canteen cup cooking - Page 2
Like Tree5Likes
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: canteen cup cooking

Tm? :d
    Do what you've always done, get what you've always got. ----- Have gun. Will travel.

Quote Originally Posted by Underground View Post
    We had gone through a number of different things over the years for food while caving. The (current) MRE's are good on the longer trips, especially wet ones. The pouch was tough enough to usually stay sealed in the pack, and the heater was nice since you could eat a little something warm then stick it up under your wetsuit for a few minutes. Very nice after being in the water all day. I've taken the crackers and peanut butter and just mashed it into the entree with some hot sauce.

In trying to go the lightweight route (this was years before all the current sports energy stuff came out) my friend decided he just wanted a quick sugar shot. So he carried tubes of cake icing on a couple of trips. That didn't last very long.

When the first MRE's came out, I really felt sorry for the guys that were having to eat that stuff. I tried a few, I still remember the ground beef patty. It reminded me of soundproofing wall board. Except that it probably tasted worse.
    I used to like the beef patty. Some of the others were absolutely disgusting.

Rehydrate the patty in the beef bullion, put it on those bricks they called crackers, put the cheese curds (spread) on there, a touch of salt... I can't say enjoy, but at least you weren't trying to gag down that turkey al a crap they had.

I always considered myself lucky if the dried fruit hadn't busted the seal and turned into a dark, grotesque mat of nasty.
    I'd throw the PB in my cargo pocket and hit it on a hump. The rocket fuel (instant coffee) was a open-pour in mouth-hit swig from the canteen. My stomach would never tolerate that crap now.
    Bravo likes this.
    "Don't Tread On Me!"
    -- (reiterated without permission) Rich Hornay

I read your first sentence, and thought "four fingers of death and turkey a-la puke".

The freeze-dried peaches though, those were great, just on their own.
    Even if "rehydrated" in the mouth, for at least a couple of seconds, with iodine tab water.
    Mechanic likes this.
    Do you really think we want laws to be observed? We want them broken. There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. When there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be crimes that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws. Who wants law-abiding citizens? Pass the kind of laws that can’t be observed, enforced, or objectively interpreted - and you create a nation of law-breakers.

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

Freeze dried pears are the cat's back. I really used to like Spicy Beef, whatever the hell that was? Hot chocolate, creamer, sugar and a little water mixed together as was mentioned earlier--but they forgot to mention it was called "Ranger Pudding".
    Mechanic likes this.
    "Spes Mea in Deo Est"--My hope is in GOD
    The antidote for fifty enemies is one friend.--Aristotle

I'd say at least 25% of the meals had failed fruit packs. Like Bravo, I would just break off a chunk and swig.
    And I completely forgot about the Vienna sausage pack. Most guys didn't like the beef patty, so I always had a standing trade offer. I'd swap pretty much any of the other meals for the patty, though it was virtually inedible unless re-hydrated.

Ranger pudding must of been an Army thing, as I don't recall that phrase. We did on occasion make field stew, a general hodge-podge of MRE content mixed and heated in a steel helmet. Funny, they literally told us not to do that when we got Kevlar. The steel pots had been heated so many times they were fully annealed and wouldn't stop a bee-bee.
    "Don't Tread On Me!"
    -- (reiterated without permission) Rich Hornay

Funny thing about that ranger pudding.....

Did you get ever make it when you weren't in the field?
    I can't say what made the difference, but as good as it tasted in the field, it was too sweet and kinda nasty "at home".

My standing trade was for those freeze dried peaches. Since I didn't care for the brownie like most guys, I could trade 2 or even sometimes 3 peaches for a brownie LOL!
    mjorin likes this.
    Do you really think we want laws to be observed? We want them broken. There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. When there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be crimes that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws. Who wants law-abiding citizens? Pass the kind of laws that can’t be observed, enforced, or objectively interpreted - and you create a nation of law-breakers.

It was all pointless without tabasco. I'm talking about the real bottle you humped yourself. Those little 4 shot ones where a tease. I hate coffee. But to this day I'll still use instant coffee as chewing Tabaco to stay awake.

Paul
    mjorin likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsors