Navy SEAL's take on the XCR. Looking for more info. - Page 3
Like Tree31Likes
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Navy SEAL's take on the XCR. Looking for more info.

My SBR length bbls need to be on setting 3 with steel cased....2 with brass cased ammo, but I don't clean 'em either and they have thousands down the pipe without oil so I'm sure that's part of it.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

Quote Originally Posted by Sean K. View Post
    My SBR length bbls need to be on setting 3 with steel cased....2 with brass cased ammo, but I don't clean 'em either and they have thousands down the pipe without oil so I'm sure that's part of it.

Pictures!!!!! Cause other wise I just don't believe you!!

Quote Originally Posted by fmunk View Post
    Cliff notes version:
    - Built like a tank
    - Actual caliber exchange capability (wait time between ordering and receive can be long with vague ETAs, same goes for parts)
    - Don't expect MOA accuracy (the barrel is retained by just one bolt)
    - Expect service rifle accuracy (though some have gotten lucky, but I'd say most are seeing 1.5 to 3 MOA)
    - If you want one, and parts, get it through the two authorized dealers here on the forum: Kermit (Gramps96Kz) and Nate (navalbeaver)
    - Do not deal with RA directly, or you're likely to get sore
    Excellent summary. Took me weeks of reading and an actual purchase to figure this out. No regrets.

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

When you have the gas set your usual 2 or 3, is that with successfully reducing the distance that the spent brass is flung from the gun?

Because this is a small company I would also buy small replacement parts as well when it comes time to due PM's ie firing pins, springs (the hammer spring is the AR-15 hammer spring as per Kermit). In the past, the firing was a problem/issue with the older style of bolt carrier. There is a company that makes a aftermarket firing pin in SS and titanium. I have zero experience with this product.
    https://www.firingpins.com/xcr-l-rob...ium-firing-pin

This will not work with the newer BCG.

Quote Originally Posted by jbsmwd View Post
    Pictures!!!!! Cause other wise I just don't believe you!!
    Pics of what? How dirty they are?
    Mechanic and Nomad like this.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

Quote Originally Posted by GAT-273 View Post
    When you have the gas set your usual 2 or 3, is that with successfully reducing the distance that the spent brass is flung from the gun?
    Ya, the lower number generally throws the spent case a shorter distance.

My -M is .308 with a custom Brux heavy/fluted 18" barrel. If I ever get a decent weather Sunday, I'll have to do some precision testing. It's pretty heavy with suppressor and scope and being old and fat, I certainly wouldn't want to hump it. Field work is for all you young studs!

I will say, of all semis I've used so far, I have the most confidence in my XCRs.
    If you want M-Lok, I would recommend getting an older quad-rail upper and have it milled. The T-Nuts will likely interfere with barrel removal, so be prepared to remove attachments before pulling the barrel.

I've been toying with the idea of altering the deflector to give the ejected casing a bit of downward travel. With the right shape, one should be able to deposit brass about four feet off. I'm sure I'll get to that in all of my spare time .

Personally, I'm pretty fond of the ELF 3-Gun flat-faced trigger. Unfortunately, there are no existing drop-ins for the XCR that I am aware of. Another ambition of mine is to adapt one of the ELFs to the XCR, though not a simple task.

Bottom line - you won't be disappointed with the XCR (L or M).
    Merlin likes this.
    "Don't Tread On Me!"
    -- (reiterated without permission) Rich Hornay

Quote Originally Posted by Mechanic View Post
    My -M is .308 with a custom Brux heavy/fluted 18" barrel. If I ever get a decent weather Sunday, I'll have to do some precision testing. It's pretty heavy with suppressor and scope and being old and fat, I certainly wouldn't want to hump it. Field work is for all you young studs!

I will say, of all semis I've used so far, I have the most confidence in my XCRs.
    If you want M-Lok, I would recommend getting an older quad-rail upper and have it milled. The T-Nuts will likely interfere with barrel removal, so be prepared to remove attachments before pulling the barrel.

I've been toying with the idea of altering the deflector to give the ejected casing a bit of downward travel. With the right shape, one should be able to deposit brass about four feet off. I'm sure I'll get to that in all of my spare time .

Personally, I'm pretty fond of the ELF 3-Gun flat-faced trigger. Unfortunately, there are no existing drop-ins for the XCR that I am aware of. Another ambition of mine is to adapt one of the ELFs to the XCR, though not a simple task.

Bottom line - you won't be disappointed with the XCR (L or M).
    I looked over the enhanced trigger the other day for the XCR. The concept is alot more like an AK than an AR. I wonder if one couldn't just weld material here and there to the interfaces (like I do on my AKs) and get the overall travel, take up, overtravel and reset distances shortened up. If they didn't cost so much, I'd probably just start tinkering. I have a feeling adding material and custom fitting may be the easiest way to get a crazy good trigger on the XCR.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean K. View Post
    I looked over the enhanced trigger the other day for the XCR. The concept is alot more like an AK than an AR. I wonder if one couldn't just weld material here and there to the interfaces (like I do on my AKs) and get the overall travel, take up, overtravel and reset distances shortened up. If they didn't cost so much, I'd probably just start tinkering. I have a feeling adding material and custom fitting may be the easiest way to get a crazy good trigger on the XCR.
    The pins, and therefore the pivots, are the same for the AR and XCR. It's just a matter of getting the shape of the hammer correct. The pin diameters are different, but that's easy enough to deal with. The hammer on the ELF has a sharp ledge on it that I suspect was catching the BC, but because it was the skeleton version, there wasn't much shaping I could do.

One could probably adapt a non-contained type replacement (ala Giselle) much easier than an ELF, but one of the key features of the ELF that appeals to me is the roller bearings.

I've already milled my lower to accommodate the ELF, including the safety. Being as I was just experimenting with the ELF, I didn't want to press out the bearing to remove the hammer. Maybe this winter I will revisit it.

**EDIT: Never mind. I went and looked at a picture of the ELF and remember more of the issues now. The sear/dis-connector don't allow for enough hammer travel for the BC to pass. Definitely requires some re-design.
    Last edited by Mechanic; 11-19-2017 at 06:56 PM.
    "Don't Tread On Me!"
    -- (reiterated without permission) Rich Hornay

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsors