M96 Recon Owner & hobby Machinist checkin-in . . .
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Sean K.
  • 1 Post By BamaSteve

Thread: M96 Recon Owner & hobby Machinist checkin-in . . .

M96 Recon Owner & hobby Machinist checkin-in . . .

Greetings, guys.

I am a long time RA M96 Expeditionary and Recon rifle owner turned machining hobbyist now joining the group here.

Having no luck in getting my broken RECON rifle OP rod replaced (Favorite rifle to shoot, BTW), I have decided to turn my hobby-machining efforts into making a replacement for that part.
    I look forward to other M96 owners chiming-in and discussing your adventures and figuring out how we can help each other in getting our broken rifles squared-away and functional again.

Recently embarked upon an adventure in making a replacement OP Rod and am still in the throes-of-it.

Will keep you posted of my successes and failures until I get it right.

Best wishes and happy shooting!

Steve.

Welcome....though there aren't a lot of M96 owners here often, there are a few. Best of luck with it.
    Merlin likes this.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

Thanks Sean, for the heads-up.

If I can get my rifle functioning again and post of some success maybe others who have given up will get invigorated?

It really is a fun/pleasant rifle to shoot . . .

Best!

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

I am 1 of the diehards here although I don't take mine out as much as I used to. Welcome aboard.
    A M16 is a fancy city girl, sexy as hell, but a bit moody. It's all good as long as you take her to the clubs and get what she asks. If you cross the? line, its over.

An AK is a naughty girl, all in latex and with a whip begging you to be naughty. The nastier you are the happier she is. Its clear that she wont dump you, you'll have to do that on your own.
    The XCR is the perfect blend of both. Sexy as hell but willing to let you beat her and filthy her up and then beg for more.

Hi Diehard (SSBiggun).

Thanks for the welcome and glad to see at least one other person with an M96 here so far.

Been turning down 5/16" t304 SS rod to 0.308" diameter and after looking closely at the peening on the tail of the original Chrome Molly rod, I can see why it failed as it did.
    The cross-cut in the rod is 90* instead of a stronger rounded cut profile and the peening of the end of the rod inside the carrier causes enough of a gap to form over time that the cross-cut-slot fails and breaks-off the tail piece inside the carrier due to the force of the return spring.

I'll eventually get a new rod made and will post my findings after thorough testing.

Do you have the original Expeditionary Rifle with a 21" bbl or a RECON, or - both?

I have both . . .

Best.

M96 Recon Owner & hobby Machinist checkin-in . . .-my-m96.jpg
    A M16 is a fancy city girl, sexy as hell, but a bit moody. It's all good as long as you take her to the clubs and get what she asks. If you cross the? line, its over.

An AK is a naughty girl, all in latex and with a whip begging you to be naughty. The nastier you are the happier she is. Its clear that she wont dump you, you'll have to do that on your own.
    The XCR is the perfect blend of both. Sexy as hell but willing to let you beat her and filthy her up and then beg for more.

VERY noice, mate!

Early carbine set-up with an interesting under-folder and threaded bbl/hider and Stonerized rear-sight lightening cuts.

I guess I should move this discussion to the correct sub-forum about now - see you there . . .

Steve.

Finally spent enough time hovering over the lathe/mill/drill-press with some 5/16" diameter t304 SS rod and now have a functional rifle again.

We'll see how long it lasts. (It functions splendidly).

If anyone needs/wants me to make a replacement for them I am open for discussion but this is not an easy or cheap task.

Best!

SSBiggun likes this.

Right behind the eight ball, between the rock and the hard place.
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaSteve View Post
    Finally spent enough time hovering over the lathe/mill/drill-press with some 5/16" diameter t304 SS rod and now have a functional rifle again.

We'll see how long it lasts. (It functions splendidly).

If anyone needs/wants me to make a replacement for them I am open for discussion but this is not an easy or cheap task.

Best!

Welcome BammaSteve.

I like what your doing.
    No,,he's chaos, I'm mayhem,,,we're a duo act,,

always looking for M96 stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Whiskey three six View Post
    Welcome BammaSteve.

I like what your doing.

Thank you Sir.

Sponsors