XCR Forum banner

New XCR-L Keymod owner living behind enemy lines Kalifornia.

16K views 40 replies 7 participants last post by  fmunk 
#1 ·
Hey there! New XCR owner here out of Southern Ca. After seeing these things over the years I noticed my local gun shop got only a couple new 556 Keymod XCR-Ls in tungsten gray in. Never seen them ever at any shops since they came out years ago so I jumped on it. Ive got enough ARs to last me several lifetimes, so figured ide get something different not a lot of people have.

Planning on getting a caliber conversion for fun since it's such an easy swap.

Once my stupid 10 day wait is up I can go get my rifle and start playing with it and learning about it. (8 more days :()

See ya around
-Josh

#3 ·
Ya ide love to move one day. Born and raised here. Maybe I'll hit the lotto. My entire family and wife's family all live local and the family business is here. Life is good for the most part, so it's hard to change your entire life just because stupid gun laws.

Speaking of Utah, just renewed my Utah ccw online ha.

#5 ·
Hey there! New XCR owner here out of Southern Ca...
Welcome. OC resident here too. Most people here in CA don't even know what the XCR is. If it's not in a video game, "what?" I've noticed that Turners have started advertising keymod -Ls. That's not where you got yours, I hope?

More than just stupid gun laws that's wrong with CA.
Oh c'mon, Sean. The earthquakes aren't that scary. ;)

#6 · (Edited)
Welcome. OC resident here too. Most people here in CA don't even know what the XCR is. If it's not in a video game, "what?" I've noticed that Turners have started advertising keymod -Ls. That's not where you got yours, I hope?

Oh c'mon, Sean. The earthquakes aren't that scary. ;)
Ha. Actually ya. I don't ever shop at turners (Orange location is full of idiots). But I bought a early mint Gen 1 IWI baby eagle via PPT from a guy on Calguns, and his choice gun shop to do the transfer was turners in Norwalk. Actually was the only decent turners I've ever stepped foot in with decent knowledgable staff. They only got 1 xcr at thier location and I was already there doing a dros so figured why not?

#7 · (Edited)
I'm not not terribly fond of Turners. Any location. The prices are ridiculous. Mark up 30%, then reduce by 5% and call it a sale. The panic buying spree is already happening. People who don't normally buy ARs or have never bought one are getting in on the action. I stopped by Rifle Gear (not a fan either) on the way home from work today just for the hell of it and they've sold out of all lowers. Idiots. They do nothing about their rights until threat of losing it all.

#8 · (Edited)
Luckily the "sale" price came out to $1900, online I've only found them between $2k - $2900 for the same model. Also didnt have to deal with waiting for shipping, finding someone to ship it Ca compliant, and added transfer fees. So no real loss other then doing the paper work through them which turned out to be pleasant considering all the hate they normally get.

I've dealt with my fair share of turd burglar employees at rifle gear as well that have really chapped my ass on several occasions.

Anyways we're all on the same team. Can't wait to bring it home. As Tom Petty said "the waiting is the hardest part"

#11 ·
Yah I remember seeing it listed for that much on their weekly deals circular. I think they only had one in stock in their entire network and was looking to move it. At that price, it's not too far off from other dealers. If you haven't gathered, Gramps96Kz (Kermit in Idaho) and Navalbeaver (Nate in FL) are both authorized dealers. When you are ready for caliber kits and spare parts, definitely hit those guys up.

I've done most of my FFL required business through OC Armory. Not the lowest rates, but they are a small family shop and treat customers with respect. For that, I am happy to give them business.

#12 · (Edited)
Ive actually already been in touch with navalbeaver about conversion kits. Once my 10 day wait is up and i get the rifle I can confirm all the specs for him so he can get me the right parts. I still gotta do my research and reading up on this rifle. Im still new to this entire platform.

First plans are to upgrade the muzzle device since the one thats on it is a bit ridiculous like its 50bmg styling. Optic/sights. I have a spare aimpoint pro that i don't use that may be decent. Then order a standard ambi mag release for out of state use. And lastly get a conversion kit for fun. Leaning torwards the x39 kit. I don't reload, so 300blk is kinda pointless. x39 ammo is still cheap and plentiful, 10 rounders shouldn't give me feeding grief since the rounds don't reach the curve of the magazine like all the issues I've read about using 30rnd AR 7.62x39 mags

#13 · (Edited)
I'd say go for the x39 if you want a conversion and stock up on ammo in case that November ballot passes (it probably will). Still can buy ammo then, but it will probably be more expensive and more difficult. 10 or 20 round mags shouldn't be a problem with x39. A good number of people have had trouble getting 30 rounders to feed reliably. Once the new law goes into effect and you register it as a AW, the standard and ambi mag release would be good to go in or out of state. If you don't intend to register, you'll have to go featureless—which can be tricky as you'll have to figure a way to pin the stock so that it isn't collapsable.

