Northern Virginia/Fairfax area
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By WatchoutforStobor
  • 1 Post By NoVA_Agent

Thread: Northern Virginia/Fairfax area

Northern Virginia/Fairfax area

So I might have a job opportunity in the Fairfax area of Virginia, anyone familiar with the area that could offer some pros/cons?

Keep in mind I'll be leaving the Southern California area so that's a MAJOR pro for me

Thanks
    For a man who'd trade his liberty for a safe and dreamless sleep, Doesn't deserve the both of them and neither shall he keep

IIRC you don't require a CCW to carry. Also isn't that area big with IT these days and growing?

"Be Vigilant and Safe!!"
    "Molon Labe!!"
    "It Is A Weak Man Who Urges Compromise!!"

Grew up there, moved out 4 years ago. It's very expensive. If you aren't making 100k plus you will end up living far from work and commuting. The county is as liberal as California or more so. The state has been able to cancel some of that out, carry permits are pretty easy to get. I got mine at the NRA range which has a really nice indoor range but it is expensive to use. Lots of traffic.

I've never been to California but I imagine a lot of things are similar.
    Merlin likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

I live near Fairfax. Ccw is required but open carry is legal in VA. I believe ccw is shall issue though. You won't see many people open carry in Fairfax. It's all suburbs. If the job is in Fairfax and you are willing to commute you could live in a quieter area. All of northern Virginia has bad traffic. I lived for 6 years in San Diego but other than perfect weather, there's no reason to go back. Any other questions and I'll try to answer.
    Merlin likes this.

I lived in Alexandria, VA for 9 years -- finished up my time on Active Duty in at Ft. Belvoir and the Pentagon and then started working in DC. Have also lived in CA for 3 years (albeit in the Bay Area), so I have a basis for comparison.

On the gun stuff, as NoVA Agent mentioned, VA is a shall-issue state. It's been a few years, but when I got my CHP (that's what it's called there), a DD-214 was sufficient proof of competency with a handgun, so I didn't need to take the otherwise-required class. (Clearly, the legislature hadn't seen some of the Army ranges I've been on . . .) VA is open carry as well, but for both concealed and open carry pay careful attention to off-limits locations, and under no circumstances cross into Communist-controlled territory (DC or MD) with your weapon in your possession.

As for how you'll like it, really depends. I loved the area when I was in my 30s and single. Not so much once I was married with two little ones -- our move to the Midwest was more about my sanity and finding a good place to raise family than anything else. Now that I'm used to having a bit of space, I'll never go back. Coming from SOCAL, the traffic won't shock you, but one thing you'll immediately notice is the general stress level is higher. (Every time we travel back to visit family in VA and MD, my blood pressure spikes when we cross the Appalachians.) Carefully consider commuting and what you do with your free time when looking for a place to live -- if you're an urbanite, by all means live inside the Beltway and you'll have a reverse commute. If you prefer more space and more reasonable real estate prices, look West. School districts vary widely in quality, so pay attention to that as well if you need to. Fairfax County itself is pretty good, but schools are big.

HTH. Anything else, post up and I'll try to answer as well.
    “Americans have the right and advantage of being armed – unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.” -- James Madison

Quote Originally Posted by wombat338 View Post
    I lived in Alexandria, VA for 9 years -- finished up my time on Active Duty in at Ft. Belvoir and the Pentagon and then started working in DC. Have also lived in CA for 3 years (albeit in the Bay Area), so I have a basis for comparison.

On the gun stuff, as NoVA Agent mentioned, VA is a shall-issue state. It's been a few years, but when I got my CHP (that's what it's called there), a DD-214 was sufficient proof of competency with a handgun, so I didn't need to take the otherwise-required class. (Clearly, the legislature hadn't seen some of the Army ranges I've been on . . .) VA is open carry as well, but for both concealed and open carry pay careful attention to off-limits locations, and under no circumstances cross into Communist-controlled territory (DC or MD) with your weapon in your possession.

As for how you'll like it, really depends. I loved the area when I was in my 30s and single. Not so much once I was married with two little ones -- our move to the Midwest was more about my sanity and finding a good place to raise family than anything else. Now that I'm used to having a bit of space, I'll never go back. Coming from SOCAL, the traffic won't shock you, but one thing you'll immediately notice is the general stress level is higher. (Every time we travel back to visit family in VA and MD, my blood pressure spikes when we cross the Appalachians.) Carefully consider commuting and what you do with your free time when looking for a place to live -- if you're an urbanite, by all means live inside the Beltway and you'll have a reverse commute. If you prefer more space and more reasonable real estate prices, look West. School districts vary widely in quality, so pay attention to that as well if you need to. Fairfax County itself is pretty good, but schools are big.

HTH. Anything else, post up and I'll try to answer as well.
    We also moved out with our kids in mind.

Wombat expressed exactly how it is when I visit family there.
    Last edited by WatchoutforStobor; 10-28-2014 at 01:11 PM.

CONS:

Horrendous traffic. Too close to DC where it is unlawful to protect yourself. Summers are hot, humid, and have bad air pollution. Population density too high. Be aware of demographics.

PROS:

Access to Chesapeake Bay (almost dead, but still good for boating). Access to Smithsonian and Civil War battle fields if you have kids.

good luck.

Thanks for all the input guys, looks like it probably won't work out though. A better situation is brewing that might allow me to live anywhere in the US I choose AND work with a good group of old friends and new ones, so needless to say I'm most excited about this.

Stay tuned for more!
    For a man who'd trade his liberty for a safe and dreamless sleep, Doesn't deserve the both of them and neither shall he keep

Congrats!

Sponsors