Tips on casting

Thread: Tips on casting

tk [OP]

Tips on casting

Let me get this place warmed up (so to speak)....

I want to give bullet casting a shot. When I was a teenager, and too young to legally own cartridge pistols, my buddies and I all owned cap & ball revolvers, and I used to cast balls for us. It was almost as much fun as shooting the pistols.

So 30 years later, I'm ready to try again. I'd like to start with 9 mm. Any recommendations on specific bullet molds or on specific mold makers? My round ball molds were from Lee, but are aluminum molds the best way to go? They're certainly the cheapest. I would think that I'd need at least a two-cavity mold to make a decent quantity. You thoughts?

tk
    The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed -- where the government refuses to stand for re-election and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake free people get to make only once." Judge Alex Kozinski, 9th District

Re: Tips on casting

You probably already know this, but I've been surprised before by the things folks will do. I haven't done any bullet casting, but I have done some casting of other things in lead.

Get a respirator that's rated for lead dust and fume protection. And always wash up good when you're done first thing. Lead poisoning is not something to mess around with.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
    That guy, he said I should be oblong and have my knees removed. But I don't trust him, he plays the banjo.

Probably the most active forum site is http://castboolits.gunloads.com/ . Tons of good info. I've never gotten into casting for many reasons, economics being one of them. You can still get good 9mm bullets for about $60 per K delivered. Just not worth casting them when they're available cheap.

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by charliea View Post
    Probably the most active forum site is http://castboolits.gunloads.com/ . Tons of good info.
    Yep, good website, that is the one I use. I just scored 2 5 gallon buckets of wheel weights today. I haven't actually tried casting yet, I am still making ingots. I went all out and bought the nice RCBS pot, I picked up the Aluminum Lee molds as well. I didn't get the tumble lube bullets, I prefer to size and lube in the same place. Everything that I read says they are good if you take care of them. They can really throw the bullets with 6 cavities. head over to castboolits and take a look around. As soon as I actually cast some bullets I will let you know.
    Don't confuse enthusiasm for competence

Want more grip for your M&P Pistol? Send me a message.

THANKS, charliea- good site!

tk [OP]

Guys,

thanks for the otes. I'll get a lee mold to start and check out castboolits.

Charliea,

where do you get cast bullets for $60 per thousand?

tk
    The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed -- where the government refuses to stand for re-election and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake free people get to make only once." Judge Alex Kozinski, 9th District

Stonewall Bullets has about the cheapest prices on the planet, when he has any stock. Good bullets, way less than $60. http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/i...c,23847.0.html . Missouri Bullet Company is good. Quality bullets, fast shipping, around $60. http://www.missouribullet.com/

tk [OP]

Wow, stonewall has great prices!

thanks for the tip

tk

THANKS, charliea----good prices

Sponsors