AR 7.62 x 39 Magazines
Like Tree2Likes
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AR 7.62 x 39 Magazines

Angry AR 7.62 x 39 Magazines

Man all the mags I have tried suck axx. I know there are fixes, I have tried them all with +- improvement. I have 7 ASC mags and 4 of them were fine from the get go. the problem seems to be in the upper part of the mag. Due to its straight nature the rounds are all over the place because of their taper. Please someone tell me they have found new mags that feed properly. I don't want a fix, I want a reliable mag from the get go. I have a 3000$ gun and I love it to death but it ain't worth a damn to me if it won't fire when I want it to.

Jay,
    Are you using 20 or 30 round mags? I've tried to ask on here if the 20 rounders "solve" the common problem that many others seem to have with 30 round magazines. No reply as of yet.

Have heard guys using stronger springs, cleaning up the welds inside the mag etc.

Do you know which "gen" of the mags you've got. I believe they're on the 3rd iteration now and those seem to be much improved. The 1st were spotty, 2nd slightly better etc. Not real sure how to tell but the 3rd gens I've got are all parkerized, and have a relief cut in the top, front of the mag.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja &uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjShsP4wffJAhWG2SYKHe1lAp4QjRwIB w&url=http%3A%2F%2Fjesticearms.com%2FMags%2FASC-7.62x39-AR15-30rd-Magazine%3Fsort%3Dp.price%26order%3DDESC%26limit%3 D25&psig=AFQjCNFjNzMg1eCS4JYBbKODdW1bs_3-lQ&ust=1451150190743938
    The pic in the middle of the second row has some detail.

The ones with the black "paint" are older gens and seem to have more issues. I've got some of each but haven't had an issue so far. I don't shoot my x39 much though and when I do, I don't usally put more than 20rds in.

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by navalbeaver View Post
    Have heard guys using stronger springs, cleaning up the welds inside the mag etc.

Do you know which "gen" of the mags you've got. I believe they're on the 3rd iteration now and those seem to be much improved. The 1st were spotty, 2nd slightly better etc. Not real sure how to tell but the 3rd gens I've got are all parkerized, and have a relief cut in the top, front of the mag.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja &uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjShsP4wffJAhWG2SYKHe1lAp4QjRwIB w&url=http%3A%2F%2Fjesticearms.com%2FMags%2FASC-7.62x39-AR15-30rd-Magazine%3Fsort%3Dp.price%26order%3DDESC%26limit%3 D25&psig=AFQjCNFjNzMg1eCS4JYBbKODdW1bs_3-lQ&ust=1451150190743938
    The pic in the middle of the second row has some detail.

The ones with the black "paint" are older gens and seem to have more issues. I've got some of each but haven't had an issue so far. I don't shoot my x39 much though and when I do, I don't usally put more than 20rds in.

I think with "suspect" mags....from anecdotal evidence, if you download to 20 rounds...they run 100%. But...what's the point of having a 30 round mag then? I think it simply boils down to the curvature of the round and the STANAG magwell don't play well together and that the extra, empty space may be what's needed to get the mag to function correctly.

I've been blessed to get 10 (or is it 20?) of the 30 round X39 mags that work....but if I were having problems, I think I'd download to 28, then 25, then round by round until I found the highest number than runs without issue. If I couldn't live with that number, and I still wanted to keep X39....I'd buy an AK, VZ or SIG that takes the proper kind of curved mag and sell my XCR kit to offset the cost of the other platform or use the money to buy spares for the XCR or, if I didn't already have a 5.56 kit for the XCR, I'd get that.
    Last edited by Sean K.; 12-25-2015 at 11:30 AM.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

c products has a fairly new mag that snaps together before it is welded. This ensure dimensional correctness, since there is very little extra wiggle room. They also use a new more powerful chrome silicone spring. I have bought a couple of these mags, but haven't used them yet. I've been told they are the cat's back. These are the mags produced by the current C products. Early C products stuff runs pretty good. Then it went to shit and they went bankrupt. The new company was bought by some immigrants from some eastern block country. I have a buddy who knows them pretty well (privately and professionally) and he says these guys know their stuff and are squared away. That's all I know. I'll try and get out and smoke through a couple of those new mags.
    Merlin and Bravo like this.
    "Spes Mea in Deo Est"--My hope is in GOD
    The antidote for fifty enemies is one friend.--Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by Sean K. View Post
    I think with "suspect" mags....from anecdotal evidence, if you download to 20 rounds...they run 100%. But...what's the point of having a 30 round mag then? I think it simply boils down to the curvature of the round and the STANAG magwell don't play well together and that the extra, empty space may be what's needed to get the mag to function correctly.

I've been blessed to get 10 (or is it 20?) of the 30 round X39 mags that work....but if I were having problems, I think I'd download to 28, then 25, then round by round until I found the highest number than runs without issue. If I couldn't live with that number, and I still wanted to keep X39....I'd buy an AK, VZ or SIG that takes the proper kind of curved mag and sell my XCR kit to offset the cost of the other platform or use the money to buy spares for the XCR or, if I didn't already have a 5.56 kit for the XCR, I'd get that.
    My problem occurs only on the last 3-4 rounds. When the tension is off the top bullet can shift towards the outside or point upwards and not get picked up. The rib on the side that keeps the bullets straight does not go all the way to the edge of the mag permitting the top bullet to shift out of line. I know the rib can not go all the way to the top for rigidity sake but maybe some metal can be welded in to extent the guide rib all the way up. Also the followers can tilt wich means that the bullet just does not get picked up.

[QUOTE=coxtr;237263]Jay,
    Are you using 20 or 30 round mags? I've tried to ask on here if the 20 rounders "solve" the common problem that many others seem to have with 30 round magazines. No reply as of yet.[/QUOTE

I have some 10 rd pistol mags and some 30/5 rifle mags. My problenms occur when the mag is almost empty. The guide rib does not go all the way to the top of the mag letting the top round shift out of line. Other times the followers tilt wich prevents the round from being picked up.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    My problem occurs only on the last 3-4 rounds. When the tension is off the top bullet can shift towards the outside or point upwards and not get picked up. The rib on the side that keeps the bullets straight does not go all the way to the edge of the mag permitting the top bullet to shift out of line. I know the rib can not go all the way to the top for rigidity sake but maybe some metal can be welded in to extent the guide rib all the way up. Also the followers can tilt wich means that the bullet just does not get picked up.
    Again....have you tried 28, 25, 20? The spring compresses differently with additional rounds...which means the coils "stack" differently which could affect the last 3-4 rounds. In your next post you said you have 10 round "pistol" mags....do those run 100% or do you have the same problem with the last 3-4 rounds?
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

Hey Jay, live with the 10 rounders, they work flawless. I wouldn't even be thinkin about drilling the rivit out.... never being able to own a firearm and 25 years in prison, is enough to discourage me. (For all my American friends scratching their heads... it's a Canadian thing.)
    "Up yours!" - Abraham Linclon

Quote Originally Posted by Rockworx View Post
    Hey Jay, live with the 10 rounders, they work flawless. I wouldn't even be thinkin about drilling the rivit out.... never being able to own a firearm and 25 years in prison, is enough to discourage me. (For all my American friends scratching their heads... it's a Canadian thing.)
    Oh it's not just you Canadians. You're not that special. I'm in California and also restricted to 10 rounds. I feel your pain.

IMO, not wise to be talking about circumventing the rules... especially online for ALL to see.
    Fool-proofing serves only one purpose: identify bigger fools.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsors