canteen cup cooking
Like Tree5Likes
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: canteen cup cooking

canteen cup cooking

For all those that served, remember all the things you used to do to bring a little bit of sanity to the pouched meal? We're not talking "Ranger pudding", but an actual combining of ingredients that actually made something quite palatable.

My favorite was "Apple Pie". Requires MRE meal #13, Cheese Tortellini and is something you'd do back at the FOB or somewhere stable because you'll use the heater. After you heat the entree throw the applesauce in there while you're eating. Locate the spiced cider drink and crackers then crunch them up in the packet. Dump it all in the hot applesauce and mix it up. Delicious.
    When have any of our plans ever actually worked? We plan, we get there, all hell breaks loose.

Re: canteen cup cooking

There are actually quite a few meals that are very tasty if the right ingredients can be found. Chicken salsa with jalapeno cheese, tabasco, and wheat snackbread? MMMMMMMM-MM!!!

I like the coffee with sugar and cream with a hot chocolate packet thrown in.

My old flight (platoon to the non-AF speakers ) made up an actual list. It had inventories of what every meal included and then the "recipes" we came up with. I wish I would've kept it, it had some neat concoctions. Other than the apple pie the one that sticks out was my buddy Pat's "F--- it, I'm hungry" snack mix. It was just some odds and ends he had left in his day ruck; peanuts, creamer and some other stuff. One of the troops asked him how all that junk could taste any good and that was his answer. Instant classic.
    When have any of our plans ever actually worked? We plan, we get there, all hell breaks loose.

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

We had gone through a number of different things over the years for food while caving. The (current) MRE's are good on the longer trips, especially wet ones. The pouch was tough enough to usually stay sealed in the pack, and the heater was nice since you could eat a little something warm then stick it up under your wetsuit for a few minutes. Very nice after being in the water all day. I've taken the crackers and peanut butter and just mashed it into the entree with some hot sauce.

In trying to go the lightweight route (this was years before all the current sports energy stuff came out) my friend decided he just wanted a quick sugar shot. So he carried tubes of cake icing on a couple of trips. That didn't last very long.

When the first MRE's came out, I really felt sorry for the guys that were having to eat that stuff. I tried a few, I still remember the ground beef patty. It reminded me of soundproofing wall board. Except that it probably tasted worse.

That guy, he said I should be oblong and have my knees removed. But I don't trust him, he plays the banjo.

Me and two buddies were camping at Big Bend and one of them kept getting boned in the dessert department. Finally one meal he saw the dessert packet and went, "HAHA! Eff you guys! I got a...." He went to read what delicious dessert he finally scored but the package prevented the completion of the title and he ended up yelling out, "CHOCOLATE COVERED WHAT?!?!?!?"

Kinda off topic but in the same vein. During Operation Anaconda, we were issued LRP/Cold Weather rations. I guess some of them were supposed to be pretty good, but I never ate one of those. The worst one was Lasagna. It looked like a used air sick bag. It smelled like a spaghetti fart, and it tasted like that powder the put on Pringles to make them taste like pizza.
    See you on the bounce

I thought it was funny they had aviation specific ones that were actually labeled that they had "no bean component".

That guy, he said I should be oblong and have my knees removed. But I don't trust him, he plays the banjo.

Gas expands at high altitude. No need to make war messier than it has to be.
    See you on the bounce

Quote Originally Posted by Soap View Post
    Gas expands at high altitude. No need to make war messier than it has to be.
    lmao.....how courteous.
    Do what you've always done, get what you've always got. ----- Have gun. Will travel.

Is the USGI cup made from stainless steel still or aluminum? I see a lot of canteen cups made from aluminum now.

http://canteens.co‏
    Last edited by grahamhowe; 06-29-2015 at 04:07 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsors