XCR Forum banner

Introductions

1M views 814 replies 290 participants last post by  Sean K. 
#1 ·
This is a new forum so the best way to get the ball rolling is with introductions.

I bought my XCR 5.56mm only a few months ago but I love shooting it and since there is a lack of online forums dedicated to the rifle I decided to start one, so here we are.

Enjoy!

#31 ·
It's good to see Variablebinary and Tzoid here now. I forgot to add in my introduction that I'm either SigsRule or Consultant on the other forums. And it was these two gentlemen that convinced me to get into the world of military rifles. My only other experience with military rifles was carrying a M1 for four years in the Air Force - but now I have my XCR and just picked up a custom ordered DSA FAL at the gun show this weekend. I know, you all want pics - but my digital camera died and I haven't gotten around to replacing it yet. But when I do...

#35 ·
Hello everyone...

I guess I'm our newest member. I've been closely following the develpment of the XCR since long before it was commercially available. I've always thought that on paper, it was as close to the perfect carbine as anything that has ever been designed or constructed. It has, or has the potential to have, the pefect and complete feature set that modern technology has to offer. The total package, if you will.

Like many I had/have my reservations about the company. A friend of mine had a real tough time getting major issues with his M96 straightened out. So, I decided to wait on the XCR and not be an 'early adopter'.

Well, I guess it is still kind of early, but I haven't heard of a single major problem with any rifle that has yet shipped. They seem to have already made the initial refinements to the design.

I think I'm almost ready. I've already started ordering parts. There are just a few more questions I need to get answered, and then I think I will be ready to order.

So hopefully I will join you all soon as an XCR owner. :)

#37 ·
Thanks Lex for the "Heads UP"

Hello everyone ! Appreciate the time and effort it takes to "run" one of these forums......I am one of those"Mentally Challenged Children" of the 50'-60's era....we were expected to take on personal responsibility for our actions....in Grade school I was a Patrol Boy (Crosswalk Guard) guiding fellow class mates safely across one of the busiest streets in our city...........in High School I was on the School rifle Team all 3 years(Through thr ROTC program)...competing around the Northwest....our cars/pickups sat outside the school unlocked with rifles and shotguns in them so we could go hunting after school...GEEEE No one ever considered Stealing them much less using them on someone (Then again we did not know about miracle drugs like ritalin...just chewing gum,beer and cigarettes)
My father was a WW11 and Korean Vet.....I joined the 116th Armored Cav(Guard unit) in Nov 1966...no Viet Nam experience...except the training.............love the M1A(M14) befuddled by the M16/AR15...lusted after the M2 (Browning Machine gun)
I have been dealing with Alex Robinson(RobArms) since June of 1999,met him at the shotshow in 2000 talked with him many times on guns,bullets,politics,religion....recently spent all day with him at the Factory.........No one is perfect and we all can get on each others nerves eventually(Familiarity breeds contempt) No weapon system devised by man is perfect but this system comes close and if we give input as we use it it will become better....no one has spent more time,blood,sweat and effort in perfecting his system than Alex (Try calling some of the other factories and talking to the designer and mfg of their weapon system!)........I know that the XCR is an inanimate object but the more I use it the more I appreciate what we have at our fingertips....With Out the "Ford vs Chev bashing Attitude" on this forum we can help fine tune this weapon system....eventually it will be right there in the Love/lust category!
I own numerous XCR's and 2 M96 carbines with parts(And yes Alex has backup parts etc at the factory)
I am looking forward to the association with fellow XCR owner/operators on this forum...Kz

#39 ·
Hello everyone. Like many of you I have been a lifelong shooter & have many years experience with the AR Rifle platform. I just purchased my fist XCRL side folder this past week. I have a few items on order for it like a set or Troy sights and an EOTECH 553.

I live in the Pacific Northwest in a town called Lake Stevens, WA. I have been married to the love of my life for 14 years and have an 11 year old son. I work for a Pacific Northwest based Software Company that I am sure most of you have heard of.

I am also a student and member of the training cadre with DTI (Defense Training International). John Farnam is one of my mentors and he has taught me more about shooting than anyone. John is the one who first introduced me to and let me shoot his XCR. He has been a long time supporter of Alex Robinson and the XCR platform.

I figured it was about time I stepped up to the plate and purchased my own XCR. I am looking forward to teaching with this rifle. I hope to send a few hundred rounds down range as soon as I receive my sights.

I am thankful for this forum. I have a lot to learn about the XCR. It will be fun to see this community grow. I am looking forward to learning all I can about the XCR system and hopefully making a positive contribution.

Kind regards,
Mike (Grey)

#40 ·
Hey everyone.
I bought one of the first XCR's, had it for roughly a year now (can't remember when they first came out). I was looking for an alternative to the AR-15 and I had heard good things about Robinson's other .223.

I bought an extra barrel and chopped it to 11 inches earlier this year. I LOVE it as a shorty.

I hope this firearm grows in popularity and that Robinson continues to cater to us, as owners. I think it's a superior platform.

Looking forward to providing and receiving info on this forum.

#41 ·
The forum looks good. Thanks to all.

I don't have time to cruise the forums much. If you want an answer straight from the horse's mouth, please feel free to email me directly at zdf@robarm.com. I will respond within 2 to 3 days.

Feel free to post my replies here.

Sincerely,

Alex J. Robinson
Manager
Robinson Armament Co.

#46 ·
Thank you all. It's so hard to overcome the negative inertia of the AR-15. It's really funny, most people shooting today don't know anything else. They're lucky if they've shot an M-14 or FAL.

I am a little caught up and therefore cruising the web. I cannot always be here but do contact me at zdf@robarm.com. I promise to answer your questions.

Thanks again for creating the forum. I think the product gets lost on AR-15.com

Sincerely,

Alex

#47 ·
Hey, Brennan checking in a little late.

Arawn here (obviously) and on some other forums.
GillTX06 on ARF.com
BrennanKG on THR.

Like many of you, I've been eagerly following the XCR's development for quite some time. While I'm a fan of the AR15, my move from CA to TX has awakened my interest in suppressed shooting, which in turn has led my interest away from AR15s, especially DI versions. My delay in ordering an XCR has worked in my favor a bit, since my plans for it have evolved.

(Hey, I've got to find the positive in it, right?)

Thanks for putting this forum up and thanks to Robinson Arms for developing such an outstanding rifle!

B.

#48 ·
Hello All,
I am so glad there is now a forum dedicated to the XCR. I was tired of scrounging around ar15.com for info. Looking forward to being a regular here as time allows. I bought my XCR about three months ago and then promptly went on vacation, followed by a move to a new city, and now am full time at a new university. Needless to say, I have yet to shoot one round through my XCR. I'm throwing my ACOG TA31F on there and should be taking it down to the range for a break-in/zeroing session as soon as I am back into the grind and can get a Saturday freed up. If anyone has any tips, I am all ears. Just PM me or respond here.

Thanks a lot,
Looking forward to getting to know the community here!

#49 ·
I know from my other post i seem a little worried about my XCR .But really i hope they do hang around .I was in the market for a gas piston AR when i looked at a 556 and i didnt care for it at all .Just because it is made in Eourope ,dosent make it great ,i had a Belgian FN ,FAL that was the biggest pile of junk i ever owned.Ok the things i like about the XCR other than the buffer .it is very ergonomic ,i love the cocking lever , Love the speed that i can change a barrel in. Bolt release is a big plus , with Magpul furniture it rocks , it is what an FN in 223 should have been .And looking at all the plastic piles of junk out there right now ,i thought i would give it a try.

#50 ·
Hi everyone!

I just took delivery of my XCR last week and am hoping to get to the range this weekend.

I'm glad to see Alex and crew supporting this forum. I purchase a RRA rifle a while back in part do to the support from Steve in the RRA forum on ar15.com. Hopefully we will get the same type of support going here.

Anyway, nice to be here!

#51 ·
I ended up with an XCR because because I still can't see a good reason to blow combustion gases and gunk back into the tight tolerance area of a weapon. I grew up watching the news and seeing teh helicopters go down into rice paddies. No - I did not get drafted nor did I volunteer. But I did learn how politicians can take something that works and make it so it does not for a few bucks - I think everyone is aware that the original prototype of the M-16 had an operating rod - it was elimiante because it save $/gun and that was important.

I love the rifle! It just works well, feels great and points easily. So far I don't have anything to complain about but I've been looking. Now if we can just get teh cost of ammo down out of the stratosphere....

#52 ·
Why did I choose the XCR?

My rommate got a Sig 556. He's a total Sig (and Colt) nut. I wasn't crazy about the 556. The furniture didn't really appeal to me. I thought the bolt handle was on the wrong side and didn't like that it was reciprocating. Also, the top rail is just screwed on to the receiver like an afterthought. Finally, there was the small problem of no front iron sight. When he got it, Sig hadn't even made a sight available and there is no rail to add one.

The only redeeming quality of the 556 is the trigger. It's pretty sweet.

Well, the XCR had none of the same problems as the 556. I like the 556 trigger better, but I don't dislike the XCR trigger. The prices were pretty much identical, so the choice was clear.

After a lot of shooting and no problems of any kind, I'm pretty sure I made the right choice.

BTW - Phalanx, the Sig 556 isn't made in Europe because it's made by Sigarms. It's made in Exeter, NH. It's weird, but it's actually not the same company as the one in Europe. The 556 isn't an exact copy of the 55x rifles they make in Europe. In fact, after a lot of build-up, I think that a lot of people were disappointed in what Sigarms finally offered.

#53 ·
Mick: still two field modifications ,Fireing pin ,and gas system.Guys at the H&K forum all say the way the buffer is made ,it will become an issue. Been there done that.

#55 ·
Ranly,

Welcome to the XCR Forum. We would love to share your thoughts, and your photos when you get your camera fixed, or your scanner comes out of the closet.

I think you will find a wealth of information here on XCR's and accessories, and if the collective doesn't know about something, one of us will try find out for you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.