Gas Block Question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gas Block Question

Gas Block Question

I'm having some cycling issues with my new XCR pistol and was wondering, are the gas blocks for the -L the same?

I am under the impression that different gas regulators are changed depending on barrel length, and caliber.

Reason I am asking is I suspect the gas block may be fubar and want to change it out with one I know works to eliminate that possibility.

"Tis better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt." - Pres. A. Lincoln

Re: Gas Block Question

I hate typing too but more info would help. Round count, type of ammo, gas settings, caliber, type mag...............

Not trying to bash just trying to help.

IIRC though the gas ports are a little larger for the pistols.

"Be Vigilant and Safe!!"
    "Molon Labe!!"
    "It Is A Weak Man Who Urges Compromise!!"

I knew that was coming, I was just being lazy

I have 1100 round thru it using a varity of ammo to include M193, M855, AE AR223 from walmart and 64 grn CCI PSP. All rounds have been fired on gas setting number 4 except to try other settings to diagnose the problem. The stoppage is the fired round not being fully ejected ending up as either a stove pipe, or the fired brass double feeding with the the new round trying to be chambered.

Sometimes the brass will leave the rifle and land 20-30 feet away, sometimes it will just dribble out. (not consistant at all) On occasion a fired round will be left in the chamber, but hand cycling removes it without force. I can go an entire mag of 20 with no issues, then using the same mag have 3-4 stoppages as discribed above. I have used several different metal mags to include standard GI, colt 20s, lancer 20 and 30s, pmag 20 and 30s and troy battle mags. All run fine in other rifles including my older XCR rifle.

Except for the inconsistancy, it almost acts like it's under gased. After 1100 rounds on gas setting #4, the reciever buffer still looks brand new. I have checked to make sure the ejector is not interfering with the free travel of the moving parts and it is smooth moving thru the upper. I also made sure the gas block is tight and seated correctly.

I did notice that the copper being depost on the gas plug is off center. On my rifle using 3 different barrels, (5.56 heavy / lite and 7.62x39) it has always been centered. The action of the rifle feels very smooth while hand cycling and all parts look normal. (nothing broken)

I'm thinking gas block, regulator, rough chamber, bad extractor or barrel gas hole is not right. I going to start swapping parts to see if anything changes.
    "Tis better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt." - Pres. A. Lincoln

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

Does it get progressively worst the more rounds per session?

I am thinking tight chamber. Plus I would check that first before messing with the gas block and gas ports. One think pretty simple to try is the 7.62 gas plug with this barrel and block.

"Be Vigilant and Safe!!"
    "Molon Labe!!"

Actually it gets better as the pistol heats up. :-\

As far as the 7.62 gas block and plug, that was what I was thinking. I know that works just fine.

The more I shot my first SBR 5.56 barrel the worst it got and it ended up being the chamber. It would get better if I sprayed some gun oil in the chamber and really went away when I hone it.

The new 11" 1x7 from RA would not eject until I turned up the gas to 4 and lubed the chamber. It was pretty bad and FTE on the first round while jamming in the chamber requiring me to pogo the rifle. I have since honed the chamber but have not gotten a chance to go shooting.

"Be Vigilant and Safe!!"
    "Molon Labe!!"

Hmmmm, well I do have a 223 flex hone brush here at the house. Might just try that 1st since it only take about 10 mins to flex hone and clean afterwards. Can't hurt I guess, plus RA chambers have been problematic in the past.

Let us know how this turns out.

"Be Vigilant and Safe!!"
    "Molon Labe!!"

I was playing around with my pistol last night giving it the once over and noticed the bolt looked a little off. So I had some dummy rounds with me and started to dive in.

I happen to have my XCR extra parts with me, so I pulled out my NIB 223 bolt and measure the bolt face and found the problematic bolt face appears to be .005" oversized. (measured with calipers) The new bolt will hold the non-functioning rounds tight no matter which way I held or moved it. The problematic bolt would not hold them tight at all and they fell off when bolt was moved.

So I cycled the dummy round thru the pistol with both bolts and the new one cycled perfectly and the old one would not. The round feel off the bolt once it left the chamber every time. So it appears my problem is an out of spec bolt

I hope to hit the range this tuesday and function test my findings. As long as nothing else is amiss, I think I found solution to the issue.

Range report forth coming..........

Warranted part I hope................................... Nice! Hope it is all well now.

"Be Vigilant and Safe!!"
    "Molon Labe!!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsors