New member looking for expert information - Page 2
Like Tree12Likes
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New member looking for expert information

I have 7.5” 5.56 and 300 Blackout bbls. No problems with reliability other than with my 5.56 bbl, if the outside temp gets down to 50 degrees Fahrenheit I have to open the gas 1 setting. If it gets below 40 degrees, another click more gas is needed. No big deal, and I suppose it could vary depending upon the gunpowder and load being used. With the Blackout bbl it’s set it and forget it. I set mine so it JUST functions properly. My various caliber 16” bbls are set it and forget it.

i prefer my gas blocks to be outside the hand guard. Your tastes may differ.
    Last edited by Whole Bunches; 07-14-2020 at 10:22 AM.

Would someone please explain to me about the gas blocks or provide a link to a website somewhere that does? On their configurator, Robinson shows "L GB2" and "L GB3" for the standard exposed gas block XCR. They show "L GB3 Micro" for the Micro XCR. Then there's this one linked below for sale that doesn't even seem to be configurable on Robinson's website. How can that be?
    https://www.gunbroker.com/item/872283694

The difference between an exposed gas block and one that's not is obvious. But what are these other differences?

The linked picture is a type 2. Similar to the original M setup. It's a tappet/short stroke setup with specific oprod and gas tube. It will not fit under the handguar.

Type 3 is arguably the standard now and is probably the best option. Long stroke, works with legacy op rods with the appropriate gas tube. It will fit under the handguard. Also available on the M but was added well after the M's introduction.
    Sean K. likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the explanation. I have a couple of more questions. Why is the key mod upper $100 more than the m-loc upper? I'm honestly not really familiar with either. How long does Robinson typically take to build a rifle?

Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    Thanks for the explanation. I have a couple of more questions. Why is the key mod upper $100 more than the m-loc upper? I'm honestly not really familiar with either. How long does Robinson typically take to build a rifle?
    The keymod should be the cheaper option. Not sure if it's a machining time or just the popularity tax but Mlok has been more expensive since they started offering them.

I usually get quoted 6-8 weeks for complete rifles. The last two I ordered were closer to 4 but I'd say that's the exception, not the rule. With the covid craze, I'm guessing it'll be closer to 8 with a good possibility of it being more. That's a complete guess though.

Those times are certainly reasonable. More important than the time quoted is that they can actually deliver in that amount of time. Based on your experience, it seems that they can, so I'll move forward.

What 7.62x39 twist is better for the 9.5" barrel? My Swiss Arms 553R and Arsenal SLR-107CR both have 1/9.44" twists, but their barrels are 11.9" and 12.5" respectively. I want to be sure I get enough twist, but don't want to over do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    What 7.62x39 twist is better for the 9.5" barrel? My Swiss Arms 553R and Arsenal SLR-107CR both have 1/9.44" twists, but their barrels are 11.9" and 12.5" respectively. I want to be sure I get enough twist, but don't want to over do it.
    You don't have a choice. Pretty sure they're all 1:10s from RA....even though the configurator is showing them as 1:7. Just checked my 16" x39 to be sure...it's 1/10. Pretty positive my 9" is also a 1:10.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

I placed an order today for an Olive Drab Mini SBR in 7.62x39 with a 9.5" barrel and M-Lok rails. They're supposed to call me for payment information.

Did you order a mini length upper with the exposed block or a standard length upper with the buried block?
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsors