.22 Caliber AR?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .22 Caliber AR?

.22 Caliber AR?

There are so many of them now, GSG, S&W, SIG, Ruger etc. So if you were purchasing one for your use, which would it be and why? Magazine availability, reliability.............

Thanks.

"Be Vigilant and Safe!!"
    "Molon Labe!!"
    "It Is A Weak Man Who Urges Compromise!!"

Re: .22 Caliber AR?

My brother has the HK 416-22 and I really like it. It always has run 100% and is a blast to shoot. A friend has the S&W M&P 15-22 and it also runs 100% as well. There are some great options out there.

I understand the HK uses the same mags as the Colt AR .22. No problems getting spares out on the internet.

I have a Spikes Tactical complete upper and a S&W M&P 22.....the S&W has been flawless since day one. The mags are longer than the Black Dog Machine or CMMG (which are close the size of real AR mags) but it is a very nice gun for the money.

I'd go with the S&W as all of the ones I know about personally run 100%.

The Spikes took a little tuning to get to run 100% (thanks to Jrsweb here IIRC....he told me what I needed to do to get it running right). I really like it now but it's a lot more expensive.

The Sig 522 is a good 22LR by all accounts. It has the reliability out of the box of the M&P 22 but uses the black dog machine/CMMG style mags. So, if you like those mags better (I only really like them for the size, the M&P 22 mags load more easily)....then it may be the perfect choice for you....but it also depends on if you're looking for a trainer and your primary gun is a SIG 556.

I don't care for the Colt or the HK clone....the first ones had problems with durability as they were cast and built by Umarex. The mags are ridiculously long IMO.

JMO,
    Sean
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Sean K. View Post
    I have a Spikes Tactical complete upper and a S&W M&P 22.....the S&W has been flawless since day one. The mags are longer than the Black Dog Machine or CMMG (which are close the size of real AR mags) but it is a very nice gun for the money.

The Spikes took a little tuning to get to run 100% (thanks to Jrsweb here IIRC....he told me what I needed to do to get it running right). I really like it now but it's a lot more expensive.

The Sig 522 is a good 22LR by all accounts. It has the reliability out of the box of the M&P 22 but uses the black dog machine/CMMG style mags. So, if you like those mags better (I only really like them for the size, the M&P 22 mags load more easily)....then it may be the perfect choice for you....but it also depends on if you're looking for a trainer and your primary gun is a SIG 556.

I don't care for the Colt or the HK clone....the first ones had problems with durability as they were cast and built by Umarex. The mags are ridiculously long IMO.

JMO,
    Sean
    Sean - Have you ever shot or handled the rifles you don't care for? BTW...they have different capacity mags that are shorter if that's an issue for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl AMG View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean K. View Post

JMO,
    Sean
    Sean - Have you ever shot or handled the rifles you don't care for? BTW...they have different capacity mags that are shorter if that's an issue for you.
    No. As I said, it was just my opinion based on the durability issues I saw with the first ones. I want a 25+ round capacity....I just don't want the thing to hang out of the bottom of the gun 10".

Are the Colt/HK clones still a pot metal casting? Are they still made by Umarex? If so, I'm still not interested. No offense intended. Nothing says we have to like the same thing.

Sean
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

I don't know the answer to your questions. I don't even own one. I just know it runs 100% with anything you put in it and feels like a quality piece. I just wondered whether your opinions/comments came from experience or the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl AMG View Post
    I don't know the answer to your questions. I don't even own one. I just know it runs 100% with anything you put in it and feels like a quality piece. I just wondered whether your opinions/comments came from experience or the internet.
    Internet only on the Colt and HK. I think Francis has the HK clone IIRC and likes it.

As for the comments on the Umarex....there are plenty of poor quality testimonials out there. You can choose to ignore them or not. I just read them and took them for what they were.....owners' opinions. Further, the Colt and HK are not at all common and are much more likely to be shelved due to their rarity.

The attachment is one of the cracked pot metal receivers on the Colt Umarex M4. No thanks.

Again JMO (not my experience).

Sean

PS. Mag's a little ridiculous too..... ...guess it's more like a foot.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails .22 Caliber AR?-coltumarex22broke003.jpg   .22 Caliber AR?-coltumarex22broke003.jpg   .22 Caliber AR?-coltumarex22broke003.jpg  

I have a S&W MP15-22 and a CMMG complete upper. Both have cycled as flawlessly as a .22 can while using Walmart Federal value packs. (there is always a dead primer or 2 )

My CMMG upper came with the Bolt hold open device and it's operation has been spotty while the S&W has held open everytime.

If I had to just buy one between the two I have, it would be the S&W again.

YMMV 8)

ETA: I have not played with the other offerings and can't personally comment on them, sorry :-[
    "Tis better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt." - Pres. A. Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by 00000161794
    The prototype 22 conversion for the XCR is at beta testers now. I was able to get my hands on one a few weeks ago and take it apart but not shoot it. it uses black dog machine mags like the AR conversion types, and has a proper 1-14 twist barrel. It's straight blowback and uses a limited movement spring to (mostly) hold the op rod in place while the conversion bolt has it's own spring system to reciprocate properly.

Looked otherwise identical to a 16" light barrel except the gas block was a dummy.

Shot my 545 again today. runs like a top and in spite of not cleaning after the last session there was little to no corrosion and that was limited to the gas block/dial/op rod area. the gas dial and interior of the gas block where the dial rides is chromed.
    How reliable have the 5.45 mags been in the XCR Jack?

Just curious as Tom Aiello has been asking, as well as myself and some others.

Thanks,
    Sean

Quote Originally Posted by 00000161794
    Shot my 545 again today.
    Can just anyone call up RA and order one of those and actually get it? Do you know?

Maybe I'll call Kermit and see if he can find one.

Heck, if the issue is shipping I could drive down to SLC on Friday and pick one up and pay cash.
    - Tom Aiello
    [email protected]

...I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsors