Where are you guys getting your 5.45 kits?
Like Tree3Likes
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where are you guys getting your 5.45 kits?

Where are you guys getting your 5.45 kits?

I currently have a 5.56 XCR-L and I'm seeing these posts from 2014 of you guys having 5.45 kits that use 545 ar mags. Are these still around? I checked robinsons website and I'm not seeing them.

They were short lived. There were a couple versions. I don't have specifics but the first ones had an issue with the chamber. After an undetermined number of rounds in the thousands you'd get a failure that would blow out the mag. After that, there was a redesign of the chamber and they sold those for a bit. Shortly after that they pulled them off the site and said they needed to do some more testing. They kind of stopped talking about them after that.

I've got a 10.5 mini and a 16" standard that get shot regularly but not anything more than a couple of mags per range session. I've not had any issues with them. I've got a fes other barrels. One came direct from RA. The others were with rifles I found on GB. I don't have an easy way to tell which version is which. They did make bolts in Type 2. No idea on how many barrels/bolts they actually made.

Too bad too...I'd like to get one of these eventually. The 5.45x39 is a nasty little round. Too bad all the cheap 7N6 dried up after the importation ban. Thanks ATF.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Sean K. View Post
    Too bad too...I'd like to get one of these eventually. The 5.45x39 is a nasty little round. Too bad all the cheap 7N6 dried up after the importation ban. Thanks ATF.
    Well, if Putin hadn't invaded Ukraine with men dressed in green with no identifying patches...
    Fool-proofing serves only one purpose: identify bigger fools.

Quote Originally Posted by fmunk View Post
    Well, if Putin hadn't invaded Ukraine with men dressed in green with no identifying patches...
    sometimes your country has to be a little evil to make a good caliber

Quote Originally Posted by fmunk View Post
    I know the Obama administration cited that as sanctions against Russia...but did that apply to the 7N6? I thought that was an ATF ruling on it being armor piercing even though it was just steel core.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

Quote Originally Posted by Sean K. View Post
    I know the Obama administration cited that as sanctions against Russia...but did that apply to the 7N6? I thought that was an ATF ruling on it being armor piercing even though it was just steel core.
    As usual, you're right. I had the timeline mixed up. But, domestically manufactured green tip 5.56 is A-OK? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Maybe the DEA should investigate the rule makers for possible drug use/possession.
    Sean K. likes this.
    Fool-proofing serves only one purpose: identify bigger fools.

Yeah...crazy that M855 is fine but 7N6 isn't. Like you said...I'm blaming drug use on whoever makes up these idiotic 'rules', lol.

emailed them and they said they will not be bringing 545 kits back, that's a bummer. I think the caliber would complement the XCR well.
    *edit
    also besides a small handful of 545 ar-15s
    there really isn't any non ak 545 platforms
    Last edited by GlowingGoy; 09-17-2020 at 09:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GlowingGoy View Post
    emailed them and they said they will not be bringing 545 kits back, that's a bummer. I think the caliber would complement the XCR well.
    *edit
    also besides a small handful of 545 ar-15s
    there really isn't any non ak 545 platforms
    The tavor was supposed to have a conversion but it was right around the time the ban happened so it never materialized. I'm glad I got what I did. I ended up with a crap load of silver bear. With the current situation, the 5.45s are the ones getting shot at the range

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsors