New AR issues
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New AR issues

New AR issues

Took the new build to the range Sunday. Insert a mag, pull the charging back, let go. The bolt picks up a round from the mag, pushes forward about 2/3rds the way and stops. Feels like it doesnt have enough spring in the buffer to really push it home.

This is my first AR and overall I'm new to the platform-

POF 415 lower
    STAG LPK
    Vltor MUR upper (w/ shell deflector and forward assist)
    Fail Zero BCG (5.56)
    Spike's FN mid length optimum profile barrel (5.56) 16"
    HERA arms railed hand guard
    BCM buffer tube, spring and H1 buffer
    BCM charging handle.

Also had my 16" 5.56 XCR with me so I could switch between them to get a real sense of the differences.

AR- Less felt recoil, feels overall a bit lighter maybe just a few ounces only. Hate the charging handle

XCR- More recoil, everything else though is a win though. I guess having started with this rifle everything else is gonna feel less than equal.

Also sighted in my Lucid HD7 on the XCR. Nice red dot for the price.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New AR issues-img_3739.jpg  
    For a man who'd trade his liberty for a safe and dreamless sleep, Doesn't deserve the both of them and neither shall he keep

Re: New AR issues

I also have a Lucid, it is really nice, esp for the price.
    “If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”
    Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by saberune View Post
    XCR- More recoil, everything else though is a win though. I guess having started with this rifle everything else is gonna feel less than equal.
    Where is your gas set?
    - Tom Aiello
    [email protected]

...I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

Took the new build to the range Sunday. Insert a mag, pull the charging back, let go. The bolt picks up a round from the mag, pushes forward about 2/3rds the way and stops. Feels like it doesnt have enough spring in the buffer to really push it home.

POF 415 lower
    STAG LPK
    Fail Zero BCG (5.56)
    BCM charging handle.

Also had my 16" 5.56 XCR with me so I could switch between them to get a real sense of the differences.

AR- Less felt recoil, feels overall a bit lighter maybe just a few ounces only. Hate the charging handle

This is kind of a dumb question, but is it lubed up? That is the only realistic thing that I can think of that would prevent your bolt from going into full battery. Even so, personally, I'd call POF and ask what's going on. I hear that they have pretty good customer service.

It's just a POF lower....I'd guess the problem is more likely to be in the upper.

However, the bolt does look dry. ARs generally need to be wet to run reliably. When new, they really benefit from some lube.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

Very light coat of lube on the BCG as per fail zero instructions. I'll coat it a little more thoroughly and see if that helps. Doesn't feel like anything with the POF lower would be influencing the buffer/BCG but I'll give them a call anyway.

Gas setting on the XCR was at 3, turned it down to 2 and eventually 1 which seemed to help a little. Recoil isn't bad, just more noticeable after putting 5 rounds through the AR, then 5 on the XCR, then back to 5 on the AR. Forgot to mention also- LOVE the ACR stock on the XCR; first time I shot with it and feels/functions great!

Could be because I started with the XCR over an AR, as opposed to a lot of people, but the XCR just feels more "right" even with the slight increase in the recoil. Shooting both with iron sights, weight feels close though the AR might be a couple of ounces lighter. Haven't properly weighed the two.

Overall it was a great day for shooting, slayed a lot of paper targets and had a lot of fun.
    For a man who'd trade his liberty for a safe and dreamless sleep, Doesn't deserve the both of them and neither shall he keep

Same thing happened to a friend. newly put together AR, all excited etc... and it just wouldn't cooperate. I just dipped my finger into the golden pot of Mobile1 and let it drip in the ejection port........ and no problems since.
    hope for the best, prepare for the worst, and make hay while the sun shines!

Quote Originally Posted by Zog117 View Post

POF 415 lower
    STAG LPK
    Fail Zero BCG (5.56)
    BCM charging handle.

This is kind of a dumb question, but is it lubed up? That is the only realistic thing that I can think of that would prevent your bolt from going into full battery. Even so, personally, I'd call POF and ask what's going on. I hear that they have pretty good customer service.
    I agree 100% I have two or three brand spanking new rifles act this way. I had a m92 krink custom build that i had to use a cleaning rod and a rubber mallet and some wd40 to get the casing out of the chamber....spray a little lubrican't inside there maybe even swab the whole barrel with an oiled pad and try it again. usually after 100-200 rounds it's all loosened up and good to go...

shut you dirty bastards with your warped minds!! ;-P

Agree with the others. It's a new gun with a tight chamber so just needs more lube. Here is what I would do:

1) Give the chamber a good scrubbing.
    New guns are not only tighter, but they also have more rough spots that need to be smoothed out. Using the rifle helps smooths things out, but cleaning it also helps.

2) Liberally LUBE her up with Mobil-1.
    I can't say enough about Liberal Lube of Mobil-1, and don't worry about over lubing because there is no such thing.

3) Use only brass case ammo for say the first 200 rounds or so.
    Reason for this, is because brass properly expands and seals the chamber. With steel casing, the cases do not properly expand, so you will get more fouling on the chamber walls. More fouling in chamber means rounds will not properly seat in chamber. The same thing will happen with a dirty gun, or if you shoot Steel case ammo for a good period of time, then all of sudden switch to brass cases.

Lubed it up liberally with Mobile 1, ran the action several dozen times to let it get in where it needs to. I'll let it sit until next weekend when I get back out to the range, then lube again before firing. Only putting PMC brass through this and the XCR. I still have a few thousand rounds of it to go through before needing to order more.

Thanks for the advice!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsors