Phil's Photo Thread (NSFW) - Page 53
Like Tree50Likes
Page 53 of 63 FirstFirst ... 3435152535455 ... LastLast

Thread: Phil's Photo Thread (NSFW)

Several months ago I picked up a piece of rusty sheet metal to use as a textured surface in a tabletop studio setup. I finally got around to using it and these are some of the results:

Satco 1000W metal-halide lamp, February 2014

Timex Expedition wristwatch, February 2014

Dried rose on rusty metal, February 2014

Satco 1000W metal-halide lamp, February 2014
    Long before I started hemorrhaging money for guns, I was spending like crazy on photo gear....
    Click here to visit my photography web site.

"Faith is the great cop-out, the great excuse to evade the need to think and evaluate evidence. Faith is belief in spite of, even perhaps because of, the lack of evidence." - Richard Dawkins

As usual, superb!

Quote Originally Posted by mjorin View Post
    As usual, superb!
    Thank you!

It was foggy again last night, so I tried to get a few more pictures (have to take advantage of this weather while it lasts). I ended up getting a little less than four hours sleep and I’m rushing off to work, but I’ll try to post something later tonight.
    Long before I started hemorrhaging money for guns, I was spending like crazy on photo gear....

"Faith is the great cop-out, the great excuse to evade the need to think and evaluate evidence. Faith is belief in spite of, even perhaps because of, the lack of evidence." - Richard Dawkins

Maybe I shouldn’t have gone out last night. I’m so tired! I think it was worth it, though.

At one point, this very long freight train came to a stop with the locomotive nowhere near the platform. All I could hear was a second train that came through while this one was stopped. I thought it might be cool to get a shot from the other side and stared at the wheels and undercarriage of the cars, wondering if I could sneak underneath to the other side before the train moved. I decided that was a stupid idea and I was right—after a few minutes the cars just started moving with no notice of any kind. I thought maybe I would hear the connections binding up as the locomotive started to move, but that wasn’t the case. They just started moving and far too quickly for me to get out of the way if I had been underneath, especially with a tripod and camera.

Stationary freight train in Union Station, Ocala, February 2014

I’ve decided that shooting at night is much better when the sky is filled with fog or clouds. Without them to reflect the ground-based lights, the sky is just a black hole. With the relatively bright background, however, the shapes of the buildings and everything else are well defined without the distractions of other buildings in the background.

Union Station at night, Ocala, February 2014

Wow

Quote Originally Posted by PDBreske View Post
    Union Station at night, Ocala, February 2014

Superb shot, Phil. Just amazing.

Awesome! I love the backlit night shots with the fog.

You should find some old houses with a yard full of live oaks. I bet a shot like that, with the house lit up through the trees and fog would be great.

That guy, he said I should be oblong and have my knees removed. But I don't trust him, he plays the banjo.

On that shot of the station, did you use a wide angle lens? Been considering one for landscape shots.

Quote Originally Posted by Underground View Post
    Awesome! I love the backlit night shots with the fog.

You should find some old houses with a yard full of live oaks. I bet a shot like that, with the house lit up through the trees and fog would be great.
    On this night I did find a house as you described, but the light on the property was too dim to register a usable image, even with a 30-second exposure. I maybe could have boosted the ISO to something higher than what I was using, but the problem was simply a lack of photons. I remain ever vigilant for new locations....

Quote Originally Posted by Big Muddy View Post
    On that shot of the station, did you use a wide angle lens? Been considering one for landscape shots.
    I used a wide zoom at 24mm. My camera has a full frame sensor, so that same lens would not seem so wide on a camera with a cropped sensor. If your camera has an APS-C sensor, you should look at zooms or prime lenses starting around 15mm. This will give you a nice wide angle on that kind of camera. Some manufacturers also produce super-wide lenses designed specifically for APS-C cameras, but these are limited to use on only those cameras. If you eventually do buy a full frame camera, that lens will be useless as the size of the image at the focal plane will not completely cover a full frame sensor. (Of course, due to their small size and the fact that they are not usually made for high-end cameras, they aren’t nearly as expensive as many other lenses, so maybe the idea of owning one isn’t as painful as it could be.)

Don’t underestimate the usefulness of a normal or even telephoto lens for landscapes. The previous night’s train shots were all made with my 50mm lens and I think they are in many ways better than the newer images. A longer lens can help narrow the field of view to isolate subjects from unwanted background, not the least of which is very bright sky showing through a dark tree canopy. Those little points of over-exposed sky can be a distraction and the best way to avoid them is to stand further back with a long lens and thus reduce the angle at which the top of your frame is pointing up when it sees through the trees (if that makes sense).

I’m not trying to talk you out of a wide angle lens—they have their uses and when you need one, nothing else will do. Here’s a few shots of Ocala’s City Hall lobby during the installation of some of my framed prints for an exhibition starting this weekend. I used a 17-35 zoom and on this camera I can see an entire room if I stand in the corner (over 90 degrees of side-to-side view at 17mm).

24mm

17mm

17mm

The last few pics have been nice and all, but hardly NSFW! Lets get this thread back on track!
    Rob likes this.

Page 53 of 63 FirstFirst ... 3435152535455 ... LastLast

Sponsors