Don't expect AR accuracy. 100 yard groups tend to be bigger, but still within a paper plate. Ballpark 2 MOA is normal, I think? Some have gotten lucky and got AR-like accuracy. It's built like a tank, chucks brass with authority and doesn't mind being dirty. Other than that, there is really nothing out of the ordinary compared to other modern rifles.

#14 · (Edited)
Ya im familiar with all the laws of featureless and what's going on.. I've been on calguns since 07 (different user name) and now watching all the chaos unfold and confused people making duplicate threads daily freaking out about the new laws etc lol. I'll probably only register a couple rifles that I like to shoot. Keep the rest locked away and see where life ends up at. That way I can still enjoy them in the current configuration since I'm not much a fan of featureless. My AK had a grip wrap and I couldn't get used to it. Also my parents have a weekend house in AZ, so all my ammo purchases and usually many other things are done out there since I frequent drive out.

#16 ·
Ditto for me.
Last time I was in the PRK was for Younger Brother's wedding - and I wouldn't have gone for anything less.
I carried when I wasn't on base (the wedding was on the beach, on base), although I did 'mitigate my liabilities' and left the G17 at home favoring the old S&W 691 instead.
I figured that I didn't need the hassle of what might come from a standard-cap mag on the off-chance I was found out, and the fact the casings wouldn't be ejected automatically from the 681 might come into play as a benefit rather than a liability. But I was always concerned.
Do I have any reason to venture back into the PRK? Well, Younger Brother is on wife #2, and retiring from the Navy in the next year and some. I pray that his wife stays with him and vice versa, but if there's a #3, he can have that wedding in a 'much more free' state. So no, I have no desire or reason to venture back into the PRK.
At least not that I can see.
Maybe if you guys get invaded by a hostile foreign force. I'd feel compelled to assist in driving them off our soil, even as 'contaminated' as it is.

Reactions: Sean K.
#21 · (Edited)
It's a back door ban called the CA DOJ approved list of handguns, ones deemed safe for sale in CA by career politicians and lawyers who don't know jack about guns. Any manufacturer who wishes to sell in CA has to submit "paper" (the kind you write on and the kind the federal reserve prints) to the CA DOJ to apply for approval. The approval only lasts a certain number of years and the manufacturers have to re-up. Or, if the design of an approved model changes, the manufacturers have to re-apply for approval. Something along those lines.

Glock didn't bother submitting paper for the Gen 4 so it is not officially approved for sale in CA. Before single shot exemption loophole closed one could buy anything that is not on the list, at additional cost charged by the CA dealer. So there are a good number of guns, including the Gen 4s, that made it in. After loophole closed, anything not on the list and didn't make it in prior are legally and officially unobtainium.

Same with the entire M&P line (except for CA variant of the shield). S&W made some changes in the design and decided not to re-up... and because of another law that passed some years ago that could not be met (micro-stamping of primers by firing pin or some sort of nonsense like it).

The CA DOJ list has expirations for all currently approved handguns. Once those dates have come and gone without the manufacturer's re-filing, that particular model will fall off the list and would be banned for sale (as new or used from out of state, existing examples in-state can still be transferred via CA FFL dealer). The state collects a fee on all transfers... something like $35.

As you can see, all of these gun control measures have little to do with public safety. But, everything to do with:
1. taxation without just cause
2. job security for bureaucrats
3. a faux crusade for said bureaucrats to rally behind and get air time plus campaign contributions

#20 ·
So that link took me to the PRK DOJ website.
I thought about filing a report of a crime, but I figured that since I'm not a citizen of the PRK, they probably wouldn't investigate the report of Civil Rights violations by the PRK attorney general.
What's the upshot?
I did a search for Glock on their site, didn't find anything useful.

#22 ·
That's what I thought, good to know I guessed right.

But that kind of government disgusts me - not in the corruption specifically, but in the outrageously, blatantly, obvious nature of the corruption.

I'm the kinda guy that would get one - or the new Gen 5 G19 (grin) and carry that instead.
Screw the lot of them.
In the neck.
With a chainsaw.

#25 · (Edited)
K...spill. What's this about a Gen 5 19? And...if you have insider info....tell them to make a G30 "long frame" with a grip the size of the 19/23/32 size compacts. I can't identify ANY good reason the 30 and 36 have the chopped down grip since (WITH mags inserted) the 19 size compact is literally like a 1/4" longer (or the width of the mag's base plate) than the G30/36. I'd much rather have the extra 1/4" of length and gain a full grip than the shorter frame to aid in concealability. A 1/4" on the mag isn't that big of a difference to warrant the short grip.

Looked on Glock's website for the actual dimensions...the 30 is literally .19" shorter than the 19. The 36 is .23" shorter than the 19. Totally not worth it, IMO. Doesn't make sense from a manufacturing standpoint either....as G21 base plates would then interchange with the 30.

#31 ·
Yeah, I don't know how they're going to do the ambi slide lock.
You've got longer thumbs than I do I guess..... I don't have that problem with a stock slide lock.
My G37 came with an extended slide lock, my guess is that they were compensating for putting a wider slide on an G17 frame. That extension had to go - I was doing what you were talking about, accidentally locking the slide back or not allowing it to lock back on an empty mag.

And I get you on the 'mid-length' double-stack. That's not my bag, but I certainly understand the desire for one!
I'm thinking it'll be Gen 5 Glock duty-size 45ACP pistols on my list, but if not, there's always the 15 degree breachface Gen 2 pistols out there ;-)

Reactions: Sean K.
#36 · (Edited)
Not sure. I have zero experience with these and don't know anything about all the versions and changes. All I know is everything is "gen 3" for the most part. Manual kinda mentions different things and mentions the gen 1,2,3 variations of stuff. The owners manual calls this gas block a gen 3. It has 7 settings (0 - 7). Gunna try to make it out to barstow this weekend to break it in and test it.

#34 ·
Good eye Fmunk!
I missed that.

#37 ·
Yup!
Updated bolt carrier and regulator assembly.
I've got that regulator on my 300 BLK SBR and it's slick - I think you'll like it.
Not sure whether it'll really "buy" you anything over the 2nd gen in a 5.56 or not though, the 2nd gen has been outstanding in 5.56 for me.
Nice set-up!

#38 ·
You got the latest and greatest. I'm jealous.

Where abouts around Barstow do you go? I have friends in San Diego so when we do go shoot, it's usually out by Ocotillo. Quite a bit of a haul so it doesn't happen often. And it's way too hot out there in the summer.

Recently read about The Rancho Deliverance near Temecula. Out to almost 1k yards, $20 per day. Have not checked it out yet.

#39 · (Edited)
Ive been going to the same general area as the "calguns super secret zombie shoot" for the past 15+ years. That area or north side of Ft Irwin rd. All BLM land. Lots of sweet spots if you drive some trails on the backside of Calico. Found some old mining areas on top of a small mountain with smooth concrete slabs that are good for camping on, over looks the whole area with sunset view. Or north side of ft irwin off copper city road. Pretty much nobody in that entire area for miles and can set up targets as far as your guns can shoot.

And ya, i don't go much either anymore also. The only friend I currently have who shoots with me is a wedding photographer, so he gets booked for every weekend solid for 3+ month at a time. And my other friend who I shoot with just moved to northern ca. So now I'm a lone wolf. Its sketchy/boring going by yourself out there. If anything happens, theres not much cell reception either.

#41 · (Edited)
And ya, i don't go much either anymore also. The only friend I currently have who shoots with me is a wedding photographer, so he gets booked for every weekend solid for 3+ month at a time. And my other friend who I shoot with just moved to northern ca. So now I'm a lone wolf. Its sketchy/boring going by yourself out there. If anything happens, theres not much cell reception either.
Yah I know what you mean. When I was in Nevada there were plenty of places to shoot out in the desert. But, plenty of others had the same idea. And, man, there were some really stupid people out there. I think Calico is about the same haul from my place as Ocotillo, but always good to know more spots. The list seems to get smaller and smaller with time.

My Ocotillo spot is known to others. And, right where you pull off from the paved road (Great Southern Stage Coach Route) is a Border Patrol check point (the wall is just short drive away) and the agents were always cool about it.

#40 ·
I grew up In El Centro. We used to go up by Niland and run around the same area the Seals train at in their buggies. I'm glad I lived there when there wasn't stupid gun laws, like now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.