Coming soon to a police force near you?

Thread: Coming soon to a police force near you?

Coming soon to a police force near you?

Well, I just got back from an Xmas party at my parents. While I was there my dad pulled me aside to show me the front page of our local rag from Thurs. Apparently, the police force of our bustling metropolis of 15,000 people needed an armored Bearcat "anti-terror" vehicle! It comes complete with a very comforting tactical black paint job, multiple gun ports, a shielded turret, and the ability to deploy tear gas. Also, probably a number of other features that weren't disclosed.

Makes me feel so much safer already with all the lucrative terrorist targets in our town! I'm sure the police force's vast intel gathering capabilities and counter-terrorism training will have it smashing down the walls of the residences of all the local terrorist cells in matter of days.

The interesting part of the article, I thought, was the price tag for it at a piddling $362k. I wondered, while I read on, how exactly their budget managed to justify such an obviously out of place vehicle (even the writer pointed out the fact it was more at home on the streets of war zones like Iraq/A-stan) that cost over a third of a million dollars. Or how the tax payers would've sat still for it. Well, turns out a grant from good old Department of Homeland Security paid for it! Wasn't that sweet of them? I'd personally like to thank all of you who pay federal income tax for helping provide my small town with the security it so sorely needs.

All kidding and sarcasm aside, I read about these Bearcats in an article pointing out some odd things DHS was up to such as buying billions of rounds of ammo. I didn't put much stock in it because I hadn't heard about them from any other source, nor did I research it further. I recall the article saying something about train/truck loads of them.

It seems to me this could all be a front to station these armored fighting vehicles all over the country. That way, if "civil unrest" ever occurs, DHS would very conveniently have them ready to go in place to be commandeered.

Does that sound too paranoid or is the very real concern I'm feeling justified?

Re: Coming soon to a police force near you?

That must've been in the works for some time...most of the DHS grants have dried up.

Still seems pretty silly for a town of 15,000...must have a interdepartmental agreement to deploy wherever needed.
    Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Oh, maybe they're using it to dig out their police bunkers after the order comes down to try to confiscate magazines and assault weapons...they'll need some place to hide. :duh:

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

The ammo thing is true....

http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/...mmunition.html

There are several other articles from other sources out there.

I can't remember where I read it, but allegedly, DHS graduated its first class of "civilian defense force" members that Obama talked about prior to the 2008 election in September.

http://www.glennbeck.com/2012/10/19/...s-first-class/

And....DHS was soliciting to buy a bunch of HK UMP40 submachine guns.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

Thanks, Sean...I think it was an article about the FEMA Corps. (pronounced CORPSE, not CORE according to President Barry Soetoro, e.g. Navy Corpseman) where I read about the DHS armored fighting vehicles.

From a few other articles I've skimmed online when I've had time last night/today, DHS has provided numerous grants making it possible for local fuzz to obtain these military grade vehicles. I even saw a few examples of smaller towns than mine getting them! I also find it strange that there weren't any mentions I found in my admittedly limited research about state police forces getting them. At least that would make a little bit more sense to me.

So the only two explanations I can come up with aren't very comforting: either our cops are, yet again, becoming more militarized, or DHS is hiding these things in plain sight for possible future use.

Quote Originally Posted by Trip5896 View Post

So the only two explanations I can come up with aren't very comforting: either our cops are, yet again, becoming more militarized, or DHS is hiding these things in plain sight for possible future use.
    I'm thinking it's a little bit of both.

"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

The Oregon State Police keep APCs spread around the state. A few years back we had a shooting, the shooter barricaded himself in a single wide trailer. In came the APC and they used it to smash through the trailer. The shooter had already shot himself hours before, obviously unknown to the police. They absolutely destroyed that singlewide. About a year after that incident we had another standoff and when the state police showed up, the perp was quoted as saying oh shit as he slammed the front door shut, after peeking out. A rookie trooper couldn't understand the man's response until being filled in on the previous event. That fellow gave up. The OSP have been very quiet about there APC's. The dead give away was how quickly it arrived in our remote part of the state! Makes me warm and fuzzy all over.
    "Spes Mea in Deo Est"--My hope is in GOD
    The antidote for fifty enemies is one friend.--Aristotle

The masses are worried about gun owners... claiming "if you have it you're likely to use it" when it's really the Police they need to worry about. How many rounds were fired a while back in New York by the police when there was just one gunman? and how many innocent bystanders got hit?

:duh:

Personally, I'd love to have a surplus APC to cruise around SoCal. Would be hilarious in stop-and-go.
    Fool-proofing serves only one purpose: identify bigger fools.

A Marine Corp Company I was stationed with had Bearcats. We used them to help transport our Reaction Force around the base. They can hold up to 12 fully armed Marines, including driver and turrent gunner, if I remember correctly. Pretty sure a .50 cal AP round would buzz through them though, but thier website says it will has armour to withstand multiple .50cal hits. Having been inside one, I would not take it against a .50cal machinegun or sniper rifle. And they are designed more for police than military. In a police scenerio, they would be used to transport SWAT, or possibly as a small, armoured, mobile command post.

https://www.rkb.us/contentdetail.cfm?content_id=157103
    There ain't many problems a man can't fix- with $700 and a 30-06!

fmunk, it was 16 rounds fired, and 9 bystanders injured, three by direct bullet hits, and the other six by fragments and richochets. I've seen the surveillance video, and it doesn't look like either officer had a clue what he was doing with his weapon. One is obviously shooting one handed and the other also appears to be shooting one handed. It also looks like one of the officers nearly shot the other. One officer appears to be within 10 feet of the suspect through the whole thing, and the other is backing away as he shoots, one handed, and looks like he is maybe 20-25 feet away at the end of the shooting. The suspect didn't move more than 6 feet from the time he turned around to confront the officers till the time he collapsed, so it's not like he was moving enough to excuse their poor marksmanship.

Now, while I've never had anyone shooting (real bullets) back at me (actually, these officers didn't either--the perp's never fired at them) I think I'd still be embarrassed to have fired as many rounds as they fired at a slow moving, man-sized target and only hit it 7 times. 9 clean misses at that distance is simply inexcusable for anyone with even a modicum of training.

Sponsors