Hog Hunting

Thread: Hog Hunting

Hog Hunting

So like in several other states, in Georgia it is legal to kill wild hogs/pigs/boar year round with just about any type weapon you wish. I have never been game hunting before period but some guys from work are heading out to a WMA this weekend specifically to kill some hogs and I'm considering tagging along. My question is about which weapon to take with me. A Glock 21 will be on my hip, and either an XCR Micro (5.56) or SCAR 17S (308) slung on my shoulder. It just recently became legal to hunt with a suppressor in Georgia so I'm considering bringing that along as well. The short XCR would definitely be handier suppressed, but I would feel more confident with the 308. I may just go with the SCAR and leave the SDN-6 at home and ask my ears for forgiveness later...

My question boils down to:
    1) Is 5.56 (55 gn fmj) a reliable enough pig killer, out of a 7.5" barrel?
    2) Are there any unique factors to consider for when hunting suppressed?

Look forward to hearing some tips from guys with experience. Thanks in advance.

Depends on how big the hogs are, but for big ones....I'd personally want something a lot bigger than a 7.5" 5.56. You'll be very limited in distance you can humanely kill a pig with considering the velocity loss in that short of a bbl. Probably under 40-50 yards as the velocity drop is so much that fragmentation is not reliable past that distance.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

I don't care what you shoot them with--shot placement is the main factor. I've seen 1200 pound steers drop to a .22 behind the ear. I've had friends kill them with .357, .45 long colt and .45 Casull. I haven't shot any wild ones, but it seems to me that most guys try to use a larger caliber and a heavy bullet. Of course I've also had friends use a very long knife. Will you be using dogs? If so the chance to shoot up close will be good. 5.56 may not be the best choice, but it would probably work. I think the key is to drop them in their tracks and a spine shot or a head shot (which could be difficult on a pig) are the only way I see to drop them with a 5.56. I think this is why most use heavy, large caliber bullets--tracking a pig into brush could be difficult especially without dogs. Just my opinion.

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Sean K. View Post
    Depends on how big the hogs are, but for big ones....I'd personally want something a lot bigger than a 7.5" 5.56. You'll be very limited in distance you can humanely kill a pig with considering the velocity loss in that short of a bbl. Probably under 40-50 yards as the velocity drop is so much that fragmentation is not reliable past that distance.
    I agree. If you had a 16" barrel you could run those Rem Hog Hammers (62 gr) and do okay with correct shot placement. Be sure to take a IFAK and watch out for those cutters.

If you go to Texas, you can hunt them from a helo.

Bring enough gun! Take the 308. You want to be shooting the next pig, not reshooting the last one.

Good luck and bring us the post game analysis and photos.

.308 and the suppressor if that is legal. Bigger gun the better. Hogs are fast and sometimes don't know that the are supposed to be dead. Shot placement can be difficult if they are going to be on the run.
    Good luck and have fun. But be safe.

"Be Vigilant and Safe!!"
    "Molon Labe!!"
    "It Is A Weak Man Who Urges Compromise!!"

Sponsors