XCR Forum banner

New member looking for advice

3K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  navalbeaver 
#1 ·
Hello...new member from Canada. Really interested in getting a Xcr-M .308....Cabelas has one with 18.5 HB, is this the newest version? Is 18.5 HB barrel standard? Any advice from owners of this one would be great. It's going for over 3 grand so I'm trying to do a lot of research before I dive in. I want to use it for small and big game hunting and I want the tactical look and we really don't have much options in canada. Thanks

#2 ·
#4 ·
Check the first vent hole in the upper. If there's a gap visible, it's an old model. Also look on the barrel markings for an "M". That indicates the Match chamber.

You can probably find one with no gap without the match chamber. A new gun with the match chamber, to my knowledge, is up to date.

#8 ·
. Why don't you recommend a heavy barrel?
Mainly b/c it doesn't really offer anything over the light. It's not really any more accurate....except it takes a little longer to heat up and the groups to open up, but generally, it's not worth the added weight unless you only plan to shoot it at the range off of a rest.

Best of both worlds (though still heavier) would be an HBar that you send out to ADCO or similar to be fluted....

Not sure that's an option in Canada though.....though I'd guess someone up there does comparable work.

#7 ·
I personally would opt for the light barrel. I also really like the fast stock, but some don't. Be aware there are a few versions of the fast stock. Recently, Robinson turned out one with a longer LOP.

#10 ·
Ok another question, I'm looking for a general purpose hunting rifle. I see the M comes in
.308 and .260....what would owners recommend. Is the bigger caliber worth the extra recoil kick? I do my own reloading.

Also is the stock brake good, any recommendations for a better one to keep it accurate and less recoil?

#11 · (Edited)
Since you roll your own....it probably doesn't matter. I like to be able to buy cheap mil-surp ammo....so I would go .308/NATO first, but that's just me. If I wanted accuracy, I'd much more likely do the 6.5 Creedmoor, but .260 would be viable as well due to the ballistic coefficient of 6.5 bullets. You can always buy new bbls later.

The factory brake is adequate.....I don't care for the looks but it functions as intended. Personally, I like VG6 Gamma's brakes. GAMMA 762 | VG6 Precision

Or, if you want .30 cal in a smaller (less effective) package: GAMMA 300BLK | VG6 Precision

Reactions: Merlin
#12 ·
The RAGE brake from UM tactical is hard to beat. It's absolutely tunable for the rifle and the shooter. I've seen kids shoot this and the rifle doesn't hardly move. Really great product.

I really like the .308, so versatile. Don't know a lot about the .260. The 6.5 Creedmore is very effective and less expensive to shoot. Since most shots on big game occur at 300 yards or less, .308 should be great.

Reactions: Merlin
#14 ·
I chose to go .260 over 6.5 creedmoor but I'm still waiting on a barrel. It's not quite vaporware, but it's not easy to find and there is plenty of 6.5 out there now, unlike just a couple years ago. Making 260 brass from 308 is super easy. As far as muzzle brakes, I got a matador arms stinger in 30 cal for M 308 and L 7.62x39, for hunting purposes - I like the sound forwarder, but it does add extra weight on the end of the barrel.

The factory brake is effective and doesn't need changing, unless you have a purpose.

#16 ·
More velocity and length/weight with the 20. If you're not lugging it around I'd say the 20 wouldn't hurt. If you're shooting past several hundred yards, you may airfare the extra velocity.

If you're lugging it and shooting inside 4-500, I'd say stick with the shorter barrel. YMMV.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.