New to forum, looking for perspective
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By navalbeaver
  • 1 Post By mjorin

Thread: New to forum, looking for perspective

New to forum, looking for perspective

Hey everyone,

I joined this forum because I've been on the fence about an XCR purchase for some time now, and I'd like to get some tailored feedback from current owners.
    Given this is an introduction; a little about myself. I will leave it to your imagination as to what I do for a living, but I have a respectable, but by no means expert amount of firearms training. I've had a rifle by my side in just about any environment you could find, and it heavily factors into my decision making. I spent some time behind a number noteworthy systems including the M27 IAR, Knights M110 SASS, M40A6, and even the new HK CSASS based of the MR762. If I was a "well off" individual I would own most of these weapons myself, but I am not... so I find myself seeking the ever illusive rifle that "does it all". The XCR, at least in concept, is the closest I've found. Hopefully some of you can give me some up to date info about how it is in practice.

I was looking to save up the funds for a XCR-M in .308 w/ a 18.6 heavy, but given the similar ballistics performance and price per round, I am now seriously considering the XCR-L in 6.5x39 w/ 18.6 heavy, as the XCR-L is a few hundred cheaper, and the savings could go toward a 7.62 barrel, allowing me the flexibility to use 7.62x39 when working within 200 meters. I still have some concerns though...

First, accuracy, first round impact at 700 meters is a standard I'd like to maintain. The 6.5 ballistics can do it, but does the rifle keep up? The limited info I'm seeing has the XCR at 2-3 MOA. What kind of numbers are being seen with the 6.5? In addition to high grade ammo, are there any measures to get this rifle down to the 1 MOA neighborhood as advertised?

Second, reliability, I know RA had a lot of growing pains; As a red blooded capitalist, I can forgive that. I just need to know that they worked out the issues with steel/ low end ammo, and that a mag of cheap 6.5 wolf isn't going to jam if there is an intruder in my home, or a paper at 50 meters.

Thanks in advance!

There's not a lot examples of the the Grendel out there. gr8santini has a new(?) one but hasn't posted up any accuracy results with it. I'm guessing if you've been watching the forum, your 2-3 reference is from what I posted in the 6.5 thread.

I'm a hobbyist (RIP EC), I've got way more guns than I need, so I don't devote all of my time to my M or L to figure out exactly what they like. From the factory and their shooters (keep in mind the source) it would seem the platform is capable of excellent accuracy. Hand loaders have had some great results as well. I've posted about my experiences on the forum several times. I'm just some dude that likes guns with no worthwhile formal training. Take it FWIW. My experience with accuracy has been spotty. I'd wager that any of my similarly equipped ARs are going to be more accurate than my XCRs. Most, if not all of my ARs are capable of sub MOA with the right ammo and if I do my part. I'd say my XCRs are 1-1.5. I've had some instances of hole in hole but when I've shot more than a few rounds the groups start to open up. My most consistent XCR is an 18" 5.56 that hovers right around 1 MOA, but it's consistent. I've had some other barrels shoot well for a few rounds but will throw 1 or 2 in a 5 round string. My experience with the accuracy and the deflated gun market have kept me from trying the M in 6.5. I don't want to gamble the money on a barrel that may just be OK.

I've been limited to 140yds max for all of my shooting. I'm hoping mid to late this year I'll be able to regularly get to 500yds but time/work will be the deciding factor for that. If I can get out further, I'll post up what I find.

RA is putting out a much more consistent product now. QC seems to be much better and the fit and finish on the rifles is way ahead of where they were when they started. I'd chalk up any issues with reliability to crappy mags (5.45 in general and older 762x39) and me messing with the gas system. I've only shot a bit of the 100gr wolf but it's been good so far. Using a mix of e-lander and ASC/cprod mags.

I love the platform, own several examples and will continue to do so.
    Merlin and TexasChris like this.

Not a clue on the Grendel. The XCR-L is the tits! I love this platform, but can only speak of 5.56, 7.62x39 and 300 blk. Uber reliable, awesome ergos, quick barrel changes and almost all metal and as light as the plastic queens.

Damn nice trigger. Robust extraction. Gas adjustment and clean running. I can find nothing that runs as well or is as durable.

Less enthusiastic about the M. It might need some more development. I just haven't spent enough time behind it. Nate is right, 1-1.5 inch accuracy. I do have a 7.62x39 that shoots sub inch with ever regularity.
    Merlin likes this.
    "Spes Mea in Deo Est"--My hope is in GOD
    The antidote for fifty enemies is one friend.--Aristotle

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by mjorin View Post
    Not a clue on the Grendel. The XCR-L is the tits! I love this platform, but can only speak of 5.56, 7.62x39 and 300 blk. Uber reliable, awesome ergos, quick barrel changes and almost all metal and as light as the plastic queens.

Damn nice trigger. Robust extraction. Gas adjustment and clean running. I can find nothing that runs as well or is as durable.

Less enthusiastic about the M. It might need some more development. I just haven't spent enough time behind it. Nate is right, 1-1.5 inch accuracy. I do have a 7.62x39 that shoots sub inch with ever regularity.
    I have 5 XCR-Ls now and 1 -M....I too wasn't that wild about the -M until I very recently started shooting it (it sat in the safe for quite a while). The L is my favorite rifle, bar none....I own plenty of high end ARs and well as quite a few AKs.....the -M is quickly growing on me. In fact, I'm working with Nate to buy a 12" bbl version of the -M now.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

Quote Originally Posted by Sean K. View Post
    I have 5 XCR-Ls now and 1 -M....I too wasn't that wild about the -M until I very recently started shooting it (it sat in the safe for quite a while). The L is my favorite rifle, bar none....I own plenty of high end ARs and well as quite a few AKs.....the -M is quickly growing on me. In fact, I'm working with Nate to buy a 12" bbl version of the -M now.
    Quick thread side track....do you have the Type 3 or Type 2 on the -M?

Quote Originally Posted by jbsmwd View Post
    (For Sean) type 2

Quote Originally Posted by jbsmwd View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by navalbeaver View Post
    (For Sean) type 2
    Yep.....like Nate said, Type 2 on my 1st M. The 2nd one will likely be Type 3.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

Sponsors