Central Ohio Guy
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Sig
  • 1 Post By navalbeaver

Thread: Central Ohio Guy

Central Ohio Guy

Hey everyone,

I'm new to this forum and discovered it after researching more into the XCR. I'm very interested in purchasing a rifle but am unsure why this rifle has not taken off yet? I understand that there have been some customer service issues in the past but the couple times I've talked to RA (this month) I've had a good experience. The other piece of the puzzle seems to be availability. I'll have quite a few questions so please bare with me. From what I've read on here, it is easiest (and quickest) to order through one of the two dealers on here, is that correct? I believe it's navalbearer and a user named Kermit? I'm interested in buying a 5.56 or 5.45 in either the standard or mini with plans to SBR it in .300 BLK in the future but I have a couple more questions...

Is it possible to order/buy a Mini with a standard length barrel?
    Is it possible for a suppressor to fit under the handguard? (It doesn't look that way)
    What is the length difference of a Standard with 9.3" barrel and a Mini with same barrel?

Thank you in advance

-ED

Sig
    First, welcome!

Well, I only have 16" barrels, so I can't comment on most of the questions.

You're correct in your two dealers, oustanding personal service and if you need something, no quicker than RA and a better chance of better communication as far as what's going on.

I think you're correct in your assesment of Robinson Arms and their past history. I also think that if people had "hiccups" with the rifle in the past, they were quick to give up on it for various reasons.

On a whim some years ago picked up a used XCR on AR15.com, and fell in love with the platform. I have enough spare parts and have since picked up a few more leaving the AR platform.

Everyone who has come over to shoot and used my XCR really seems to like the ergonomics over what they have. Price point aint cheap though and I think most people are afraid to spend that kind of coin on a "unknown". No gun is perfect, but if you have problems and stick with it and figure it out, I don't think you'll find a more reliable rifle on the market.

I know I picked up a rifle from a forum member here that had nothing but problems with his rifle and sent it back to RA. When he got it back from RA he sold it. That gun has had over 2,000 rounds of very dirty cheap russian ammo with never being cleaned and has never had a failure in my possesion.
    Last edited by Sig; 11-17-2015 at 05:07 AM.
    scalton and Sean K. like this.
    If assholes could fly, this place would be JFK international.

Service has gotten more friendly lately but there is still usually a long wait with anything RA. The wait leads into the availability issue. RA is a small company and, from the sound of it, has their own issues with getting stuff from their suppliers in a timely manner. I'm not sure what the bottleneck is but it also sounds like they've got one barrel guy and anything besides 16" 556 barrels usually need to be built up. I've never known RA to have rifles on hand and I have no idea what the process is to fill an order. My last couple of orders had a 600+ range in the SNs and some of the SNs on the second order were lower than the previous. It's a weird animal. There's aprox 11000 XCRs out there. I'm assuming that includes the ones that don't stay in the country.

It's a great platform without a lot of exposure and, as you've mentioned, some of that exposure hasn't been great. Because it's proprietary, it can be a hard sell when you can get an AR with vastly more options and support.

You can custom order what ever length upper you want from RA. They'll build you a 16" gun with the standard, mini or micro upper.

The only suppressors that may fit in the upper are 22lr. No way a rifle can is going in there.

For the 300 standard vs micro barrels. The Micro uses the standard MICRO location and op rod. The 300 Standard is a slightly longer gas system and was done to facilitate being able to adjust the gas block through the vent hole on a STANDARD upper. Using a MICRO gas system on the STANDARD upper puts the dial in a spot you can't get to. Check out this thread. https://www.xcrforum.com/forum/33-oth...nversions.html. This thread breaks down what length will be adjustable with what upper. https://www.xcrforum.com/forum/33-oth...stability.html

Kermit is going to be faster. The only stuff I've got on hand are new 300blk rifle and pistol. It'll take months to get anything else. If you're interested in a used rifle I can help you out and save you several hundred. In my opinion the biggest thing you're losing with an older rifle is the lack of keymod upper. Differences in the old and new lowers have been discussed in a couple of other threads. If you do go the used route, make sure you know what you're getting. Some shops don't know what the hell an XCR is. I'd also make sure you've got the 5 postion gas and latest trigger. The rest is gravy for me.

I love my XCRs but it won't ever by my only rifle because of the time/difficulty in getting parts.

Welcome to the forum.
    mjorin likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for all the info guys.

I think I'll be getting a 5.56 to start out since they seem the most prevalent. I would like FDE and keymod. Still trying to decide between mini and standard. Not sure if I should wait to see what RA has at SHOT this January or just go ahead and pull the trigger on a current model. I don't know really what they could improve at this point besides shaving a little weight off.

I don't see much more weight coming off the platform after they went to Keymod, unless they get creative with a mill or use more expensive materials(Ti?).

There are some other options in the pipe line. The short stroke would be the biggest of these but that should just be a different block and piston head. The Long stroke isn't going away. RA likes the 300blk gas block and the ability to tuck it gives them some options on design.

If you don't mind a wait, I can order a rifle for you but I'd expect at least 3 months before you saw anything. Kermit may have one in stock but if he has to order one I would expect a similar wait. I'm usually a little cheaper than Kermit but there's a lot to be said for paying a little more to avoid the wait.

The news in the new website tab says they will be showing off new stuff in December at a gunshow in Arizona.

Quote Originally Posted by InVader View Post
    The news in the new website tab says they will be showing off new stuff in December at a gunshow in Arizona.
    I wish it was a 9mm subgun but I wouldn't bet on it.

Quote Originally Posted by InVader View Post
    Do you know what gun show?

SAR west in Phoenix. 4-6 Dec. According to their site. Pm coming shortly in reply to what you sent.

Sponsors