newbee from Las Vegas - Page 2
Like Tree7Likes
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: newbee from Las Vegas

Sig
    In the words of TC, who gives a shit where you're from?
    If assholes could fly, this place would be JFK international.

Sig
    Quote Originally Posted by EricCartmann View Post
    Yes I am in Vegas... however my work schedule is crazy travel now... and I got back into Bicycling (road and mtn)...
    Please don't be a dweeb and ride in a pack of 10 or more and take up the entire line proving to everyone that you have the same rights to the road as cars when road biking

Quote Originally Posted by Sig View Post
    Please don't be a dweeb and ride in a pack of 10 or more and take up the entire line proving to everyone that you have the same rights to the road as cars when road biking

Actually, on some roads, such as CA-Hwy (green), it is stated that the Bicycles, as well as the Hikers have the same rights to the roads as cars... again, don't get mad at me. I don't make the rules!

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

Sig
    Before biking became popular, I could do a century ride in decent time. When we road, we always treated people in cars with respect because they could kill us.

Living in the "wine country" part of the state, everyone from the county over comes over to my area to ride. Three riders by themselves will ride three abreast, taking up the whole lane on a country road. Stupid even if they have the same right to the road as a car.

Still remember the first time in clipless pedals. Came to a stop sign, didn't know how to get my feet out of the pedals, and to the ground I went. I still wonder if that ever happens to anyone 30 years later LOL

Off topic, apolgies.
    Last edited by Sig; 05-16-2015 at 02:49 PM.

Actually, on some roads, such as CA-Hwy (green), it is stated that the Bicycles, as well as the Hikers have the same rights to the roads as cars... again, don't get mad at me. I don't make the rules!
    You don't make the rules of the road, but you can enforce them! You Will Respect My Authoritah! - Video Clip | South Park Studios
    “Americans have the right and advantage of being armed – unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.” -- James Madison

and that is right... I am an expert in hand holding. Not only am I good at everything I do, but I also can teach it very well... and hold your hand during the whole time.
    BTW, there's a certain forum member who hasn't been getting much positive attention lately, who could probably use some hand-holding. Does Cartmann have time for TechMan?
    “Americans have the right and advantage of being armed – unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.” -- James Madison

Still remember the first time in clipless pedals. Came to a stop sign, didn't know how to get my feet out of the pedals, and to the ground I went. I still wonder if that ever happens to anyone 30 years later LOL
    Still does. Though modern clipless pedals are more user friendly and have adjustable tension.
    Fool-proofing serves only one purpose: identify bigger fools.

Before biking became popular, I could do a century ride in decent time. When we road, we always treated people in cars with respect because they could kill us.

Living in the "wine country" part of the state, everyone from the county over comes over to my area to ride. Three riders by themselves will ride three abreast, taking up the whole lane on a country road. Stupid even if they have the same right to the road as a car.

Off topic, apolgies.

Riding 3 abreast for an extended period of time is not only stupid, but is just plain inconsiderate... yes we all have the rights to the road, but we should be considerate and give as much room as possible for the the faster bicycles, motorcycles, and cars to pass.

As for Clipless Pedals... happens to all of us. I too remember my first pair, it was 1993 or so... I road clip-pedals since 1984 or so, and I remember going from a BMX bike to clipped-pedals took a little bit of training to get use to.

when I got out of the Army, I bought myself a Mtn Bike with Clipless. I was practicing all evening and I thought I had it down, however, after a ride of about 30 minutes or so, I arrived back home and stopped right in front of the porch, and I totally forgot that I was NOT riding clipped-pedals... I got so use to exiting from clipped-pedals a certain way.... and it's not always a good thing when instincts takes over, as my instinct thought I was in cliipped pedals.. so I took a little fall, however it turned nasty because I was next to some rose bushes with heavy thorns.

After about a year or riding clipless, twisting my ankles outward to exit the pedals is VERY Natural. I prefer Time ATACs for my clipless pedals as they are the easiest to enter, and they work great in mud.... for Road Bikes, I use Shimano Dura-Ace, and it's a great pedal, but a little difficult to get into (compared to Times).. however, on road bikes you do not really unclip that much.

Quote Originally Posted by wombat338 View Post
    BTW, there's a certain forum member who hasn't been getting much positive attention lately, who could probably use some hand-holding. Does Cartmann have time for TechMan?

sure... point me to the thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Twisted Jester View Post
    *SHAMELESS THREAD JACK* I'm looking for a job down in Vegas. I just graduated from the University of Utah with a BS in Electrical Engineering, math minor. Military (held a TS), and plenty of private work from data mining, construction, automotive, welding, etc... Trying to find a good work environment (thus, I am turning every stone). If you have any suggestions/leads/thoughts please let me know..... I now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.......

Congrats! BS in EE means you have much logic, more than about 99.9% of gun guys... trust me, I know, I have a BSEE myself.

What was your concentration in EE if I may ask?

If I were you, I would NOT go to Vegas. As a matter of fact, if you are in SLC, I think that to be a better high tech area than Vegas. The real Hardware Companies are in the Bay Area, and Seattle, Denver, Dallas, and Northern-Atlanta also with very good development companies. Though I myself have a BSEE, I never really did any hardcore hardware stuff, I have mostly dealt in Software and Networking for the past 17 years.

Unlike when I graduated during the High-Tech Boom, getting started out of school must be tough these days... my company is based in San Jose and in my group, we look for experience over degrees, as we need someone to step right in and do the work, and even experience guys with degrees takes about a year to learn the equipment so they can at least contribute a little.

We were looking for a BSEE right out of school to do some FPGA test work, but man did we get a lot of applicants! We ended up hiring an old retiree with a lot of experience (and no degree), and who was willing to work for a low salary. He had his mortgage paid off and he just wanted to go back to work... also it helped he already knew 2 guys in the group who could vouch for the guy.

Anyways.. good luck man! hope you get something... but yeah, I would go wherever there is work, and right now the best chance to get into a nice company is the SF Bay Area... with Dallas, Denver, Seattle, and Atlanta also being good job markets.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsors