 • Silence Dogood #8
    Sir,
    I prefer the following Abstract from the London Journal to any Thing of my own, and therefore shall present it to your Readers this week without any further Preface.

    "Without Freedom of Thought, there can be no such Thing as Wisdom; and no such Thing as publick Liberty, without Freedom of Speech; which is the Right of every Man, as far as by it, he does not hurt or controul the Right of another: And this is the only Check it ought to suffer, and the only Bounds it ought to know."


    That guy, he said I should be oblong and have my knees removed. But I don't trust him, he plays the banjo.

  2. #2
    XCR Guru Sean K.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    21,481

    Re: Benjamin Franklin - we could use a man like him again

    I'm an admirer as well....though he did seem to blow with political winds a little too much for my taste. Don't get me wrong, he was an absolute genius....but (as a wise politician) he played the game more than I would have liked.

    It doesn't mean I would have opposed him in office, just stating an opinion on his strategy.

    Sean
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

  3. #3
    tk
    tk is offline
    XCR Guru tk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3,296

    Re: Benjamin Franklin - we could use a man like him again

    Yeah, I enjoy his writings, too.

    BTW, he was one of the great debauches of his age.

    He had an illegitimate child. He hung out with the the Brotherhood of St. Francis of Wycombe (which conducted orgies, rituals and "wenching"), and numerous bodies have been unearthed in the basement of his home in London.

    tk
    The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed -- where the government refuses to stand for re-election and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake free people get to make only once." Judge Alex Kozinski, 9th District

  4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    XCR Guru MickeyC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    6,499

    Re: Benjamin Franklin - we could use a man like him again

    an a slave owner.......Definately interested in human rights there. Although he did change his opinion towards the end of his life.
    Semper in excremento sum, solum profunditas mutat. 'Always in the shit, only the depth varies'

    The problem with socialism is that you eventually run out of other people's money.... Margaret Thatcher,

    Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest.
    Mahatma Gandhi

  6. #5
    Banned EricCartmann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    My mom's basement
    Posts
    8,010

    Re: Benjamin Franklin - we could use a man like him again

    Quote Originally Posted by tk View Post
    Yeah, I enjoy his writings, too.

    BTW, he was one of the great debauches of his age.

    He had an illegitimate child. He hung out with the the Brotherhood of St. Francis of Wycombe (which conducted orgies, rituals and "wenching"), and numerous bodies have been unearthed in the basement of his home in London.

    tk
    Interesting, he stored bodies like the way Jeffrey Dalmer?

  7. #6
    tk
    tk is offline
    XCR Guru tk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3,296

    Re: Benjamin Franklin - we could use a man like him again

    Quote Originally Posted by EricCartmann View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tk View Post
    Yeah, I enjoy his writings, too.

    BTW, he was one of the great debauches of his age.

    He had an illegitimate child. He hung out with the the Brotherhood of St. Francis of Wycombe (which conducted orgies, rituals and "wenching"), and numerous bodies have been unearthed in the basement of his home in London.

    tk
    Interesting, he stored bodies like the way Jeffrey Dalmer?
    Not really clear. The bodies were discovered about 20 years ago, if I recall correctly. They have been date to the years that Franklin lived there. They are thought to be the result of illegal medical experiments conducted by Franklin -- dissection and the like.

    tk
    The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed -- where the government refuses to stand for re-election and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake free people get to make only once." Judge Alex Kozinski, 9th District

  8. #7
    Super Moderator Underground's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Posts
    6,142

    Re: Benjamin Franklin - we could use a man like him again

    Quote Originally Posted by tk View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by EricCartmann View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tk View Post
    Yeah, I enjoy his writings, too.

    BTW, he was one of the great debauches of his age.

    He had an illegitimate child. He hung out with the the Brotherhood of St. Francis of Wycombe (which conducted orgies, rituals and "wenching"), and numerous bodies have been unearthed in the basement of his home in London.

    tk
    Interesting, he stored bodies like the way Jeffrey Dalmer?
    Not really clear. The bodies were discovered about 20 years ago, if I recall correctly. They have been date to the years that Franklin lived there. They are thought to be the result of illegal medical experiments conducted by Franklin -- dissection and the like.

    tk
    Caint have no lernin.

    He would have been an interesting guy to hang out with, that's for sure.



    That guy, he said I should be oblong and have my knees removed. But I don't trust him, he plays the banjo.

Sponsors

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Ben Franklin: Rules for Radicals.....
    By Sean K. in forum Politicking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-24-2011, 11:06 AM