Looking for a new/bigger smoker...got a favorite?
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By mjorin

Thread: Looking for a new/bigger smoker...got a favorite?

Looking for a new/bigger smoker...got a favorite?

I have started looking for a bigger smoker and was hoping to get any feedback that might be had here about other brands I haven't used. I currently have a Lil Tex Traeger. I have had it for @ 8 years and really like it. I love being able to use pellets and the ability to set the temp and only have to babysit it a little bit on long smokes. I am considering just getting the next larger Traeger, but they are using much thinner metal these days and quality has gone downhill. I am considering the Rec Tec, Green Mountain, Larger Traeger, Yoder (prob not due to price). Does anyone have insight in to any of these, and/or any others I may be missing? I do want something that is electric in nature either pellet, wood chips, or combo of the two that has a computer controlled temp system.
    Looking for a new/bigger smoker...got a favorite?-20160508_104408-1-.jpg
    Riding, Shooting, or Golfing...you pick and I will be there.

Bump.

"Be Vigilant and Safe!!"
    "Molon Labe!!"
    "It Is A Weak Man Who Urges Compromise!!"

I would help, but my current smoker doesn't appear to be as big as yours in the picture.....

I am watching this thread though - if for no other reason than future ideas.

It's not because I've got "smoker envy" ;-)
    Do you really think we want laws to be observed? We want them broken. There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. When there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be crimes that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws. Who wants law-abiding citizens? Pass the kind of laws that can’t be observed, enforced, or objectively interpreted - and you create a nation of law-breakers.

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

The Traegers are made in China now. Coach Traeger sold the business and they went to hell. Coach Traeger is a good friend and a fantastic guy, its too bad the company is no longer his. I personally use a Big Green Egg and I love the thing. It uses chunk real charcoal instead of pellets. There is a little more maintenance but it is more versatile. The body is very thick ceramic, so it cooks like a dutch oven. I can load it with charcoal and set the vent to regulate the temp and let it cook for 14 hours and the temp does not vary. I bake in it, I can also stoke it up to 700-800 degrees and sear steaks. I've baked bread, cooked pizza and baked lava cakes. I've also smoked cheese on it and smoked casseroles.
    Merlin and Nomad like this.
    "Spes Mea in Deo Est"--My hope is in GOD
    The antidote for fifty enemies is one friend.--Aristotle

Yeah I looked at a bigger Traeger, but the lid on the larger one didn't weigh as much as my current smaller one. Pretty much ruled them out. I almost bought a knock off ceramic at Costco last weekend but the patio is already crowded.
    Riding, Shooting, or Golfing...you pick and I will be there.

Sponsors