Sbr process question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sbr process question

Sbr process question

When manufacturing an sbr is it best to have your lower engraved before u send in the your form one? Or would it be best to wait for the tax stamp to come back so that you know your new serial number isn't already registered? I know it would be rare that someone else with your initials has registered a NFA item in your city and state, but I would rather only have my lower engraved once.

Re: Sbr process question

I would not engrave before getting the stamp back. This has nothing to do with your firearm serial number but for whatever reason the Stamp could be denied.

"Be Vigilant and Safe!!"
    "Molon Labe!!"
    "It Is A Weak Man Who Urges Compromise!!"

Hey thanks a lot for your reply Merlin. I've also read your engraving has to include model, caliber/gauge, and your city. How have members been doing this with multi caliber platforms like the xcr?

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

The only thing you should have to engrave are your name and location where it was made. Abbreviations are acceptable. Model and all the rest are already on there from the manufacturer. Caliber is marked on the barrel.

Send in your paperwork with a configuration you want. You can change the config/caliber but have to be able to return it to the configuration listed on the Form 1.

I AM NOT A LAWYER!! THE ABOVE IS MY UNDERSTANDING ONLY AND NOT LAW!!

I'll do some looking and see if I can get some links for you.

Quote Originally Posted by navalbeaver View Post
    The only thing you should have to engrave are your name and location where it was made. Abbreviations are acceptable. Model and all the rest are already on there from the manufacturer. Caliber is marked on the barrel.

Send in your paperwork with a configuration you want. You can change the config/caliber but have to be able to return it to the configuration listed on the Form 1.

I AM NOT A LAWYER!! THE ABOVE IS MY UNDERSTANDING ONLY AND NOT LAW!!

I'll do some looking and see if I can get some links for you.
    This is also my understanding.

Let me see if I can explain it without being confusing.

I went the Trust route and the only thing that has to be on the receiver is the name of the trust as it appears on the Stamp. On the Form 1 Application (which is what you receive back with the approval Stamp) you put all the information already on there from the manufacturer like NavalBeaver says; serial number, manufacturer (Robinson Arms) name and address, your name and address, submit in duplicate with copy of Trust (I sent in duplicate too but I do not think was necessary), fingerprints and Head LEO in your area (if not a Trust), length of the rifle. I was told by the NFA dealer/Lawyer that drew up my Trust that the caliber is not necessary but I put more than one anyway, 5.56 etc.

It gets confusing the first time you do it and start trying to find out information, it was for me. The internet and people like me give conflicting information, you just need the correct ones and jump in by starting to fill out the appropriate Form.

This changes a little if you purchase direct from a manufacturer like RA or a NFA dealer and if you use a Trust or not. Form changes and what you submit changes.

Hope this helps.

"Be Vigilant and Safe!!"
    "Molon Labe!!"

Start by deciding if you want to use a Trust or LEO sign off.

"Be Vigilant and Safe!!"
    "Molon Labe!!"

I will probably go the LEO route(that's the way i went with my sparrow I'm still waiting for). Unless anyone here knows a decent lawyer in northern Utah that has experience with NFA items. Sounds like a much easier route. I have been doing some reading on guntrustlawyer.com. Either way i think it the BATFE if fairly unknowing in their own law. i have read several emails from them that have directly conflicted with their own fact page. I should know they are no more organized than any other government organization! ill be doing much more reading.

I'm in SLC, UT. If you want a copy of my Trust forms etc, I can PM you. Let me know. All you would have to do is change the name of the trust and address etc. You'll also see which forms I had to get noterized(sp). Your bank will usually do that for free.

The biggest lesson I learned on doing my SBR: Don't use a long name =p It makes engraving a bitch. something Like XXX Trust (Yes it has to include the word Trust). I then took my lower to a trophy show and had it engraved after I got my stamp.

Beware, after you SBR one, you'll want to SBR everything: Your 22, 308, Car, TV, etc...

Paul
    "I'm reminded of the immortal words of Socrates, " I drank what? "" -- Chris Knight

All guns need to be made more handy don't they? > I already had my savage mark II Hbar cut back to 16" and threaded. Sooo much better. All hail the Accutriger! :bow:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsors