• 2 Post By Sean K.
  • 3 Post By navalbeaver

Thread: Sup

Newbie Reject DI embrace Piston's Avatar

Sup

have an XCR-L
    11" barrel, warcomp
    romeo 8h, bcm afg and pistol grip, and olight mini
    going to get a sig brace + pic rail adapter to make the recoil more inline since this thing likes to climb alot

got a couple questions

any ways to lighten the front of the XCR?
    I see a lot of ar15s with no pic rail ontop of the handguard like the LCR5 handguard and was curious if that's a possibility for the xcr. Honestly might just grind down the pic rail unless that will make it structurally unsound.

accuracy issues?
    here's 20 yards standing with the romeo 8h (basically eotech reticle but a red-dot)
    12" diameter target at 20 yards
    about 4.5" from top impact to bottom impact, 2.75" inches from left to right impact
    I plan on having another person shoot it later to see if its just me.

Sup-1000x1332.jpeg.jpg
    Last edited by Reject DI embrace Piston; 09-27-2020 at 09:30 PM.

Did you buy it new? Did you check barrel retention bolt torque(assuming signts were tight)? Did you try any other ammo? What gas setting are you running on? If it's "climibing", you may need to turn down the gas. I've had several examples with comps that were loud as worlds colliding but they didn't recoil for anything. I'd wager stock(brace?) position isn't going to help much. Also of note, depending on which back end option you're using, the original position of the top/buffer tube on RA stocks were in line with the bore.

Which upper are you running? If you've got a light profile barrel and a keymod upper, you're not going to be able to lighten up the front end much. It's a long stroke piston(even the type 2 still has a lot of stuff up front), it's going to be heavier than a DI up front.
    Sean K. likes this.

bought it new
    tightened the torque till It wont budge
    sight is tight
    i have tried other ammo but I'm trying to zero it for xm193ml1 federal since that's what I've got the most of, so i didnt really make a mental note of the accuracy, ill try that next time at the range
    gas is set to 2
    the warcomp helped the climb compared to the a2 flash hider before it.
    the inline brace should help since I've shot AK's with 2 different stocks, one higher then the other and that made a difference.

my upper is mlok and light profile barrel, I'm aware that pistons are naturally heavier up front due to more mass being up front. Im more just curious if RA plans on making uppers that are entirely mlok at the front or maybe like the pof415 where there's pic rail at the very end

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Reject DI embrace Piston View Post
    bought it new
    tightened the torque till It wont budge
    sight is tight
    i have tried other ammo but I'm trying to zero it for xm193ml1 federal since that's what I've got the most of, so i didnt really make a mental note of the accuracy, ill try that next time at the range
    gas is set to 2
    the warcomp helped the climb compared to the a2 flash hider before it.
    the inline brace should help since I've shot AK's with 2 different stocks, one higher then the other and that made a difference.

my upper is mlok and light profile barrel, I'm aware that pistons are naturally heavier up front due to more mass being up front. Im more just curious if RA plans on making uppers that are entirely mlok at the front or maybe like the pof415 where there's pic rail at the very end
    Keymod will save some weight but not a ton. You'll have to ask RA about custom uppers. They've offered some shaved versions before but I've never seen them omit the top rail. I'm betting you'll have to have a taller top rail of you wanted mlok on top with the op rod just below. Don't think that's going to happen. As mentioned in another thread yesterday; looking at the thickness of the top rail, you're not going to save much weight be shaving it off without exposing the gas tube.

20ftlbs and/or hand tight +1/4 turn are long standing rules of thumb in barrel bolt tightness. It can be tightened too much and bolts have been broken (Sean).
    Sean K. likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by navalbeaver View Post
    Keymod will save some weight but not a ton. You'll have to ask RA about custom uppers. They've offered some shaved versions before but I've never seen them omit the top rail. I'm betting you'll have to have a taller top rail of you wanted mlok on top with the op rod just below. Don't think that's going to happen. As mentioned in another thread yesterday; looking at the thickness of the top rail, you're not going to save much weight be shaving it off without exposing the gas tube.

20ftlbs and/or hand tight +1/4 turn are long standing rules of thumb in barrel bolt tightness. It can be tightened too much and bolts have been broken (Sean).
    Yeah...don't gorilla fist it....getting out the broken bolt without damaging the insert can be done but isn't easy.

As for your grouping....standing isn't the way anyone tests accuracy. I'd suggest from a bench or prone to see what the accuracy really is like.
    tempusfugit and TexasChris like this.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

with my current setup
    11" barrel, std upper, std exposed gas port.
    do you think it might be worth it to go even shorter?
    Like mini upper with 7.5" barrel and port/tube to go with it?
    Last edited by Reject DI embrace Piston; 09-29-2020 at 09:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Reject DI embrace Piston View Post
    with my current setup
    11" barrel, std upper, std exposed gas port.
    do you think it might be worth it to go even shorter?
    Like mini upper with 7.5" barrel and port/tube to go with it?
    That's up to you. I'm personally not a fan of 5.56 in anything shorter than 10ish. 7.5in 300 is more appealing to me than 5.56.
    fmunk, Sean K. and tempusfugit like this.

Sponsors